• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoey at the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Well I came down with a head cold Friday morning. I left work at lunch to get a handle on it so it wouldn't totally destroy me. I managed to get myself partially under control enough to get Zoey to her bet appointment. They took updates from me and more blood from her. The tests are to concentrate on her liver. She's still got sinus inflammation so she's on a new round a baytril and another drug for sinus relief. She's about the same. I set her back up in her regular cage with perch and ladder placement so she can get around without trouble. She seems happier with more room.

I spent the rest of Saturday on the couch miserable from my cold. It wasn't as bad as it could have been though. I'm still not 100% but I'll be good by the weekend.

I've exhausted myself otherwise re-educating myself on diets. Very frustrating. But I think I'm on track.

I was talking to my pet sitter about it. And she cleared my conscience. I've kind of been wondering what I did wrong. And Lyn said "Holly, you didn't do anything wrong. Cockatiels are prone to liver trouble. Birds get sick just like we do. It could be breeding issues, genetics, etc" she said that compared to many parrot owners she's dealt with over the years, she's come across few that try and take care of my birdstad well as I do. I told her I've thought we never should have pulled them from the trees in the first place. We can never do as good a job at taking care of them as they would be in their natural habitat. They were never meant to be in our homes. We can do the best that we can and hope its good enough. anyway the talk with her made me feel better. It made me revisit thoughts I had forgotten about for a while. It's not about me it's about them.

With all the opinions and ••••••••••• people we have in our avian society (parrot people in general) (I've come across some nasty opinionated parrot people in my life.) None of us really has any control or "the right way" of caring for these amazing creatures.

We can only do the best with what knowledge we have and what seems to work for our flock. What works for one may not work for another. We can only be as kind and as sharing and supportive and knowledgable as possible with each other. Arguing or making others feel little for not doing things one way do nothing but alienate people.

So now that my personal rant is over...

We'll see what the blood results on the liver say and go from there.

Updates as they come.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Well her 2nd round of blood work confirmed the triglycerides are high. The vet wants to do an X-ray to see what's going in inside. I'm dropping her off in the morning.

I made a new batch of chop today too. All veggie. Zoey is off carbs for now so I'll add the grain sprouts to everyone else's dishes separately.

I'm looking into ordering a seed mix (for sprouting) from china praire. I've heard good things.

I'm feeling better from my cold. After my last post to this thread I'm not surprised no one responded. I ranted like angry caique.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
:hehe: Feels good to unload doesn't it. I hope everything goes well @ the vets. Post pictures of your sprouting efforts, I'm interested in trying this myself. :hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hoping for a good X-ray and continue to feel better from your cold...:hug8:

Parrotadise

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
when do you except to hear back on the xray? sending healing vibes to you and Zoey and you both get well soon!

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Thanks for the support! and yes sometimes it feels good to unload. Thank God i have a place that understands this, AA is good things :).

I'll know more in the morning when I drop her off. They're doing the xray there in the office, so I assume we'll know something by the end of the day. I'll post when I know more.

Thanks! a

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my tiels has liver problems. How that came to be, no one can tell me. Sometimes it just happens, I guess.
If A&M is helping to treat Zoey, it doesn't get much better than that. Good luck with the x-ray. Don't forget to take care of yourself too! All the worry has probably made you a little susceptible to a bug. :hug8:

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
It's her ovaries! They're "huge" according to the vet. The X-ray went well. Her liver is doing ok considering. But the elevated triglycerides and cholesterol are a result of her over active reproductive system. She's had a Lupron shot and will have another in 2 weeks. We'll finish her meds and work to keep her from getting breedy (thats what I call it). The neurological syptoms are a result of what the vet called an egg yolk stroke. The body gets so wrapped up in moving cholesterol etc it strokes. She already looks better than she has. The vet thinks the neurological symptoms could reverse completely. But it will take time.

It all makes sense. She's been very nesty this year. She layed 3 eggs. Last year she layed 1.

I hope we can get her better and keep this from happening again.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Oh my! I'm glad you have a diagnosis and a treatment plan, now. Good luck! :hug8:

Ashling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mel
I just read through from the beginning of this thread, it was such a mystery at first but I'm glad you're getting all your answers now. I need to get my tiel's insides checked out too. I'm afraid it's his liver cause he was on a mostly seed diet for his first 6 years. All the best for the future with your tiel I will be interested to know how she goes.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Holly, I have been following this thread and so glad they found out what was going on. Prayers all gets resolved.:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.