• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoey at the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Zoey (Cockatiel) is at the 24/7 emergency vet for treatment,testing & observation. We took her this morning. She had remnants of regurgitation on her face, head shaking, puffy sleepy appearance and no interest in eating. I also didn't see any fecal matter in her overnight poops. She hadn't seemed quite right last night either but it just didn't click in my head. Then Robbie said she hadn't been very responsive to him earlier that day ( she loves him!)

Her initial exam went well. Her lungs and heart sounded good. Her poops had started showing more normal and there were no parasites or bacterial concerns. She has red enflamed nares and there are two symmetrical bumps below the nostrils. There is concern that there is a chronic upper respiratory infection, possibly chlamydia, or the vet also thinks Vitamin A issues.

They're keeping her 24 hours at least. I'm very confident in the vets. They were very knowledgable and had extensive experience and resources. The avian vet there has already sent photos and other information to A& M for consult. (the spouse is one of the vets at A&M) They were very thorough in their explanation and discussion and took in any information from me they could get.
They were impressed with my knowledge and observations as well. We were there for at least 2 hours through initial testing and history/diagnosis discussion.

She will end up being taken to our regular avian vet Monday for blood testing most likely.

My thought is that she has an infection that stemmed from a beak puncture she had about a month ago. They're working with all the symptoms though and we should know more tomorrow. I just called there to check and they said she has had her antibiotics and subcutaneous fluids and is stable.

The good news is it all seems to be up in her head. Her weight is 103grams. High but they didn't consider her obese and the weight could be on her side.
The diagnosis is in the works. Prayers would be appreciated.

I've probably left out a few things but I'm pretty well worn out. Once we got home I had I tend to the others and do a general cleaning in the bird room. Though I was told not to do anything different than I normally would until we get the diagnosis figured.

I just wanted to share the situation. I'll add updates and more details as they come.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
:hug8: for you and Zoey. Hope everything turns out well and she is back at home with you soon.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
For you and Zoey :hug8:

Parrotadise

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I hope everything is OK for Zoey :hug8:for you both

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
My guess is the A&M vet is Dr Hoppis and she is excellent. Prayers sent for a speedy recovery. It really helps knowing your pet so vets can have the best information.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
She's home. She's on baytril and doxycycline for at least the next couple of weeks. Robbie picked her up from the emergency hospital and took her to our vet this morning for a quick exam and to have blood taken. They said they were going to rush the blood work but it will still take a few days if not a week. We have a follow up scheduled for the 7th at this point. She's eating and drinking and even preening a little. But she's not quite herself. She basically looks like she's been through the ringer. And shes a little wobbly. But the vets where happy with her progress.

We set her up in a smaller temporary cage for now. I used a comfy cross perch so she doesn't have to climb. I gave her a dish of herb salad and she dug into it. She also ate some pellet and Goldenfeast Australian blend. She needs rest mostly.

I'll be a wreck inside until the blood work comes back. Our other birds are all symptom free at this point. There's a chance we may have to medicate everyone at some point.

I've decided an overhaul of the toy collection etc is in order but not until we get her well. Even the vet has suggested any major changes should be put on hold until we figure it all out.

I'm worried more than anything and just trying to better understand what's happened to cause this so I can fix it and do my best to prevent it. It's a learning opportunity.

I'll update as we progress.

I'm drained and exhausted.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Glad to see Zoey is home Holly. Sounds like the vets will get to the bottom of this. :heart:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Keeping you in my heart and thoughts. Get better, little tiely girl. :heart:

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. This is really puttinge through the ringer. Shes doing ok. Though she keeps holding her head funny. She has full motor function but she's still a little wobbly. I think the head tilt and the wobbly might be a nerve damage. Though it too seems to be getting better as she has more control. She's still eating and pooping normally. She is also preening. Not completely but she is so that's good too.

I just wish we had another room. I'd love to keep her where she didn't have to be near Ravi. He's so loud compared to everyone else. And he's been loud since all this started happening.

(another thing to consider when adding to your flock, if someone gets sick it makes it difficult to take care of everyone)

She looked pretty good tonight and that makes me feel a little better.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry you and Zoey are going through this. How is Zoey doing today?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Thank you for asking :) I really appreciate it. In general she is doing well. Eating whatever I offer and preening. Poops are good. But her equilibrium is still out of whack. Her head is still cocked to one side when she's stationary. Though she is still able to turn it all around when she needs too. Its a very weird thing. I spent about 30 mins with her sitting on my chest while I gave her scritches earlier. She really enjoyed them. She's good about taking her meds too which is helpful.

I can't just let her out though. When she tries to fly she's out of control and unbalanced I don't want her to hurt herself.

I'm afraid she's sustained nerve damage either from infection or from stress at the vet. It's difficult to see her this way but I'm getting through it.

Next Saturday we go for a follow up. I'm hoping to hear about the blood work sooner.

Continued prayers would be appreciated. This whole thing has really humbled me.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Poor baby...prayers and :hug8:

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
Blood results came in Monday. The Chlamydiosis test came back negative thank God. But the rest of her numbers are a mess. Her cholesterol is through the roof of a sky scraper and her liver enzymes are up too. I'll get the numbers on Saturday.

Basically the vet believes we are dealing with multiple issues. Sinusitis, liver trouble, cholesterol so high it probably caused the neurological issues we're seeing. It's a bit of a nightmare and I'm disappointed in myself. But the thing I need to focus on is to fix it and we think we can.

We have immediately removed most carbs from the diet. I haven't been making chop in a couple of years just mini salads during the week for them. Well that's just not cutting it. I just posted a pick of my first batch of chop in a long while. Turned out pretty good. Everyone was tails up for dinner.

The good thing is she will eat anything so I should be able to turn this thing around. We'll be doing more testing on Saturday and after that and the exam go from there.

She's doing well considering. I think even the neurological issues are getting better. But I can't let her fly. It's a mess. I may have the vet trim her primaries though I'm not sure that would help. She had a bath today which went very well and she's even playing with toys and chewing up shredders a little. She's there she's fighting the good fight.

I've jumped back into Feeding Feathers yahoo group. I've not actively posted there in a long time. But Shauna welcomed me back with great advice. I spent part of today reading through files and posts. It's like an awakening. I hate that it had to happen this way but I'm trying not to feel to badly. I'm embarrassed more than anything. How could I let this happen. I feel stupid really. As much as I know and research...never stop learning!

This weekend after the follow up we're doing a big clean. I'm going to sort through the closet and toys and all my stuff and get back on track.

Hope everyone has had a good fourth. I've enjoyed my day off and spending some extra time with the birds. We smoked some ribs and made some chop! Doesn't get much more American than that I suppose.

Parrotadise

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I am glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction and will continue to send healing vibes your way

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe ....but so glad you can turn this around and get Zoey better...that chop looked amazing BTW...a very good start!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's good you have such a positive attitude and it seems you have a good AV, you have a treatment plan and that you know what you are doing. Seems like Zoey is in very good hands. I hope she feels better soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.