• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your feeding routine?

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
My routine with Buddy and Tweetie (budgies):

1. Take wheat grass from fridge to come to room temp (around 8am).
2. Remove seed/pellet cups from previous day, put in fresh water.
3. Put chop/sprouts mix in feed dish and put in cage.
4. Put room temp grass in cage - sometimes its an herb instead.
5. Wait until noon and give them back their seed/pellet cups (pellet is mixed with the seeds).

Sometimes Tweetie wants his seed/pellet sooner. He'll perch on the ring that holds the seed cup. If I don't come, he'll cling to the bars on the front of the cage until I notice. My guys aren't spoiled! I usually use the morning to clean, cook, etc - anything that I don't want them to be out their cage while I'm doing it. At around 1pm I open the cage and call out to them "ally ally outs in free" and stand back while Tweetie barrels out the cage. They stay out until 6-7pm - 6pm if I need to outside for gardening.

Yes, I have a very exciting dramatic life!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm debating taking the seed out overnight, just leaving pellets. They eat them but I'm not too satisfied with the amount they eat.

But I also fear I'll be greeted to an unholy racket at 5am... :angry101:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I was wondering what kind of "routines" people had for feeding their birds? Tiel-sized birds in particular!

I ask because while Jeff and Mabel do eat pellets, I am worried that because I mix them with their seed mix, they are prioritising their favourite seeds and leaving the pellets. Today I decided to perhaps do the following:
  1. Morning: pellets only
  2. After a few hours: mix in some seed
  3. Afternoon: veggies
I just wonder whether they will stage a noisy protest as a result! :lol:

What is your favoured "routine"?
Honestly, I keep a small container of seeds with dehydrated veggies and pellets in the cage all day long. Bailey thinks all veggies are poison but I keep trying. He will not touch any type of "people food". But he always eats more pellets than seed. He likes the Roudybush pellets the best.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This caught my attention! Do you know why or what causes it?
The night frights are probably because I didn't start covering them until this spring.

And I believe they didn't scream in the morning because the the store they come from doesn't open until 11am, and they couldn't see the windows from their cage + they had artificial lighting

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I feel like my feeding schedule is messed up at the moment.... with work and all. Working 8a to 5p, then 6a to 12p, then 9a to 6p, then 7a to 9p, now its 7a or 8a to 7p....

Beau's "diet" has been all over the place, too.... feeding all seeds... all pellets.... seeds and pellets... thankfully he's much better now! Still not sure if at 100% though....

The rest I was trying to do a sprout based diet with fresh foods, but then work got crazy and I stopped feeding sprouts so it's now more pellets.

Cloud

Strolling the yard
For me, they scream in the morning to let me know that I need to take them out.
- I give them veggies when they are out.
-Seed mix with a little Top's pellets around 10am to 1:30 pm.
-Harrison pellet with little freeze dried veggies for the rest of the day.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just an update. All of a sudden (I'm talking like overnight!) I found one bowl with pretty much all the pellets eaten! Now firstly, I need to be sure they aren't just chucking them on the cage floor, so will start with fresh paper tomorrow. Also I need to figure out why that bowl. It's either colour or location (pink or blue, behind curtain or within view of hooman).

So I switched colours round today and will see if it's the same bowl or not. Otherwise I have no idea what brought this sudden challenge! Possibly I won the battle of the wills, or I'm being outwitted by two feathered fiends :lol:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just an update. All of a sudden (I'm talking like overnight!) I found one bowl with pretty much all the pellets eaten!
Don't go getting all excited: it was a waxing moon last night. :hehepink: Just messing with you, congrats! Let's hope whatever the reason, it continues!