• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Young lovebird regurgitated formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My lovebird is 2.5 mos old but not weaned yet (1-2 handfeedings a day - he asks for it).

Today around 3 pm, he ate a lot of the formula (more than he usually wants).

Around 7 pm I drove with him in a carrier to a park and we stayed there for about an hour. At first he seemed stressed but then just perched, and the last half an hour was napping. I thought that him napping (even though he likes to go nighty-night around 8:00-8:30) was a bit strange, since we were not home!

When we got home, I offered him the formula just in case he was hungry as I knew he would not touch seeds that late. He ate only a bit, maybe 1/2 cc, which I thought was strange too because he has never refused the formula before. He almost immediately fell asleep despite the fact that the lights were still on and I was cleaning his cage. I thought that maybe it was d/t stress caused by being outdoors, but he has been outside a few times before. 2 hrs later, around 11 pm he regurgitated some of the formula.

(It got chilly in the park during the last 20-30 mins. I was fine in a short-sleeve shirt but others were putting sweaters on)

I wiped him and immediately set up a hosp. cage with extra 'blankies' and a heating pad underneath.

It has been almost 3 hrs since he regurgitated. He is sleeping and I am frequently checking on him.

My questions: Should I give him a few drops of Pedialyte mixed with water OR should I let him sleep?
If yes to Pedialyte, what is the correct proportion?
Any other suggestions?

I am trying to figure out what could have caused it:
a) maybe he was sick already and the stress, caused by going to the park, only made him feel worse? but I have not noticed anything unusual earlier.
b) Maybe his crop was not empty yet when we were leaving for the park. Maybe it was too chilly for him and the formula just stayed in the crop, went "bad" so he regurgitated whatever remained.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Update #1: almost 4 a.m. At 3 a.m. I gave him a few drops of boiled cool water (those tiny med syringes from an avian vet come in handy at times!) and he took it well. He is sleeping but now with his head tucked in the back, which he was NOT doing earlier, and I take it as a good sign. When I checked on him, he opened his eyes and they looked bright. They don't look like they were earlier, which our son described "he looks like he was drugged"

I will give him a few more drops of water in an hour and see what happens when a new day starts.

In the back of my mind, there is one thing that is bothering me and A LOT, which is that I am using Kaytee formula now :( I was using Lafeber's but 2 wks ago when I needed more formula, Petsmart (the only local store selling Lafeber's formula here) did not have it, so I had no other option but to buy Kaytee.

Now I know why they advice to buy more than one container of the formula, ha!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Sorry, I don't know anything about baby birds. I hope your little one will be alright. Hopefully those who know will log on and post soon. :sadhug2:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Maybe the car ride made him sick? If he's not doing any better this morning I would get him to an avian vet first thing.

Ginger

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I was thinking maybe even the car trip too. I am not sure about your question (as I don't know what that is used for), but I agree about taking him to the vets if he isn't showing signs of improvement, I hope he is though. Please keep us updated.:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
If this was the first time that You gave him the new formula-it could have not set well with him.If He ate more then normal,he could have just been to full and the ride made his crop upset.Also if His little crop was upset-the cooler temperature could have added to his not feeling well.I pray that He is OK now-if not,I would get him to a QAV as soon as possible:hug8::hug8::hug8:--OH--do You weigh him every day? Is He loosing weight? how are his droppings?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The stress of the ride could have caused this. My concern is that there was still formula in his crop from the earlier feeding. I would add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to his formula for a few days. However, if he regurgitates again a vet check may be in order.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sorry for not updating this thread sooner. I had a v. busy day yesterday.

Bonnie, he has been on Kaytee formula for almost 2 wks so this was not the first time he ate it.

The following morning (yesterday), I gave him a very thin formula. He ate very little. :( I left him in his cage with seeds and millet spray. When I got home, I could tell he did not touch much of the above and his keel bone was prominent.

BUT.... I bought Lafeber's handfeeding formula (which is rice-based so easier to digest as compared to corn-based Kaytee) and as soon as I got home, I fed him. He ate a big meal!
:)
Soon after he became such a happy lovie again. He was flying, chirping happy notes, just back to himself.

He is doing great. Today, he ate the formula in the a.m. and then a bunch of sprouts and seeds, and then more sprouts since his budgie friend was eating them. He has been playing almost all day today, either by himself or with his budgie friend (I think they are in love :heart:

Last edited:

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I have read on another forum that since Kaytee changed their formula some birds don't do well on it. Don't know as I don't have baby birds but I did read there have been problems/.

Kimberly1985

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kimberly
Glad to hear that he's doing okay and that you recognized that something was going on right away and you changed back to the Lafeber's.
:dance4:
I've heard that Kaytee had changed the formula too! I used it with Gracie and everything was fine, but I've heard that some birds just don't take to it well and fail to thrive. As soon as they switched the formula, their baby was doing fine.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Glad your little one is doing better. It may have been a combination of overeating and the car ride.

Sometimes, when they are not feeling quite right, you can also offer the Gerber Rice Diet. It is soothing and less abrasive.

I agree with the others on Kaytee. I prefer the Zupreem Embrace formula.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks again, everyone.
Katie, by Baby Rice Diet, do you mean the baby cereal?

Also, what's interesting is that when Pippin (the lovebird) was on Kaytee, my green-cheek and another lovebird cared less. Now when they see Pippin getting ready to be fed, they both decend from their play area and wait for their turn :)
Green-cheek learned that if she puts the tip of the syringe in her mouth, the formula comes out. Another lovebird has to have small drops of formula dripping from the syringe.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so glad your baby is feeling better. I am not a Kaytee {anything} fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.