• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra Finch Cage

Brando517

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon smith
I have a pair of zebra finches they are in a 42 inch wide, 22 inch deep and 37 inch tall cage. My local pet store is saying I could put 8 finches in there (4 pairs). I want to make sure that is appropriate and he is not just trying to get me to buy more. How many finches could that cage house with the finches still being happy? I would like to house 2 pairs in that cage together but have been made aware that it may not work out. Is there any tricks to help? I have them next to each other so they can "get used" to one another. I appreciate your time!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
In my personal view two is a good number for that size cage. I am not sure why your pet shop believes you can keep so many in such a small space. I think sometimes people don't value these little finches as they should. 8 birds in a cage of that size leaves little room for squabbles to resolve naturally. It will also be a lot of work to keep it efficiently clean. That is a lot is finch waste in a small area, a lot of flicked seeds.

If you want a larger flock I would build an aviary. Or find a larger flight. If you own your house and have the space/resources there are ways to convert a bedroom into an aviary.

Brando517

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon smith
In my personal view two is a good number for that size cage. I am not sure why your pet shop believes you can keep so many in such a small space. I think sometimes people don't value these little finches as they should. 8 birds in a cage of that size leaves little room for squabbles to resolve naturally. It will also be a lot of work to keep it efficiently clean. That is a lot is finch waste in a small area, a lot of flicked seeds.

If you want a larger flock I would build an aviary. Or find a larger flight. If you own your house and have the space/resources there are ways to convert a bedroom into an aviary.
thanks! I want to buy a bigger aviary but can’t seem to find one for a reasonable price. I found an awesome one for a good price but it is over 100 miles away and would require a truck rental. The search continues!

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
thanks! I want to buy a bigger aviary but can’t seem to find one for a reasonable price. I found an awesome one for a good price but it is over 100 miles away and would require a truck rental. The search continues!
Equipment, set up, resources etc first then birds later.

I saw another thread from just this morning that your setup was recommended suitable for only two birds. I really hope you heed the advice given here.

Brando517

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon smith

What about two females in the cage with one male? I read online that it would be fine and others saying the females would kill each other? Right now I am going to invest in a flight cage in case I want to add more birds into my flock.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
You were advised in the other thread odd numbers not ideal as there will be a third wheel and likely to get picked on, left out, and lonely.

I've linked it below if you need to re-read the advice that was given.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
I keep 9 Zebra Finches and 2 Canarys myself.

I'd advise putting 4 inside. 2 male/female pairs. No nests or nesting materials to prevent egg laying.

Definitely don't listen to the pet store, 8 is too many.,

Brando517

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon smith
I keep 9 Zebra Finches and 2 Canarys myself.

I'd advise putting 4 inside. 2 male/female pairs. No nests or nesting materials to prevent egg laying.

Definitely don't listen to the pet store, 8 is too many.,
Thanks! I tried to put the 2 male/female pairs together in the larger cage and the dominate but smaller male would not have it. He chased the other male all around. All nest were taken out, still would not get along.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks! I tried to put the 2 male/female pairs together in the larger cage and the dominate but smaller male would not have it. He chased the other male all around. All nest were taken out, still would not get along.
If you had more space your could put 6+ finches together and there would be less conflict. It is normal for smaller groups to fight.

Do you have the space to build an aviary?

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I do have the space definitely, I will invest in building an aviary. Perhaps one that is 6ft long x 4.5ft wide x 4.5 tall.
Very cool! That should give you the room to put your 4 together with a few more. I would still keep your flock on the smaller side, don't go overboard :) but that will be a great size aviary. When getting more finches just remember, each little bird is another mouth to feed and another possible vet bill. I never have more birds than I could afford to take all to the vet, you never know when something pops up.

Let us know how your designing and building goes. There are some areas on this forum with advice on aviary construction.

Brando517

Moving in
Real Name
Brandon smith
Very cool! That should give you the room to put your 4 together with a few more. I would still keep your flock on the smaller side, don't go overboard :) but that will be a great size aviary. When getting more finches just remember, each little bird is another mouth to feed and another possible vet bill. I never have more birds than I could afford to take all to the vet, you never know when something pops up.

Let us know how your designing and building goes. There are some areas on this forum with advice on aviary construction.
Definitely! I have taken that all into account, feeding and vet bills are all considered! Thank you for your help!