• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You guys are my last hope! Help! This canary was found in a really bad shape outside

cplk

Moving in
Real Name
Christos
Someone had treated it really badly and it was nearly dead when I found him last November. He has 3 fingers missing and a weird eye infection. Since then, I visited 1 vet, 1 bird specilized vet, 2 canary testing laboratories and we followed a lot of treatments. I show all the medicine below. The medicines were offered for some days, then pauses with Probiotics and Vitamins and then again another medicine trial. The laboratory results came in that this bird had "Coccidia spp, Ascaridia galli, E.Coli and the 2nd laboratory found "Neisseria Spp" on its eye. After all these months, we stopped giving him any medicine. Since May we haven't given anything to the bird. His eye is getting worst. The vets do not know anything else I can do to this bird. We reached a point that they told me "I don't know what else we can do about it.". Guys. This brid is super friendly, he tries to sing, he is super happy, he is eating normally, he is communicating with my rest canaries, he is having his baths. I REFUSE TO STOP TRYING. Do have ANY IDEAS about what to do to help him? Below a picture of him, his right side eye and some of the medicines he received. (The blurred thing on the actual black eye is the membrane).

Attachments

cplk

Moving in
Real Name
Christos
Update: I went again to another vet today. He was also specilized with birds. He helped a lot. He taught us first of all how to create a bandage “shoe” for his fingerless foot with their vet bandage. Secondly he stopped all medicines. Thirdly he told us to do a bath with our hands and help it clean itself from the medicine gels that was stuck on its feathers. We will go again to this vet next Wednesday to see it more clearly. It seems he doesn’t have anything. It seems that the gel from the medicines might have pulled the feathers away from his eye. Also, he examined with a magnifying glass his eye and he told us that its eye was scratched by a cat before we found it. It has an open “disformation” on the start of the eye socket that will never heal.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello and Welcome! I'm so sorry to hear about all you and this poor finch have been through!

What concerns me about all the vet visits is that it doesn't seem as though anyone cultured the infections to determine what antibiotics would be most useful. That is a real shame, in my opinion. I'm glad that you have had more luck with the vet visit today. It sounds like a reasonable plan, and I hope that the visit next Wednesday will be more informative. If there is an open wound in the eye socket, how can that be protected? (would be one of my questions)

I hope your sweet little feathered companion will begin to improve!

cplk

Moving in
Real Name
Christos
That’s a good question. Next Wednesday I’ll ask him. For now the bird is in shock. We gave him a rub on its feathers and he got really shocked. He now fell asleep. It’s a bit late for him.

cplk

Moving in
Real Name
Christos
He was doing anything a healthy canary does. Normal baths, singing, chirping, eating, socializing. I had 3 baths per week that he would jump in and do his job. After today’s shock, I closed the lights, and he is on a dark silent room with my other 2 canaries to sleep for the night. I’m just really anxious if he will wake up tomorrow or something. He was really petrified with the rubbing with shampoo, water and drying process. What a shame that such a tiny little soul has lived abandoning or escaping, living in nature the first months of its life, got mites, got attacked by a cat, eye infection and it lost his right side fingers… We came really far with the whole medicine procedures. He is now healthy. The only thing that is left is the eye that got swollen.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor man! Going to the 'doctor' is never fun! Hopefully he'll get plenty of rest tonight and be chipper again in a day or two!

FrogsGoMoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just looked at a bunch of meds! Unneeded and needed..baytril ,,broad spectrum anti biotic, flagyl,,for yeast infection..,,cant read most of them.. you should show this to vet,,in my opinion, most of those are unnecessary..I would definitely talk to the vet about that eye,,is it whole? Still hope, there..tylosin power, given in the water is for : behind the eye ball infection,,issues, like inside the head,,behind the eye, where you cant see it....
@rocky'smom
@JLcribber
@cassiesdad
@saroj12
@ mythic55

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Alot is the meds I have never heard of. I hope the little ones gets better soon.

Solly

Strolling the yard
He was doing anything a healthy canary does. Normal baths, singing, chirping, eating, socializing. I had 3 baths per week that he would jump in and do his job. After today’s shock, I closed the lights, and he is on a dark silent room with my other 2 canaries to sleep for the night. I’m just really anxious if he will wake up tomorrow or something. He was really petrified with the rubbing with shampoo, water and drying process. What a shame that such a tiny little soul has lived abandoning or escaping, living in nature the first months of its life, got mites, got attacked by a cat, eye infection and it lost his right side fingers… We came really far with the whole medicine procedures. He is now healthy. The only thing that is left is the eye that got swollen.
hey there, I was wondering how your wee one was doing? Please update us :)

cplk

Moving in
Real Name
Christos
We now have a cast on our fingerless open-wounded foot and are doing weekly baths to remove all the extra medicine gels that were stuck on our skin and feathers. As for the eye, it is still in the same condition. Vet wants to focus first on its standing and flying and then fix the eye. At least, with the baths with soap and warm water, the eye stopped getting swollen and is stable.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Wow... poor little bird. Really hope the best for him, and thank you for taking care of him.

Solly

Strolling the yard
Bless.. I feel he’s in good hands with you though. I hope he makes an excellent recovery. :toyou: