• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You think cat hair is bad?

Jogging around the block
Most people say the most hairy animal is cats ... Makes me giggle. Rabbits. Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits.
Within 100 meters of a rabbit? You got hair on your clothes.
Change their water? You got rabbit hair everywhere, eyelashes, jackets, boots, gloves. Everywhere.
Clean the cage? You got rabbit hair in your eye and down your throat. Don't try this at home guys, it's a choke risk.
Pick it up? You got a new fur coat.
Stroke it? You created a fluffy tumbleweed.

Little cousin was here a while ago, had Milo the molting rex rabbit out (seriously, it's a real rabbit breed. Not a dinosaur ;)) . We pet him, and we were left with this clump of hair the size of our hands.. We did that multiple times and stuck it to our clothes, we looked like .. I can't even describe it. We were covered in thick clumps of it.. everywhere..
It was a terrible nightmare to clean up :laughin:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hahahaha I agree!! We have had a lot of rabbit over the years, one girl was half flamish giant mixed with another breed. She was the worst shedder ever! When I would brush her I changed my clothes and put a hoodie on I'm attempt to protect my mouth, in vain haha.

Coop

Meeting neighbors
Laughing. You know the saying, take cat fur and make kitten britches--definitely the way to go with rabbits. Get an angora and collect the fur and sell it or make yarn and turn it into beautiful scarves/hats/socks/mittens! Last I checked combed white angora fur was going for $35 for 100 grams and $125 a pound!

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have a barn full of wool rabbits. Between them and the Labradors, a good high end vacuum might last an entire year.

There are days when I grab a clean tee shirt from my drawer or out of the dryer, and it’s got little angora rabbit woolly bits stuck to it.
All part of the charm! 1387E32E-AB10-499B-8EDD-700B681865DE.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have a barn full of wool rabbits. Between them and the Labradors, a good high end vacuum might last an entire year.

There are days when I grab a clean tee shirt from my drawer or out of the dryer, and it’s got little angora rabbit woolly bits stuck to it.
All part of the charm! View attachment 400513
Ooh my goodness! Look at that precious little fluffball! :heart:

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
I totally agree, we have/had many kind of animals in the house. And indeed rabbit hair is actually the worst :lol:. Whereas cat hairs and dog hairs only stuck a bit to clothing or your furniture, it's quite easy to clean up (although short dog hairs are a bit harder), but rabbit hair clings to literally anything. When I cleaned the rabbits I always made sure that I hadn't applied a cream on my face or hadn't applied lip balm, because the fine hairs would fly around and get stuck on it. I also had rabbit hairs in my lashes and stuck to my nose the entire day after cleaning them :lol:.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Believe it or not... I just picked up a used book telling you how to use combed out cat hair [rabbit is probably even better]... Tho not as useable as sheep wool... still can add decorative touches of it to items... :D

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Believe it or not... I just picked up a used book telling you how to use combed out cat hair [rabbit is probably even better]... Tho not as useable as sheep wool... still can add decorative touches of it to items... :D
This has me imagining all sorts of things. Cat hair doilies on the end tables. Cat hair coasters. Cat hair curtain hold backs… tabby cat oven mitt…Siamese tissue box cover… :rofl:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
There is an annual 'wool fair' near here, where they exhibit sheep, etc products-- I have been [semi] fascinated w/ the process of making decorations/ objects with the wool...
Actually considered raising rabbits for sale, meat, and coat... hasn't happened yet tho...

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Actually considered raising rabbits for sale, meat, and coat... hasn't happened yet tho...
Get yourself some French angora, and you’ll be set. Just make sure they’ve got a decent temperament. Pedigrees are a must if you want to ensure a decent price on babies or want to color genetics. Rabbit is the best protein, and you absolutely cannot beat the conversion rate!! I have absolutely nothing negative to say about rabbits for sustenance.