• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zeny 53" bird cage off Amazon

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone.

I am new here and thinking about getting a same sex pair of either zebra or owl finch and was looking at the Zeny 53" bird cage on Amazon. My question is does anyone use this cage and if so have you had any problems with it so far and how long have you owned it? There is one guy on the reviews that said his bird got lead poisoning from this cage but did not have any kind of proof just a short DO NOT BUY THIS CAGE.. kind of thing.

There have been others that have said there is no issues with lead paint because it is powder coated and it does have good reviews overall. It is the third best selling cage on Amazon and this one guy is the only one that has made this statement so this makes me to think it is okay but wanted to see if any of you use this cage or know anything about the lead paint claim on this cage.

Not sure if we are allowed to link items here so remove it if not but this is the cage in question..
https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Constru...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5PEPCJYQFXFWAYSEQV29

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I suggest @finchly chime in here and suggest a good cage for finches.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
I know exactly the review you’re talking about, as I saw it when I was looking for a cage for my budgies. I decided on another cage because that statement did scare me but I’d be interested in members views on this. Sometimes I do feel people post random things in reviews...but I did not want to bet my birds safety on it.

Congrats on your future babies, would love to see pics when you get them home!

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
Well my thinking is any cage made in China could have issues and I am sure 90% of the mass produced cages are. I did see an article here I think it was that listed the cages made in China and it was all of the major ones A&E, Prevue Hendryx, You & ME and even King's Cages was on the list.. iirc So what can you do? There are stainless steel cages but they are hundreds if not thousands of dollars and the Vision cages have went up so much in price they do not seem worth it anymore either plus I am looking for a cage with a stand anyway.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Bryan! :starshower1:

Good luck on your search for a cage :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Bryan, I do not have experience with that particular one. I don’t believe your finches would get lead poisoning because (a) it’s powder coated and (b) they don’t put their beaks on the bars like other species do. Some of the ooff brand cages don’t last very long, please keep that in mind. OTOH someone gave us one (that looks remarkably like that picture) - it’s a no-name, and it has done greaet.

However, I always recommend if you’re going to get a flight cage, get a minimum of 30” wide. This Prevue cage is 31” wide, name brand and only $20 more. I have 2 of them and 2 of the XL (this is the large)

...and I have their stacking breeder cages , a splurge but I really like them. And some others. :D

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
Hi Bryan, I do not have experience with that particular one. I don’t believe your finches would get lead poisoning because (a) it’s powder coated and (b) they don’t put their beaks on the bars like other species do. Some of the ooff brand cages don’t last very long, please keep that in mind. OTOH someone gave us one (that looks remarkably like that picture) - it’s a no-name, and it has done greaet.

However, I always recommend if you’re going to get a flight cage, get a minimum of 30” wide. This Prevue cage is 31” wide, name brand and only $20 more. I have 2 of them and 2 of the XL (this is the large)

...and I have their stacking breeder cages , a splurge but I really like them. And some others. :D
I do plan on getting a double flight cage later once I move but for now was looking for a smaller cage with a stand. I only have limited space right now and did not want to spend a lot either. I did look at the cage you linked but I did not like that the tray was so close to the floor with it. I also was not worried about the finch so much but I have a male parrotlet and he is out of his cage a lot. I am sure he will be on the finches cage from time to time and is one of the reasons for getting the finch over something else. My parrotlet does not chew on his own cage bars but he does move around with his beak on the bars.

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
Well Zeny sent me a copy of some kind of report on their powder coating. I did not understand it all but where it had lead listed it said it passed so guess it is safe. I had asked them on Amazon messaging about the lead accusation and they sent me this pdf about testing (have attached below if it works and you can see it)

I think the attachment will want you to download the pdf not sure so will also just leave a screenshot of the part where it passed for lead below..

cage paint test.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
I got this cage for my finches, and all the birds are fine. There are usually some flaws though such as my door not being fit right so there are small gaps above and below the door, but it never bothered the finches. Also the bars are flimsy and in some places bent. The tray is also cheap plastic and will break easily. The food cups came dirty which was sus, so i didn’t end up using them. The two top food doors also don’t open all the way because the cage top ends. This might be confusing but i can send pics if you’d like. I ended up moving my finches to their old cage because it had more length than height. Currently I have my parakeets in there and they’re doing well. Would I recommend it? No, you can probably find a better quality cage that isn’t so flawed.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I had several of the 53 inch versions for lovebirds and solitary caiques.

They're not bad but ultimately poor value for money. Mine rusted quickly from regular washing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you wash a cage its wet and will rust unless you dry it completely. Even the wheels will get rusty if not dried.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
If it is a well made, well powder coated cage it should not rust easily. I have power washed and or steamed my cages for 12 years and none of them have rust on them

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So you do not have to dry a cage after washing?