• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Young budgies death and reassurance.

nour.s

Moving in
Real Name
Nour
Hello, please bear with me, I really need someone to help me sort out this budgies story and reassure me. We adopted a female budgie who looks to be 7-9 months old, the previous owners were selling her on Facebook, and I couldn’t help but get her becasue of her living conditions. They had placed her in a tiny cage, not suitable for any bird with only seeds and water, and never let her out. They said she lived there for 3 months. Their child had ripped her feathers at some points as well, sadly. So we rescued her in September and she was terrified! We placed her in a bigger cage, and slowly started to bring our fingers closer. After a couple of days, we left the cage door open, and she flew around the room, but she hit the walls because she never flew before. She had some blood at the edge of her nose :(, but she didn’t show any other symptoms. We left the cage closed for about two weeks, then she flew out again, this time we clipped a bit of her feathers to avoid crashing into anything. (Keep in mind that she flew out because she was interested in my other budgie singing). Once we clipped her wings she slowly started getting used to us, and she would sit with us for a bit. Around mid November she started letting us scratch her neck and she would sit with us longer. She then started to sit in the palms of our hands like the pictures, and would love it. (I was planning to take both her and my other budgie to the vet for a check up, I was just waiting for my other budgie to stop laying eggs. I also ordered a traveling cage I was waiting for.) The sleeping in the hand continued, we thought she liked to cuddle because she was young. We didn’t think of it anything urgent. She was eating and drinking, by the end of November/beginning December, she would either want to sit in our hands or necks, or eat. She was always sleeping, we should have thought of it more i can’t stop blaming myself. Because on December 7th we woke up and found her passed away in the corner of the floor of her cage. It was heartbreaking. I need reassurance. I know this was a long post. But I feel very guilty for not thinking much of the sleeping, and booking a vet appointment sooner. I am devastated. I can’t stop crying. Would the vet been able to do something? Does anyone have any idea of what was wrong with her? I took a vet appointment for my other budgie for precaution. Thank you for reading this. Tooti will be missed ❤

Attachments

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
I am so sorry for your loss......... :sadhug: You did a fantastic thing by rescuing Tooti and you cared for her with all your heart, atleast she died thinking that she was loved and cared for.
Would the vet been able to do something?
That would most likely depend on the severity of the illness when it would be detected.
Does anyone have any idea of what was wrong with her?
I don't think anyone can tell what happened to her, you will mos likely have to have a necropsy done. :)
Again I am very sorry for your loss and Tooti was a beautiful budgie :sorrow:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm just so sorry for the loss of your sweet little budgie!! I know this has to be heartbreaking! :(

I really think the only way to be sure is to have a necropsy performed on her if you can find an avian vet clinic capable of doing one on a bird so small.

Even though she was with you for such a short time, she was greatly loved!!

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
Aww that's, so sad. It reminds me of my female budgie that recently passed away as well, she had similar symptoms I know exactly how you feel....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, a lot of budgies have short lives because of breeding mills, etc. Without a necropsy, there's no way to know what happened. It could have been something genetic, etc. Try to take comfort instead in knowing that you gave this little bird a great life for the time you had her.

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Aww, I'm so sorry. :( I look at birds on Kijiji all the time, and their living conditions break my heart. I'm sure their health is severely affected, and there is no one of knowing everything that happened to them. You gave Tooti a chance, and love. Focus on that. Hugs!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I am so sorry for your loss. Birds naturally hide their symptoms, so she could have been sick much longer than you thought. She had a great life with you.

nour.s

Moving in
Real Name
Nour
I am so sorry for your loss. Birds naturally hide their symptoms, so she could have been sick much longer than you thought. She had a great life with you.
[/QUOTE
Thank you <3 yes she might have :(