• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zippy the finch, Vertigo

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Zippy had a night fright on our way to bed last night. I don't know why, but there have been lots of storms, lightning and such which may have scared him. That said I am unsure if he had a stroke or other medical episode. I am unsure of his age since he was adopted.

He seems to be navigating much better this morning. It has been about 8 hours since the incident. I placed water and food low for him and I saw him drink. I haven't seen him eat yet. He seems to be flying better this morning. He can perch. He is also showing signs of vertigo. Leaning his head over to the side and looking up sometimes. I am unsure what he personally is experiencing. He isn't singing at all, which is not normal for him, he has vocalised a bit though.

My plan today is to watch him, make sure he is eating. If he was concussed from his night fright he should improve. If he isn't eating, I will need to get him to the vet.

send good vibes to Zippy. He is a very special little guy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he's okay!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Maybe give some electrolytes? Hugs to Zippy.
What ratio do I use? Is it sugar water? or honey? That is a good idea. I have seen him eat a little, but not his usual amounts. He is visiting the water dish regularly so that is a very good idea.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Zippy, get better real quick! :bighug:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh poor Zippy! Get better, little one!

Jogging around the block
I agree electrolytes would be a good idea,
This is the mixture I use in a pinch. I haven't tried it but I hear good things about 50/50 unflavoured Pedialyte and water too.
1 Cup water (warm, Non-chlorinated)
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Hoping Zippy gets well soon, he is in good hands.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He is doing so good right now, about 15hrs since the incident. He still hasn't sung, once he does I will let everyone know. He is eating, drinking, beeping, preening and even helping Peppy with pins. I think he is going to pull through. He still seems a little off balance at the tall portal feeder. But I added a few more dishes of seed and he is eating.

I am guessing it must have been a concussion. Night fright collision with the cage bars. Fingers crossed he continues to improve.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear he’s recuperating!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Zippy has been fine since my last update until today. I am not sure why but he is at the bottom of his cage. I was watching him this morning and he was singing and eating as usual. Now around 3pm he is at the bottom of the cage. He is sitting upright and seems alert and looking around. And he did fly to get a drink but returned to the floor.

I am all paranoid again and worried he is slowing down? Is he showing signs of being elderly? What are the signs of elder life for a zebra finch? I have had him for 3years. I do not know his age since he was adopted.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so worried about my little love.
PXL_20220321_070646277.jpg

Jogging around the block
Finchly will have much more experience, but from my birds I have found generally it can be anywhere from 5. I have two littles going strong 7 years old though, they can definitely live much longer.
I have found they are pretty much the same, they take naps more often but that's about it from my experience.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Screech this morning he was happily beeping and gathering nest material. And right now he is preening.

He seems fully normal again.

Maybe it is just what you said, maybe he is napping more. :huh:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I agree, anywhere after 5 although sometimes they can live to be 10. Just enjoy what you have and try not to worry.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree, anywhere after 5 although sometimes they can live to be 10. Just enjoy what you have and try not to worry.
He was himself all day yesterday. I will assume at times he just gets tired and needs a rest. I hope I have many more years to enjoy his beautiful song.