• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra finch rescue tips needed!

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
Hi! I need help!

I'm going to give you a bit of background: my dad always had these weird ideas that he always thought would be fun to do, not considering the consequences. The same was when some friend- a zebra finch breeder- asked if he wanted to get a couple of finches. His answers was yes. He didn't research them at all, he purely didn't care. So, we got a male and a female. I remember them being somewhat tame, they didn't allow people to touch them but I can clearly remember them sitting on someone's head if they didn't move. However, then the male died. My mom got us another male finch. Then, the female passed away (probably old age). There is just the male left, he is 100% wild and does not allow touch. We got him at the pet store.

He always made these typical zebra finch meeps and whistles, but recently he stopped, only responding if he hears a different high pitched sound. He also has some illness: his wings are featherless at the shoulders, his feathers are otherwise healthy. He has these weird white branch-like formations coming out of it...? It kinda looks like his droppings. He does lose them from time to time, I think he doesn't have them at this moment. He also seems to have a bad itch. He pecks and scratches himself all day. I think he caught it from a wild sparrow, since we placed him and his cage outside alot during last year's summer. We tried some medicine on it, nothing worked! He is bored all day, only sitting on his stick. As soon as it gets darker, he hides in a box with his nest to sleep. I don't know how to help! My brother has been neglecting him all the time. I think hes about 4 years old. (I don't know when exactly we got him, he couldve also been at the pet store for a long time) I just feel so sorry for him, my brother doesn't care ever since he got a cat. My brother is also an adult, just in case you wanted to say that he's a ten year old, because he sure does acts like one. My dad also claims that "the bird is having a happy life", because being stuck in a small cage with plain food and your body itching all day sure is fun. I tried to give him fruits and sugarless cookies, but he was always afraid of them. I have some mirror for birds laying around somewhere, I have cockatiels but they don't like it.

I am able to send any photos of him, however, they might be poor quality. Please help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have a vet to take the bird to, to find out what is wrong with him?

@finchly any ideas?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there, it would be nice to see photos because what we imagine and what is there are sometimes not the same.

It sounds like the finch has caught some sort of mite. Without seeing it of course, I'm just guessing. Here is an article about mites, and it links to Types of Mites and how to treat for mites, along with links to some medications that you can usse. In addition, since the bird was outside some there are internal parasites/protozoa that it could have. I would treat for everything using SCATT or S76 -- I prefer SCATT usually --- and also get some Ronex and treat for protozoa. This is kind of an emergency because those things can kill your bird.

The bird's diet is not great right now, I imagine, but the treatment for itchies needs to come first. Then work on the diet. Offer your finch a piece of broccoli (they love it), a tiny bit of corn, spinach, or kale. Ideally they should have these every day. Oh - scrambled or boiled egg is GREAT for them. And if it's eating seed-only, you can try offering a pellet food if you want, still offering seed because finches need seed (no matter what anyone on a forum tells you -- finches need seed). Fruit and cookies are not great for finches, first because they don't really like it and second because it can cause an illness called yeast.

If he is bored, maybe get some raffia from the dollar tree and tie it around in his cage. He'll pluck and pick at it. Or even a dish with newspaper shreds that he can throw around.

Finches are flock animals so he will be lonely/bored without a friend.

I hope this helps a little. Keep asking questions, and we will try to help you.