• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zazu's Story

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Zazu is a Congo African Grey who came to be our forever companion at only 4 weeks of age. He has severe deformity to both legs and the breeder who introduced us the world of being bird owned asked if we would be interested in raising this precious baby. We had previously adopted a Blue Crown Conure with one bad leg from them and he has become one of the most special creatures we have had the pleasure of living with.

Even though we were somewhat experienced with a handicapped bird, we were told that "He is really bad". We saw pictures but until you see it in person we didn't realize what "bad" really meant. We made the 5hr drive to see this baby and immediately knew he was for us. On the 5hr drive home, my wife held him the whole trip and we stopped twice to feed him in the car.

We had already prepared the "nursery" for him with a heating pad, cleanfresh bedding and a plastic container with a grate on the top to hold in the heat. He settled right in and we began the rounds of 4hr feedings. He was a very good eater and feedings took less than 15 minutes including the mixing.

Over the next few days after bringing him home, we agonized on what to do for him. Do we go to a vet or just let nature take it's course. We decided to try a well known avian and exotics vet in our area, unfortunately there are no avian only vets in this area. A 20 minute visit with this vet and his suggestion was to put him down. We were both shocked and at least asked if he thought the baby was in pain. He said no, that he doesn't appear to be in pain. So we paid our bill and left.

My wife immediately broke into tears at the office when he said this. Me being a male took a little while but broke down before we made it home. We looked at each other and decided right then that we would not take the easy way out. We proceeded to contact the only other avian vet in this area but they required sedation. We initially made the appointment but later cancelled for fear that the baby would not make it being sedated. It was at that point we decided that we would not intervene medically and will allow God and nature to decide the outcome.

Over the past 5 weeks since we have had the pleasure of raising Zazu, he has grown a lot in size and is filling in nicely with feathers. We have been working with his feet and legs but amazingly, he has moved his legs in ways that we didn't want to for fear of hurting him. He is always very alert and attentive and just loves interacting with us. Our other conures who are housed in the same room have stopped by to say "hey" and he isn't intimidated one bit. He allows us to manipulate his legs and feet and loves to have them rubbed.

He is bringing us more joy than we could have ever imagined. His personality grows with each day and has lately inspired me when I feel a little down. This is just the beginning of this wonderful journey and we are looking forward to growing up together. Here are a few pictures we have taken so far:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh,he is just amazing. Thank you so much for opening your hearts to him.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thank you for sharing Zazu with us. He is so very special. I hope he thrives with you and your wife's TLC:hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
awww!! He's so adorable! I'm so glad you and your wife took him in! can't wait to hear more about him!:hug8:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Bless you! :heart: Looks like Zazu could not have found a more perfect forever home! :hug8:

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are very special parronts, Zazu is adorable :heart: and is in great hands with you both.

Believe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rachel
What a precious little boy!:heart:

Dont think me mean for joking about his condition, but his long legs remind me of a velocorapter. Especially in picture 2. He just looks like a cute cuddly little dinosaur!:heart::p

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Precious baby! may he thrive under your tender loving care - bless you for letting him be part of your family.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Please keep us updated on his progress - I'm sure he'll grow into a happy healthy bundle of feathers who doesn't even realize he's different.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
What a wonderful baby and what a wonderful story. :heart:

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Glad to hear he is doing well, do you have any recent pictures, we like to see how he is progessing since a lot of have been following his story.

Birdy_in_VT

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Hi,

He is developing the most awesome personality although he is also showing some beginnings of getting frustrated.

Here are some quick pictures. I'll hopefully have more soon:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8:

TheBeesKnees

Real Name
Lindsey Champine
I've said it before and I'll say it again....CUTENESS OVERLOAD! ..... he's absolutely stunning and you are wonderful people to open your heart to him. I'll be praying for all of you and pulling for little Zazu!:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
What a blessing you two are and your little baby Zazu. He looks like an Angel. My heart melts when I see his pictures.:heart:

FidFlock

Real Name
Nikki
Oh my gosh! He is just the most precious CAG I have seen! I hope he does well, and thanks for the story! :heart:

ZAZU

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ANITA
Hi there,
I adopted a african grey a month ago, I also called him Zazu and he also has the same problem as your little baby, Could I please get in contact with you regarding this. I am from South Africa, and the Vets here cannot really help me, he is 11 weeks thi
s week, and as you said in your blog above, he is now getting very frustrated with his situation. My partner and I also decided that he is such a loving little one and we just refuse to take the easy way out. I would love to chat to you in regards with this.
Anita