• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yuki still isn't himself..

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
We've had Yuki for one full month now, Yuki is a two year old male budgie. Stormy is my other budgie that I have had for 2½ years. We got Yuki because Stormy's best friend, Sunny passed away :(. I take them out and give them exercise everyday, I have holidays now so I have extra time for them! Yuki can't fly yet (his wings were clipped), Stormy is fully flighted.My problem is, that everytime I take them out they just sit on my washing basket (their favourite perch), when Stormy was with Sunny they would run around fly, sit on me and explore my room like any other bird. I miss that a lot.. Stormy has always been a big follower, according to Yuki's previous owner he was too... Now they are both kind of lost.

I can see how frustrated and full of energy Stormy is, because if Yuki doesn't fly Stormy won't either. Taming on the other hand is still a work in progress, Stormy is very tame but since Yuki isn't that tame. Stormy's taming kind of goes out of the window. Also, when they are in their cage they just sit still in a corner. This time last week I made a post asking about help, I've been playing music for them as advised. Which has made Yuki chirp a little more but its still quiet.

They have toys, banksias, bottlebrushes, radio and me talking to them every time I or my family walks past. They are out right now, Stormy is flying on the spot and is squawking because she's so frustratingly full of beans! I also take them outside, we have rainbow lorikeets and other native birds that have nests around us. So basically, none of them really get any exercise because they just sit on my washing basket the whole time, they are quiet in their cage and they are both followers or their old partners (now they are lost).
I'm trying, I haven't given up hope. I know birds take time, Sunny took nearly a year of persistent training and boy is it worth it!!
P.s Taming Yuki is still a work in progress :)

I think Stormy is still grieving, I am too. Sunny was such a beautiful sweet, sweet budgie. I miss her everyday.

I'm a little confused as of what problem to tackle first and if this is totally normal or if it'll work out over time. I've only owned birds for 4 nearly 5 years (a fairly new parront)!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I find it takes about 6 months for birds to work out new flock dynamics. Just continue to provide incentives to move around (perches around the room, as an example) and they'll figure it out I think :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yuki can't fly yet. Stormy is torn between having a jolly good fly around and sitting with his buddy Yuki. Their moods and their energy levels will obviously be low. The only cure will be when Yuki moults into his new flights - we can only guess when that will be. Do you have any toys you can hang on the sides of the laundry basket or scatter on the floor for them? If you can get them playing their moods will naturally lift.