• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zazu's Story

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Good luck with your Zazu, Anita. I hope you are Abe to get in touch with the OP, and that he grows up happy, healthy and not knowing he any different. :heart:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I love Zazu! I've been following his progress thread but hadn't seen this original one. What an adorable baby! :heart:

ZAZU

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ANITA
Good morning,

Thank you so much for your replies. Had a wonderfull time this morning with him, so bubly and talkative.
Just feel sooo sorry for him , he is so frustrated when he wants to move, really wish I know what to do. If anyone has suggestions in this departement please let me know.

ZAZU

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ANITA
Hi Katy, see you are online. Is that all your beautifull babies?
:heart:

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Hi Anita! I didn't see your replies until today.

Bless you for taking this baby! I'm not sure if you've seen pictures of our Zazu's cage, but it's 1/2 the height what it normally should be, we covered the grate with a corrugated plastic sign board and cover that with a couple layers of high quality pill less fleece. He eventually learned to climb up the side on his own and hangs from the top grate with one leg. At times he falls but the distance and fleece prevent him from getting hurt.

The only downfall to this is the fleece needs to be changed daily and he does get poop on him so we pick up what we see while we are home and give him baths and showers regularly. He absolutely loves the shower.

In the beginning, we agonized about how to help him, but in the end, he figured things out all on his own. We found that too much change in the effort of helping was actually causing more distress than good. Remove the hazards but we found he wasn't really interested in a lot of things we tried.

I'll try and take some pictures of his cage today and post them up.

He will enrich your lives beyond belief. I cuddle with him almost every night.

Good Luck!

Birdy_in_VT

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Here are some shots of his cage

This is another special needs FID. The reason for the lack of toys....she had an AWFUL fly in with a ceiling fan and broke her good leg. So we've removed the majority of her toys while she is on the mend. Thankful she is still with us!

Birdy_in_VT

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
I forgot to mention, you can see a fleece hung from the top? Zazu and a few of our other babies love to snuggle with those.

If you'd like to see the variety of sizes my wife made, let me know.

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Very functional set-up you have there for her, Kurt. Is Zazu still able to fly, after her fly in with the ceiling fan? I'm sure glad she's still with you, and if her wings are intact, then thankfully, she still has some freedom and mobility. She'll just have to adapt to how to land with non-functional legs. Is her good leg going to heal completely? She sounds like a pretty determined little angel.

Birdy_in_VT

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Very functional set-up you have there for her, Kurt. Is Zazu still able to fly, after her fly in with the ceiling fan? I'm sure glad she's still with you, and if her wings are intact, then thankfully, she still has some freedom and mobility. She'll just have to adapt to how to land with non-functional legs. Is her good leg going to heal completely? She sounds like a pretty determined little angel.
It's the little sun who had the incident with the fan (2nd set of pictures). Zazu hasn't flown ever although he flaps his wings like crazy at times. Without any functional legs, we are really blessed that he can't or hasn't fledged. Based on the way he swings, talks and sings, he appears to be happy as he is. And so are we.

Birdy_in_VT

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Here is one more of how he's managed on his own. He started out by just hanging on the side, then one day we found him like this. He uses his head/neck to swing like Tarzan.