• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ziva: a puppy farm baby?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting! But could it go the other way and the longer muzzle dog end up with a squished face?
No idea! I imagine so? Unless the squished face is a recessive gene?

From this website it says that there are health advantages if the dogs are carefully crossbred, but some health issues are common across breeds, and so they could still show up in the pups. There's also the issue of the female giving birth to the babies, if the stud dog is much bigger or has a large head. It seems like its complex issue, and as I said, most people aren't doing it to help the dogs in anyway :(

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
No idea! I imagine so? Unless the squished face is a recessive gene?

From this website it says that there are health advantages if the dogs are carefully crossbred, but some health issues are common across breeds, and so they could still show up in the pups. There's also the issue of the female giving birth to the babies, if the stud dog is much bigger or has a large head. It seems like its complex issue, and as I said, most people aren't doing it to help the dogs in anyway :(
I think we'll need to do some research into this.

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
'Puppy Mill' is the terminology in the US. Some states are starting to ban the sale of puppies in stores to close that revenue for puppy mills. However, people (and rescues) are still able to get puppies from the mills.

Unfortunately, not a lot of people know how to find an ethical breeder - someone who loves their dogs, cares for them, health and temperament tests to produce sound pups, and will always take back their pups.

Cross-breeding is not bad. But it should involve a purpose (improve breed, work/sport, new breed, etc) and not be for $$$$ (like most companion "designer" breeds). Usually if a 'breeder' is advertising a dog with a designer name - the breeder is a mill or byb and there is a good chance the dog is not exactly what they say. I see a lot of 'I bought dog as a/b and did a DNA test - it was a/c/d/e/f/...'.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There used to be some puppy mills close to where I live now but I’m pleased to say they got closed down a few years back when locals caught on to why there was so many little fenced off kennels in a huge paddock. They were the saddest looking set ups I’ve ever seen for keeping any animal in :(

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My uncle, an ex-cop, got a German Shepard from Holland (we live here in the states). But they don't care for it, poor thing doesn't have a yard (despite all the land the have), lives in a crate it can't stand up in, and has received 0 training. As you can imagine, the dog is very aggressive and hates everyone, including the entire family (which has 2 kids).

And to think, this guy was a K-9 handler.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have got an update for you.

She still won't eat. She has a very high white blood cell count and is really really not well at all. If she doesn't eat soon, she'll basically starve to death.

As much as I think it must only be done to protect the animal/another animal, I think she would be best put to sleep.

I will update more as it comes up

Last edited:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Sorry it's been a while.

I am happy to report that my fear was just a fear! She is home now, and was running around playing just this morning! She is perfectly healthy, let's hope it stays this way!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Nice update - glad she´s ok :)

Reactions: Ali