• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra cage

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
Would a pair of zebras do well in a cage that is 26" L X 15" W X 20" H?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
You need to look at bar spacing as well

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
How many zebra finches the bigger the cage the better they need to be able to fly good

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes they’d be okay in that cage. But they’d be better in a 30x18x18. Let me explain.

There’s not any need for the extra height, but by adding extra length they can fly better . If you put perches on each end, they’d fly back and forth. Flying is what keeps them healthy.

Also what I’ve found over the years is that many cages under 30” are flimsy. I’ve even had a zebra get his head stuck between the (correct size) bars!

We’d love to see pictures, if you haven’t already posted them.

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
Yes they’d be okay in that cage. But they’d be better in a 30x18x18. Let me explain.

There’s not any need for the extra height, but by adding extra length they can fly better . If you put perches on each end, they’d fly back and forth. Flying is what keeps them healthy.

Also what I’ve found over the years is that many cages under 30” are flimsy. I’ve even had a zebra get his head stuck between the (correct size) bars!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol

If I put a perch on each side of the atrium bird cage would they get enough exercise to remain healthy?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Nice! Like I said they’re fine in that size. Yes I’d definitely switch the perches to the ends.

Let me warn you if you’re getting a male & female pair, they’ll soon mate and you’ll have 5-9 birds, in that case your cage will be too small.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Zara thsnk you, that’s the exact cage I like. They resist rust and are sturdy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara thsnk you, that’s the exact cage I like. They resist rust and are sturdy.
I have a black one but my doors are spring shut not quillotine. It is a great size, I can see the appeal for a pair of finches :)

:)
Good choices. I can’t wait to see them.
Same, Finches are adorable!! :cloud9:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yay! Thanks for the cage size help team :)

@Puddles02
You can also enrich their environment by giving them things to collect and gather. My zebras, like ripping up plants, collecting leaves, or even a dish of birch chips. Carrying that stuff around is a little extra exercise :) not to mention they have to work on collecting it. I also place some perches on steep angles nearly vertical, sorta like what you see on trees. Use natural branches :) They hop around on them and the angle is work for their ankles. Keeps their little legs strong. Not all their perches, but a few. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
Yay! Thanks for the cage size help team :)

@Puddles02
You can also enrich their environment by giving them things to collect and gather. My zebras, like ripping up plants, collecting leaves, or even a dish of birch chips. Carrying that stuff around is a little extra exercise :) not to mention they have to work on collecting it. I also place some perches on steep angles nearly vertical, sorta like what you see on trees. Use natural branches :) They hop around on them and the angle is work for their ankles. Keeps their little legs strong. Not all their perches, but a few. Hope it gives you some ideas.
I hadn't bought the atrium cage yet so I will probably attempt to buy the one on Amazon to make my future babies happy