• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yuka and Mimi's evening.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
So today I swapped in a new foraging toy and some toys for Yuka. She instantly was all for it, so I took some pictures.
She was so excited to see a blackberry in there, it was adorable. :p image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
While I had the camera out, I though I'd be quick enough to take a few pictures of Mimi and her new toys.:cautious:
Alas, I only got one in before I was caught. She was not amused. (Hint: She hates being photographed. :confused:)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
"Hello mamaz, how ar-
image.jpeg "What, iz dis a camera?!"
image.jpeg "Get da bitez camera!" *cue angry mini-raptor noise*

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
That are so cute! They look like they are enjoying their new toys, they are lucky birds. :) I was set up to get a green cheek, but backed out last minute because I had read some bad things about green cheeks and cockatiels interacting with each other. I like to have everyone out together and I read the green cheeks can be very aggressive to the cockatiels. Not sure how true it is.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Thank you. :)
Cheekies overall shouldn't be left alone with cockatiels, as they can inflict serious injuries to them.
I wouldn't say they are more aggressive, but Yuka is more bossy then my other two. So I have to keep a sharp eye on them when they are out together.
But each of them, including my lovebird Kumo gets individual out time as well as "group out-time".
Any birds, especially different species, need to be monitored closely.
Your budgies and 'Tiels are very cute. :xflove:

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Your other two? Haha. How many birds do you have? I had also debated getting a love bird. I guess I know who I can go to for advice if I ever get a green cheek or love bird!
Your house must get quite loud! Hahah.
Thank you! :) they are my babies.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
:hehe:, I have 3 birds.
Mimi, Kumo and Yuka. :heart:
I know just what you mean, my fids are my babies too.
Sometimes quite loud, yup. :D Mimi flock calls when I leave the room, and Yuka and Kumo follow.
Yuka can also produce quite the scream for a GCC, so it's never uneventful here. :laugh:
If you ever need advice on them, I'd be happy to give some. But I just brought Kumo home just over a month ago, so I wouldn't be able to provide too much experience with Lovies.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Well atleast its when you arent in rhe room! :) I thought about getting a love bird, but was told they are very loud. I like cuddly birds, but also quiet birds as they are kept in my bedroom so earpiering screams aren't very nice, haha!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Well atleast its when you arent in rhe room! :) I thought about getting a love bird, but was told they are very loud. I like cuddly birds, but also quiet birds as they are kept in my bedroom so earpiering screams aren't very nice, haha!
They really aren't too loud. A bit higher pitched, but they tend to chatter rather then scream.
It's pretty tolerable really, at least to me. :)

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Awh! I love cuddly cockatiels. I can tell she's really friendly by your pictures. Her coming right up to you when she sees you. Nala let's me pet her head but not her back or anything. I used to have one that I could pet her whole back. That's why I'm breeding, to try to get the babies to be as tame as possible. Does Mimi let you pet her back? Oh, I also wanna teach Nala to fly to me when I call her!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Mimi has a pretty good recall, but I think it's mainly on the fact that she flys to me if I'm even just halfway across the room.( As I said, velcro bird :hehe:. ) I just started rewarding the behavior, and gave a vocal cue. (I use "come here.")
I would advise you not to pet down a birds back, as that can make them hormonal and they'll start to think of you as their mate; which you would want to avoid. ;) Stick with the head and face.
Mimi loves face/head pets but she gets anxious if you reach over her. So I started offering my hand sorta cupped in front of her face and she'll nuzzle her head into my palm and let me give her scritches from there. It's pretty adorable. :heart:

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Ugh, Nala flies to me and lands on my head and her little nails stab into me. Ive been trying to get her to land on the shoulder instead. I will try using a command now :)
Sometimes when I won't pet her she starts making angry chirps and nibbles my hand... not sure if that is good or not, haha!
Has she always let you pet her, or did you teach her to allow you to? I got Nala at 9 months so she already allowed people to. I just want to know for future reference with the babies. I'm allowing them to be parent raised but will take them out to play once they start opening their eyes. I was thinking it would also help them know what being pet was.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Enjoying pets sometimes is an individual thing to some birds. Some love it, others couldn't care less.
If you handle them often the future babies should be more comfortable with accepting handling; including pets. So that's what I'd recommend. :)

I got Mimi from a not-so-great "breeder" at less then 2 months. (I believe the person had rushed her to ween, as 8 weeks is very young to be completely weened.) so that may play into why she's so bonded with me and enjoys pets.
Nala sounds like such a sassy little thing! Adorable. :xflove:
Mimi can also be a bit of a sass-bum too, it's so cute. :heart:

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Awh! Good thing you got her. They are quite sassy birds :) do you have a favorite specie? Over the different birds you have?
I'm so tired of the bad breeders.
When I got my pair home (purchased off of Craigalist) I noticed the females beak was all cracked and breaking from lack of calcium. Their nails hadn't ever seen a pruning perch. And they had no idea what a cuttlebone or even millet was! When she laid her first egg, it didn't even have a shell. They over bred her and didn't care for her.
Another actual registered breeder with the state tried selling me a breeding pair that was a brother and sister! She was missing feathers and their cage was disgusting. The toys covered in droppings. They also tried to sell me a 3 month old who wasn't weaned yet. They acted like it was completely normal! Ugh. Sorry for my rant.. hahah.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Awh! Good thing you got her. They are quite sassy birds :) do you have a favorite specie? Over the different birds you have?
I'm so tired of the bad breeders.
When I got my pair home (purchased off of Craigalist) I noticed the females beak was all cracked and breaking from lack of calcium. Their nails hadn't ever seen a pruning perch. And they had no idea what a cuttlebone or even millet was! When she laid her first egg, it didn't even have a shell. They over bred her and didn't care for her.
Another actual registered breeder with the state tried selling me a breeding pair that was a brother and sister! She was missing feathers and their cage was disgusting. The toys covered in droppings. They also tried to sell me a 3 month old who wasn't weaned yet. They acted like it was completely normal! Ugh. Sorry for my rant.. hahah.
No need to be sorry, ranting is sometimes needed with these types of situations.
I completely agree with some breeders being horrible, and it sounds like you sadly got your fair share of that with yours. :(
When I went to pick up Mimi, the lady had small breeder cages stacked to the ceiling in this garage. The grates and trays looked like they hadn't seen a cleaning in a long time. It was horrible to see. And since Mimi was the only one weaned of her clutch, I went exclusively for her. Her siblings were still begging for food huddled together and there was this little Mimi of to the side, just sitting there staring at me. I like to say she picked me, because it's the truth. :heart:
It's hard to choose a favorite, but cockatiels are for sure up there. I love Yuka, and Kumo is a sweet little thing; but there's something about the 'tiels. :)

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Wow! That is so sad! Good thing you adopted her!
So, I was petting Nala and she started making soft chirps and getting in mating position. Weird how we were just talking about this. I was only rubbing her neck. It's this breeder male I brought home. He's making all my cockatiels hormonal.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Update: Yuka has learned how to undo the foraging toy. She is way too smart for me. :D
It's actually quite funny since she did it at breakfast time. Can imagine she was thinking "Momz, bring the foodz now!"
:hilarious: