• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Young Cockatiel Behavior

Szandor

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
Hi there everyone!

This is my first post on this site, so if I do anything wrong do tell me and I'll fix it!
I have a 5 month old Cockatiel, likely a male, called Sam. He's been acting a little odd lately, in that he is moving one wing like it's uncomfortable and getting moody with me(not constantly, and not every day; just sometimes crabby for a couple hours).
I thought he might have some pain there, so I gently ran my hand over both wings while cuddling and he had no reaction. He flies and glides well, and eats a varied diet. He's my first bird since moving out on my own, so I'm a little lost on this weird behavior! I've been told it may be hormones or his clipped wing feathers growing back, but am not sure.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
He could be molting possibly, that could make his wing feathers uncomfortable. Especially if he was clipped incorrectly, as some super short or jagged clips can cause feathers to grow in strangely. Can you see any pin feathers (small "spiky" white feather sheaths)? Giving him a shower or bath, only if he's comfortable with it, could help his feathers feel better if it's a molt.
I don't know if he'd be hormonal so young, hopefully an experienced tiel person can help you there. Good luck with your guy. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you held him and opened the wing to examine all the feathers and underneath?

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
In addition to what's been suggested already, you might want to try a small spray bottle with water just to give him a couple of sprays every now and then throughout the day. Depending on where you live, the air could be very dry because of forced air heating and many cockatiels do enjoy their baths! But since this may be a new experience for him, start slowly and follow his lead in terms of how comfortable (or uncomfortable) he might be. Also, feel free to include a video as that might help us be a bit more helpful in giving our well-intended advice. :) At any rate, very happy for you and Sam and I hope he's back to his normal self soon! :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I think he's too young for hormones. Probably an uncomfortable feather unless he injured his wing somehow. Does he flap it?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds to me like he has an uncomfortable feather, either from poking him from being clipped, or broken. Misting, if he likes it, is a good idea. You could try finding the feather that’s irritating him and pull it straight out, but I probably wouldn’t do this unless you are experienced. The feather might also correct itself on its own. In addition, it’s always a good idea to have a clotting agent on hand like styptic powder.

Szandor

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
He could be molting possibly, that could make his wing feathers uncomfortable. Especially if he was clipped incorrectly, as some super short or jagged clips can cause feathers to grow in strangely. Can you see any pin feathers (small "spiky" white feather sheaths)? Giving him a shower or bath, only if he's comfortable with it, could help his feathers feel better if it's a molt.
I don't know if he'd be hormonal so young, hopefully an experienced tiel person can help you there. Good luck with your guy. :)
He has been loosing some little feathers recently, so molting may be the issue! And when I got him I requested the owner of his parents clip his wings, and they seemed to be done very hastily and not very carefully. He wasn't in any pain or bleeding, but that very well could be the issue now that the feathers are growing back.
He does have a few pin feathers around the neck, and I have a spray bottle I spritz him with every now and again, but I'll do it a little more often now! Thank you all for the great advice!

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
My tiel is acting similarly. She's not holding her wing oddly though, but and she's definitely molting. This is her first big molt as well, and it has been going on for a while. Tiels usually molt anywhere from 6-12 months of age, so your tiel is just about at the right age for it.

Mine has been grouchy on and off because of it too. When she goes to preen her wing or move it, she'll sometimes let out a little squawk because it's uncomfortable for her. It's hard watching them and knowing they're so uncomfortable. I hope your tiel gets through his molt quickly. Feeding a little bit of scrambled eggs is a big help when they're molting because of the protein.

Szandor

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
My tiel is acting similarly. She's not holding her wing oddly though, but and she's definitely molting. This is her first big molt as well, and it has been going on for a while. Tiels usually molt anywhere from 6-12 months of age, so your tiel is just about at the right age for it.

Mine has been grouchy on and off because of it too. When she goes to preen her wing or move it, she'll sometimes let out a little squawk because it's uncomfortable for her. It's hard watching them and knowing they're so uncomfortable. I hope your tiel gets through his molt quickly. Feeding a little bit of scrambled eggs is a big help when they're molting because of the protein.
Ah, amazing to know that someone else is going through a similar thing with their tiel! My Sam loves scrambled eggs with a passion, so I'll make some today :)

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Yeah, tonight she was very nippy and grouchy all night. She's been ready for bed earlier, since molting is hard on them, so I've been putting her to bed a little earlier too, which helps. :)