• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zane's new collar

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks I hope he'll leave It alone and I won't it at the bottom of his cage tomorrow. I added so extra tape so maybe... It's so frustrating :( The plastic ones are starting cause calluses and bruising on his chest. They didn't always but I think maybe with aging his skin is getting thinner or something. @iamwhoiam and @Hankmacaw Thanks for your support!! Days like this I need it. :hug2:

On the bright side of things I can't remember the last time he's fallen at night! I think its been a couple months :) Before he was falling at least a couple of times a night. I'm not sure if his meds or if he finally had his sleeping perch the way he likes it. But I'm really glad at least one problem has gotten alot better

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have seen some industrial strength velcro. Maybe that would work or maybe you could put buttons on it with the buttons facing down.
I did add some industrial strength velcro to his last collar, sadly it didn't work. :( if I could figure out a way to to attract buttons or something else to secure it and also somewhere he cant get to them that might work. But than the next problem is finding someone to make it for me....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You would definitely have to place those buttons out of the reach of his beak. It's great that he isn't falling.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck finding a solution for Zane.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well collar number 2 didn't work :sad9: Even if I could secure it so he couldn't open I still don't think that will help much. :bash: He's willing to chew thru anything, he did pretty good job of chewing up the leather... which kind of surprised me. The leather was really soft and thin thou.
Anyway he's back in plastic... He's a stubborn old guy I'll give him that :confused: Its so discouraging at times...

On the positive side of things he still will let me put plastic one on him with no problem. He is a really good boy that way. I'm gonna look into getting some kind of padding to put on the bottom part of his collars. Maybe that will help keep him more comfortable :fingerscrossed:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Do "sock" sweaters work?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He use to be in sock sweaters all the time. They helped but didn't stop him. He ended damaging his wing to point he could no longer fully extant it. Luckily I found a vet who was able to help him and his wing is almost back to normal.

I order some craft foam online. So I'll try putting some on the bottom of his collar and see if that helps

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If you have a shoe repair place in your town I would take some samples of your collars and see if they could be a local source for making the collars or maybe they could help design some kind of vest. Gosh.. what a challenge you have on your hands. You deserve a medal!!!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm gonna to talk to my mom about it. I think she might a know person who's know a person who works with leather. After that I'm kind of out of ideas. If I could just stop the plastic ones from causing callouses I would be really happy.

Despite of all his problems Zane still a really happy guy :) And that's what keeps me going and trying to make him as comfortable as I can

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Could you get a plastic collar a slightly larger and have a fleece one specially made to surround the plastic? So fleece is both on top of and lining the plastic collar. That way he could have the fleece to chew and the plastic to protect but the plastic wouldn't be next to him. A double layer of fleece could be lining the neck piece.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It gets complicated. He'd probably chew up the fleece too quickly :( And I can't afford to replace it weekly which I'd probably have to.

Right now I made his collars using plastic plates and he wears three of them at a time. It's hard because I have to find plates I can cut but that means he chew through them too. Which is why he wear three at time now. He still can get out of the collars now it just last longer and they fairly cheap to make.

I've thought getting a 3D printed one. But coming up with a material that's flexible enough to put on him yet strong enough to withstand his beak is a problem.

I was so hoping the fleece or leather one would work. Sadly its plastic for now. :(