• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ZuPreem?

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
I recently purchased some ZuPreem pellets for my loveys and it is one of the only kind of pellets that they will actually eat. Is this a recommended brand for full time basic meals?

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Many have indicated that it is a little high in sugar but I use it with my 38 year old African Gray. He won't eat the other brands (although we are trying). I am still learning a lot about feeding birds the "new" way. When I first got Walter all that was available was the seed diet. The early pellets weren't much better but we have come a long way on understanding the nutritional needs of birds. I am sure some of the experts will fill you in on details.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I like to give a little seed as well as pellets. You can give seed as a teaspoonful sprinkled over some fresh veggies. Peas, peppers, leafy veg, carrots etc :)

Stars

Strolling the yard
I use some zupreem and I think it’s ok. Mainly I use harrisons with a variety of seeds and crushed nuts sprinkled in, different ones each day. I also feed fresh veggies. Mine will only eat the really tiny pieces so I chop it in the food processor.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I asked Zupreem how much of their recipe is sugar and they said less than 3%. So it really is a small amount and nowhere near the exaggerated claims people like to make.

My Jardine's eats a diet of 90% Zupreem FruitBlend. Is it my favorite pellet? No, but it is the one he will eat :) Fresh veggies and seeds should definitely be part of the diet for lovies!

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I asked Zupreem how much of their recipe is sugar and they said less than 3%. So it really is a small amount and nowhere near the exaggerated claims people like to make.

My Jardine's eats a diet of 90% Zupreem FruitBlend. Is it my favorite pellet? No, but it is the one he will eat :) Fresh veggies and seeds should definitely be part of the diet for lovies!
That sounds about like Walter's diet. He is learning to eat more veggies and less seeds.

Stars

Strolling the yard

that’s good to know

clarousel

Many here will say the best pellet is the one your bird will eat! :)

I started Preeno on Zupreem naturals and he currently eats mainly Mazuri mini bird.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
ZuPreem is the only pellet my cockatiel will eat. I've tried other brands with no luck. My vet says ZuPreem is fine and is much better than seeds. I've just accepted it and try to get Bowie to eat his vegetables.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That sounds about like Walter's diet. He is learning to eat more veggies and less seeds.
I've been working with Ripley for 3 years now! We take it one day at a time. He's basically 90% pellets, 5% seed and 5% veggies. He was on 100% seed for 19 years before I got him!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My U2 Jasmine (age 22) was started on Zupreem natural as a young bird. She wasd 7 months old when I got her. I was given Zupreem feeding sticks back then. They are huge pellets. I had to soak them in water & feed one at a time. She'd eat around 10-12 of them per feeding. Since then she has eaten Zupreem natural. She usually swallows one pellet whole, takes a drink, swallows a pellet, take a drink.

Jengo (CAG age 22) was sold to the pet store at age 6 months. The hobby breeder had put her on a all seed diet. She eats Pretty Bird African Special pellets.

JaJaBinks (B&G Macaw passed August 2020 age almost 22) ate Zupreem natural pellets.

JaKhu (B&G Macaw 1 yr 5 months) was started on Roudybush by the parrot store as they weaned her. She hates them. I tried Zupreem natural, but she won't eat them either. She will eat Zureem Fruit Blend. I just got the Zupreem Veggie Blend & will see if she likes those, because she loves veggies.

They all get some seed mix & veggies. Fruit I limit to a chunk of banana, or a grape, or a slice of apple, or a chunk of melon, etc. & they don't get fruit daily.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I've been working with Ripley for 3 years now! We take it one day at a time. He's basically 90% pellets, 5% seed and 5% veggies. He was on 100% seed for 19 years before I got him!
That’s a lot of progress. Walter was about 60/40 pellets to seed and mostly fruits with some veggies but now we are about 85% pellets, 12% veggies and the rest in a small seed treat in the evening. The big thing is I have added variety to the seeds. My sunflower seed junky now gets 1 sunflower seed after his medicine. I am now trying to add a variety of grains and legumes such as lentils and quinoa.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Many have indicated that it is a little high in sugar but I use it with my 38 year old African Gray. He won't eat the other brands (although we are trying). I am still learning a lot about feeding birds the "new" way. When I first got Walter all that was available was the seed diet. The early pellets weren't much better but we have come a long way on understanding the nutritional needs of birds. I am sure some of the experts will fill you in on details.
Thankyou for responding!

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Many here will say the best pellet is the one your bird will eat! :)

I started Preeno on Zupreem naturals and he currently eats mainly Mazuri mini bird.
Ah yea true! They seem to be liking these more than most I’ve tried