• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra Finch Leg Band Help

Cait98

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Caitlynn
Hello I am new here and I bought 3 zebra finches yesterday at an animal fair and I just noticed that one of the females has a leg band and I don't know if it will hurt the finch or not so I don't know if I should just leave it on or take it off. Any suggestions?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you post a photo of the leg and the band. Is the band too tight or sitting where it shouldn’t be?

I believe it is best to have a vet remove the bands if you prefer that your bird does not have it on as their legs are so easy to damage and break.
Some people have them removed for extra safety as there have been cases of birds getting the bands caught on things and also cases of the band being too tight.

I personally am not familiar with the usual process for such small birds having leg bands removed as I’ve only really looked into having a band removed from my Macaws leg which needs to be cut off as it is a closed ring.

Maybe @finchly knows more about the smaller birds bands and recommendations regarding them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I assume you mean a permanent band, not a split band or EZ ring?

I’d leave it alone— even a vet can break those tiny legs. I’ve never had a band issue and I’ve raised hundreds of finches.