• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Zephyr's Big Day Out

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Dunno why I didn't think of this before, but decided to put lil Z in her traveling cage with some delicious seeds, mangoes and blackberries, and introduce her to the great outdoors! She finally got to enjoy the yard she's been staring at from her favorite window perch for the past year. It was so cute to see her getting used to it... at first she was just standing stock-still and straight as an arrow - if her eyes could bug, they woulda been bugging :wideyed: - but after a few minutes she was lured by the sweet sweet temptation of mango and then startled to realize this was the best afternoon she's had in a while! She's squawking and chirping, munching and critically surveying the local wildlife. We will definitely make this a regular activity through these warm spring and summer months!

Her flight skills are getting better every day - she recently seemed to reach a milestone of feeling comfortable flying just for the fun of it. She flies around the house, from her cage to her perch, from anywhere to the tops of our heads to steal food... she's gotten strong enough that she can make a full loop of the house without needing to land, and her landing skills have gotten much better, so she feels quite content to perch herself on all manner of unexpected household objects. It is so joyful to see her learning to use her wings and be a real bird. Part of my hope in bringing her outdoors in her cage is to help her get acquainted with what the outside world is like, so if she does escape at some point she won't be completely blinded with panic at the newness of everything. If I ever get her comfortable in an aviator harness, I may acquaint her with our guava tree in the yard in the distant hope that she would fly there to safety if she ever makes a break for it...

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
They do love the outdoors. Good on you for allowing her and encouraging her to fly. That alone should be worth years on her life span and a life worth living.

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Lincee She was bought as a baby from a local parrot store; she was returned at 8 years old to the store since her owners were older folks and could no longer care for her. My partner and I were in the market for a parrot, but wanted an adult with a mild temperament and reasonable noise levels. She seemed like a perfect fit - and she is! We've had her almost two years now.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You sound like the perfect second home for the rest of her life. Remember she's only known love and safety her whole life so she should bond and be happy. Dobby we are his second family and he's quite happy here for a while now and loves everyone he meets. Momazon and her daughter raised him from a youngster and he's the most outgoing, socialized, and into everything Maxi I have ever known.