• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

young grieving lovebird help

Gemzi2013

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gemma Mchugh
I recently lost my peachfaced lovebird the day after her 1st vet visit she was paired with a younger black cheeked male who's now grieving any suggestions how I can help him

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
You have to let him grieve...lots of attention and treats may help. I had the same thing happen back in August..my female tiel died and her mate just grieved and grieved. He looked for her and called for her..He settled down after about two weeks..but still continued to look for her. I am sure if she came strolling through the door right now, he would be the happiest tiel on earth..unfortunately, this is just something you have to wait out.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry. Yes, let him grieve and give him some extra Lovins. :hug8:

Gemzi2013

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gemma Mchugh
The only problem I have is he isn't tame and is very nervous

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
So sorry for your loss.We too just recently almost a month ago lost one of our lovies,Sammy leaving his life long mate Sunny behind.It broke our hearts as we watched Sunny grieve.She would look for him and call out to him all to no available.She even stopped eating.We had to do something so we acquired 2 other lovies who were in need of a new home.Their previous owner no longer had the time for them.It was meant to be that we found them and that they came home to become part of our flock.Sunny has staring eating again and is now coming out of her shell without Sammy.She LOVES to play with the Capri and Blue but does not like them in her cage.She is too territorial when it comes to her cage so they are housed in seperate cages that are side by side.Sunny is not a bird that likes to be handled and her bite is ferroscious! Before we got the two new lovies we gave her lots of extra TLC and someone was always with her.She spent ALL day outside of her cage when possible.She would scream whenever she was left alone (human wise that is as she has all kinds of other birds around her). I do understand what you are going through.It is very heartbreaking for us to lose a friend but it is even more heartbreaking to watch the one that is left behind grieving HUGS