• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Young Bourke with Red Lump Under Beak

IbisAbyss

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Elizabeth
Pippin, my 3-month-old make Bourke parakeet, had a big red lump under his beak yesterday. He seemed fine, or rather, he seemed like his usual self as I've had him less than a month - he preens a lot, and he has weird panic fits every night when it gets dark (he came with his wings clipped and can't fly, but he'll hang onto a perch and flap frantically for a few minutes). He might have been a little grouchier than usual - he normally bites everything all the time, but he was attacking my fingers extra roughly. I called and made an appointment with our vet but we cannot be seen for two weeks. Today the lump is gone. How worried should I be? Could it just have been a blood blister? I'm becoming paranoid about mites. If the cage has mites, maybe that would explain the nighttime freak outs. Sorry for being a neurotic new bird parent. pippin1.jpg pippin2.jpg pippin3.jpg
In these photos you can see a smaller red lump on his neck/upper chest as well. I can't see it today.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Call your avian vet.

IbisAbyss

Real Name
Elizabeth
Thanks, that was the first thing I did but they can't get us in for two weeks, so I thought I might as well ask the forum in the meantime.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
It doesn't look like mites to me JMHO. Is he scratching at it?

IbisAbyss

Real Name
Elizabeth
Thanks for replying. Yes, he's been scratching at it. I wonder if it disappeared because he popped whatever-it-was overnight.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
It might be ingrown feather but keep it clean and dry any signs of infection, swelling, pus, excessive bleeding, haul to ER vet that sees birds.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, if it's gone and you didn't find any blood in the cage or on him, I'd bet feather cysts. I would keep the appointment in two weeks though and ask about the wing flapping episodes.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Does he have a night light?