• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Young lovebird starting to bite.

SKC4

Strolling the yard
Merry Christmas and Happy holidays you all.

I have a tamed hand feed lovebird she is 4 month old. I take her out of the cage every day and more that once, she basically is asking in the door take me out!!. In the morning all good she likes to fly around the house, however, with no reason that I know of she is starting to bite and harder to the fingers more in the evening. What could possible be happening? We want her to remain tamed….
@Zara @expressmailtome

thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It sounds as if she is starting to want to separate from her "parent". It is an unfortunate part of raising a parrot from a baby that frequently, not always though, happens. Another possibility, since you are saying that it is only during the evening, is that she is just too tired. Do you put her back in her cage to rest for a few hours mid-day before letting her out again? Some birds just need that quiet period of rest to rejuvenate and not be too stressed.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You can also try to redirect - every time she does it, put a toy there instead. Or even a chopstick, just something to take the place of your finger.

SKC4

Strolling the yard
Hi, yes she was plenty of rest (hours) when I take her out again. I will try to observe if something else is making her do that.. also would try to put something to replace my finger (toy, etc).

Thank you @expressmailtome @Xoetix @Zara @Shezbug

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What are you trying to do when she bites you? If it is touch her, some birds simply do not enjoy that, and frankly it may never change. If you are trying to get her to step up, then it may be best to use a perch to get her to step up as she will not bite you, and there will be no change in the relationship that you have with her.

SKC4

Strolling the yard
What are you trying to do when she bites you? If it is touch her, some birds simply do not enjoy that, and frankly it may never change. If you are trying to get her to step up, then it may be best to use a perch to get her to step up as she will not bite you, and there will be no change in the relationship that you have with her.
Well she comes out of the cage in the finger no bites then out she stay on you or enjoy free fly, you are able to touch her something she can stay on you will you touch her is I like this… that’s why then is so wear when you are gonna do the same as always and her mood is bite… when she is flying you can call her and she will land in your hand or head that’s how you bring her back to the cage.
When she starts biting I try to tolerate for a while but if she keeps going hard I just bring her back to the cage.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Well she comes out of the cage in the finger no bites then out she stay on you or enjoy free fly, you are able to touch her something she can stay on you will you touch her is I like this… that’s why then is so wear when you are gonna do the same as always and her mood is bite… when she is flying you can call her and she will land in your hand or head that’s how you bring her back to the cage.
When she starts biting I try to tolerate for a while but if she keeps going hard I just bring her back to the cage.
When she bites say no bite and put her down she’s still a baby and testing with her beak indie did it and this as worked she not a hand bird won’t step up only flys to my arm but comes on my hand after arm first for millet but she will bite I’ve said no bite and put her down now I only have to say no bite and she stops I e found female lovebirds bite a lot harder than males

also I’ve found giving her small treats from my fingers like sunflower seeds as helped too she learnt not to bite so hard with age she does bite to tell me though she’s definitely bossy and knows her mind
I don’t actually know if she female just a guess I would be shocked if I was wrong though

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’ve read about others who will put their biter down on a perch and walk away - take away what they want most, being your attention. They bite, they don’t get attention at all.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I’ve read about others who will put their biter down on a perch and walk away - take away what they want most, being your attention. They bite, they don’t get attention at all.
It’s worked for me with indie and if she bites my ear no shoulder time either

SKC4

Strolling the yard
When she bites say no bite and put her down she’s still a baby and testing with her beak indie did it and this as worked she not a hand bird won’t step up only flys to my arm but comes on my hand after arm first for millet but she will bite I’ve said no bite and put her down now I only have to say no bite and she stops I e found female lovebirds bite a lot harder than males

also I’ve found giving her small treats from my fingers like sunflower seeds as helped too she learnt not to bite so hard with age she does bite to tell me though she’s definitely bossy and knows her mind
I don’t actually know if she female just a guess I would be shocked if I was wrong though
I will definitely try this awesome techniques…. Thanks for th

I will definitely try this awesome techniques. Thanks for sharing them @Emma&pico @Xoetix

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I hope it helps!!