• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zazzle hatching eggs

Zazzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jill Hanson
Zazzle, my parrotlet has been sitting on 6 eggs. Today the first one hatched! So exciting! I need to know if I can supplement the babies feedings without taking them from the parents? This is their first successful hatch and I am worried they won't get enough to eat.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi Jill,

You should monitor them closely and make sure they are being fed. Just be careful not to disturb the parents too much. Parrotlets are generally good parents. I have never tried what you suggest so someone else may be able to answer you. I either leave them with the parents or feed them myself if the parents do not feed them.

Good luck!

Zazzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jill Hanson
Thank you, Laurie. I don't really know what is meant by "too much" when it comes to disturbing the parents. I've been checking just daily since Zazzle started sitting, when Zinger is out of the box. She is not happy when I look in.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thank you, Laurie. I don't really know what is meant by "too much" when it comes to disturbing the parents. I've been checking just daily since Zazzle started sitting, when Zinger is out of the box. She is not happy when I look in.
I think it is relative, birds who don't mind you peeking may put up with more checking. Once a day is good for eggs. If she is not happy when you peek in I would try and see if you hear babies. If you want to see if they are being fed you would really need to have her out of the box and look to see if the babies have food in their crops. If you can not get in the check several times a day then I do not think that supplmental feeding would work well. In order to do that you would really need birds who will either leave the box or do not mind you checking and removing and replacing babies. If the parents will not put up with that interferance then you need to leave the babies in there or take them to hand feed. If you pull them to handfeed you will also need to keep them warm as well.

Often, the mom will leave the box first thing in the morning to eat. That is a good time to check.

Zazzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jill Hanson
I appreciate your advice, so much, Laurie.

Zazzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jill Hanson
I have a brooder set up and formula, syringes ready but prefer to let them feed them until they get bigger. I checked this morning and all appears to be well so far. I want to clean the cage but don't want to take any chances with possible abandonment.

Zazzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jill Hanson
2 babies now, 4 unhatched eggs. Mom never leaves the nest. Babies are active when I lifted Zazzle to see. Zinger seems to be feeding everyone.

Zazzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jill Hanson
4 babies hatched now and still mama Zazzle never comes out of the nest. But things look good.