• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra Finch Housing

Brando517

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon smith
I am new to Zebra Finches, I got a male and female from a friend with the intent to bring life to the house. Indeed it did. They are in a 42 inch wide, 22 inch deep and 37 inch tall cage. They quickly bonded and it’s been about 3 and half weeks. The male built a nest but they rarely sleep in it at night, both in and out during day. No clue why? Yesterday, I got another male and female. I have them in a separate cage but wanted to house them all together. I am waiting 30-45 days for a quarantine. Both pairs are bonded now. Would it be safe to house two pairs in that cage? I put them next to each other and the one male in the big cage seems interested in getting to the other pair, the other pair doesn’t care at all. I have a nest in each cage and when I put them together I would bring two nest in the big cage. Please help me, the stores around me are no help!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the Avenue!

I have two zebra finches. Keep in mind that it isn't ideal to house two pairs together. The general guideline is to have 2 or 6+

If you have 2 they can be buddies, if you have 4 -the two pairs can and likely will fight often. 5 and there will be a 3rd wheel, a bird who is left out or overly picked on. More than 6 and usually there is enough going on within the group that the birds will fight less. (Less of the they vs us sorta mentality if that helps make sense.)

Your cage is a good size for two birds. I personally may get a larger flight cage or an aviary to keep 6+. In terms of sleeping in the nest, what you explain is normal for most birds. It is uncommon for birds to sleep in nests in the way that humans sleep in a bed. Nests are specifically for chick rearing. Like you explain from observing your own birds they will build the nest during the day, hop in it, size it up, check their work, many times jettison the whole project to start again, etc. However they generally won't stay in the nest overnight unless they are incubating eggs.

Personally I caution breeding your finches so soon after getting them, and encourage you to remove nests. Zebra finches can reproduce rapidly in captivity and unless you are fully prepared I suggest waiting. You can easily end up with 40 birds in a year, which means a larger care budget and lots of additional cages.

I hope some this info is helpful :)

Last edited:

Brando517

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon smith
Welcome to the Avenue!

I have two zebra finches. Keep in mind that it isn't ideal to house two pairs together. The general guideline is to have 2 or 6+

If you have 2 they can be buddies, if you have 4 -the two pairs can and likely will fight often. 5 and there will be a 3rd wheel, a bird who is left out or overly picked on. More than 6 and usually there is enough going on within the group that the birds will fight less. (Less of the they vs us sorta mentality if that helps make sense.)

Your cage is a good size for two birds. I personally may get a larger flight cage or an aviary to keep 6+. In terms of sleeping in the nest, what you explain is normal for most birds. It is uncommon for birds to sleep in nests in the way that humans sleep in a bed. Nests are specifically for chick rearing. Like you explain from observing your own birds they will build the nest during the day, hop in it, size it up, check their work, many times jettison the whole project to start again, etc. However they generally won't stay in the nest overnight unless they are incubating eggs.

Personally I caution breeding your finches so soon after getting them, and encourage you to remove nests. Zebra finches can reproduce rapidly in captivity and unless you are fully prepared I suggest waiting. You can easily end up with 40 birds in a year, which means a larger care budget and lots of additional cages.

I hope some this info is helpful :)
thank you so much! This information was very helpful. I would be too worried to have 6 birds in that size cage. Maybe I could give the pair to someone.