• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Meet my new english parakeet- Sad Update Post #48

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks for all the great comments. We have some lucky budgies here.

:dance4:
gREAT DAY
She was singing so pretty today & talking to me So cute.
sAT ON MY FINGER WHILE EATING MILLET caps sorry.
Paces by the door wanting millet.

They are actually very smart birds.

She did play & chomp with arugula today. Shaved some carrot too but no interest.

I'm getting scared she won't eat right.
trying to get her to chomp on a sprig of broccoli & romaine leaf placed on bottom of cage
No luck
:cool:

Still I am thankful she is as tame/ gentle as she is.
Never bit me with all the handling
:dancing:

As fot talking its not everything
I love her song. not harsh like other parakeets. very melodic
:eek:

Last edited:

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
LOVE the name... ;). I have had several wonderful budgie hens. One of them even talked. Try some cooked brown rice, quinoa pasta, or oat meal. A couple of mine also liked broccoli and corn on the cob. Lovely baby.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you get some bag clips your adorable girl may be more interested in the green food if you hang it from top or sides of cage. Food on the bottom of a cage may not be interesting to her. What kind of seed blends did you decide to food her?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Would frozen peas & corn be good of course at room temp?
I can soak some oats or whole grain cereal.
Tried that today with some Bob Redmills no sugar granola. Came out nice but no interest.
I even bought Cheerios which seem to be a bird fav & no luck.

I'll try hanging the lettuce with a clothes pin wooden.
I bought Volkman cockatiel no sun. Only parakeet seemed to Vitakraft & a unknown brand
Will have to decide on another parakeet mix to supplement as she doesn't eat safflower seeds like I hoped she'd enjoy.

There appears to be a good keet mix Higgins Supreme but says sold only in 50 lb bags

:rofl:

It's a busy week. Have to get her some more things this weekend. Look for a nice swing.

Would Bubbles be hard for her to say?
Still hoping to get a hello pretty bird & her name out of her.
Least she is very quiet. Almost no sound at all. Wonder if she'll get more vocal as she matures.
If she still has some blue on cere she's probably young?

:wideyed:

Four 5 minute lessons today. Last one she just got on my hand & stayed there with no millet. Just shook her feathers out & preened herself. That means she was comfy right?
:hug8:

A few more sweet sounds followed by some beak grinding as sh'es settling in for bed

:dance5: :laughing12:

Thanks Everyone,
Made it thru another day

:dancing:

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't know where you live in S. Calif but there is a Discount Bird Supply in the San Fernando Valley and they sell a variety of Volkman seeds.
There are probably other bird stores or feed stores that might sell it. I know that Petsmart and Petco don't carry it. You can also order from Volkman via Seed Factory.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I do live in SFV buts its big & i am travel challeneged & use buses.

:(

Will she be happy with just me? She was with 10 other birds & seems to enjoy herself being the queen of her castle. If I got her a mate I'd lose ability to bond with her & most likely have more noise.
Still I love her sounds & would enjoy more.
Do all parakeets sing?
Its a pretty 3 note song.
She can let out some loud clear chirps when she wants but mostly very soft.

Just thinking about now would be the time to get one of her cage mates so they could be friends.
Just thoughts thiough personally one is all I want to handle as I have enough to do with one.
I'd hate to lose my sweet friend & suppose new one is a biter.
Can't have 2 cages so they have to get along & 2 females don't get along & anyway I'd like a male so would have possibility of mating

Yikes taming is not for me but I'm doing it for this one.

:D

Last edited:

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
She's really cute! I used to looove english budgies. I do find them really atractive with their big heads xD but they are suppose to live less than a regular budgie, and that makes me think it may be because they did something wrong with their genetics, they're the same specie than australian budgies but they're bigger and such.

I love spangles too! I only have one dilute spangle but i wish someday have the chance to let him breed and have baby spangles :3. Your bird seems to be a cobalt blue to me rather than a sky blue, sky blues are more likely like a tourquise. If she isn't as bright as a sky blue and doesn't look like a cobalt she may be violet sky blue which is going to make her look lighter than cobalt but darker than a sky blue. You can check into her tail feathers and check if she has any violet reflexes in her feathers.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Lettuce has mostly water and little nutrition. Here are a few greens to look for in order of nutritional value: dandelion greens, kale, carrot tops. There are more but these are the top 3 in my world. My budgies really do not eat fruit or grains. My Chipper, the male, will eat what I am eating and will fly onto my fork or spoon to get some. My female, Daisy, is very quiet most of the time and does not say words. Very rare to have a female budgie saying human words.

I had Chipper about 5 months before I got Daisy both from the same breeder but not same parents.
They are both mature enough to breed and I have dummy eggs at the ready. Daisy is so bossy to Chipper I do not think she will let him mate with her. You will need to quarantine a second bird to keep everyone healthy. Cages for budgies are not all that expensive.

It is a good idea to take her for a wellness visit with an avian vet. That way you will have someone to trim the nails. I have a groomer come to my home for that about once every 2 to 3 months. I will never clip wings as flying is what they love to do.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Stood on my finer 5 plus minutes, Didn't want to get off. preened herself.
Then we had a step up to other hand twice.
Also she has been "talking" more today

:dancing: :laughing12:

Thanks
Would love for her to some violet. She does have some violet blue on the back of her head & under ear area. I sa some cobalts & they were midnight dark blue. I thought cobalt was dark blue which than she is not...like a bright navy is that cobalt?

I'd love to breed for a violet or any spangle but that's just in my dreams as I have enough with this lil one

:unsure1:

Thanks have to get some kale but unlikely she will eat it since no interest in romaine clipped to side of cage either.

Her nails were trimmed & flights clipped so I could get a chance to tame her. I could not have done it flighted. Also she tried to fly into a window today. Actually she jumped on it from her perch near her cage when I had door open.

I really don't have room for 2 cages. Now would be the time to decide as I would get one of her cagemates from the pet store.

She was more vocal today ooops wouldn't want it all day non stop so maybe a female is good.
:wacky:

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
More pics Not so clear but hard time getting a shot from back side which is slightly deeper blue almost like carribbean ocean...whatever its called its pretty.

I also like the dilute spangles that appear sort of one color from head to tail.

bubbles P1160104.jpg

bubbles P1160106.jpg

Getting ready for bed singing a song so sweet

:heart:

Attachments

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is a little gift for you and Bubbles. It could be placed as a signature. Directions in the How to Forum bubbles eb.jpg

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
What a pretty little budgie! :heart: Congrats!

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
She's adorable. I've never seen a budgie that likes to cuddle. You hit the jackpot!! :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She's adorable. I've never seen a budgie that likes to cuddle. You hit the jackpot!! :)
Maybe it must make her feel safe? She did it again today.

Did some nice step ups from hand to hand a few times. Not bad for 5 days
She is also getting more vocal & serenaded me with some nice song today

Let's see if siggy works..uploaded it to AA photobucket so will have to get code.

:huh:

Last edited:

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Oh my word, she is so cute...I cant stand it!