• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yum yum, sprouted seed

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I finally got brave and tried sprouting some seeds. Yesterday I put some in the linnie cage and the p'let cage. The p'let dove right in (and flung them EVERYwhere in her exuberance), but the linnies wouldn't even acknowledge them. But apparently Monday is a better day for introductions because after a couple hours I saw JellyBean go over and dive in. Of course Sprite couldn't be out done so he quickly followed suit. And they're still going at them! JellyBean is making these funny little growling sounds off and on, hopefully that means he likes them.

Do I just store the extras (not much in this case) open-air in the fridge until tomorrow?

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
That's great! Wow, I wish my Meyers took to new foods that fast...the stinker. I leave mine on the counter and rinse them once when I get up and once before bed. If you don't want them to sprout further, then throw them in the fridge in a zipper bag or container.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I usually keep them in a baggie in the refrigerator.

NorthernGannet

That's great! Wow, I wish my Meyers took to new foods that fast...the stinker. I leave mine on the counter and rinse them once when I get up and once before bed. If you don't want them to sprout further, then throw them in the fridge in a zipper bag or container.
In all honesty this it the first thing I've offered in the treat cup that they've even tried! Aside from hand feeding peaches and melon to one Linnie, they've refused anything fresh. The p'let is the same way. So it was definitely something about the sprouts that caught all of their attention.

I wasn't sure if putting the leftovers in a bag would cause them to go bad, so thank you and Leih for the answer!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
In all honesty this it the first thing I've offered in the treat cup that they've even tried! Aside from hand feeding peaches and melon to one Linnie, they've refused anything fresh. The p'let is the same way. So it was definitely something about the sprouts that caught all of their attention.

I wasn't sure if putting the leftovers in a bag would cause them to go bad, so thank you and Leih for the answer!
Usually they can last a few days, you'll know when they're past their prime. Mainly you just want them to be mostly dry before bagging as otherwise they get water logged and yucky.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually make 3-5 days worth. I pull what I need for a meal w/ a clean spoon & rinse w/ white vinegar & water each morning & night.

I leave them growing on the counter. After 5-7 days (depending on seed type) their nutritional values have depleted so greatly there is not much nutrition left in the sprout as its gone into creating the plant. I'm really glad that you're giving your fids this great food! :highfive:

I add 3 seeds to the top of my sprouts, ground hemp hearts, ground flax seed & chia seeds. They're supposed to add great heart smart things like the Omega vitamins for your birds wellness.

I also add flavoring, a little herbal benefit. Some basil, or oregano or both. I call them spaghetti sprouts & Buddy loves them. I also do dill (high in calcium). Lastly Organic Camomile tea which keeps Buddy's nippy Zon moments in check. I usually rotate the herbals from day to day so that every meal has a bit of a different flavor.

I tried the fridge but Buddy didn't see to like them, too cold maybe. I start feeding immediately after a 12 hour soak. All the nutritional benefit is there in that done nothing in appearance seedling.

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthernGannet

I usually make 3-5 days worth. I pull what I need for a meal w/ a clean spoon & rinse w/ white vinegar & water each morning & night.

I leave them growing on the counter. After 5-7 days (depending on seed type) their nutritional values have depleted so greatly there is not much nutrition left in the sprout as its gone into creating the plant. I'm really glad that you're giving your fids this great food! :highfive:

I add 3 seeds to the top of my sprouts, ground hemp hearts, ground flax seed & chia seeds. They're supposed to add great heart smart things like the Omega vitamins for your birds wellness.

I also add flavoring, a little herbal benefit. Some basil, or oregano or both. I call them spaghetti sprouts & Buddy loves them. I also do dill (high in calcium). Lastly Organic Camomile tea which keeps Buddy's nippy Zon moments in check. I usually rotate the herbals from day to day so that every meal has a bit of a different flavor.

I tried the fridge but Buddy didn't see to like them, too cold maybe. I start feeding immediately after a 12 hour soak. All the nutritional benefit is there in that done nothing in appearance seedling.
Awesome, thanks!