• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yolky coming out of his shell

edenic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eden
Yolky has been a very anxious bird since we got him, he knows how to step up but would bite or run away from us if we tried to get him to step up in the beginning. He wasn’t aggressive to our other cockatiel Blue but generally avoided getting too close to him as well, and would get irritated when Blue tried to preen him.

Today we got him to sit with us on the couch across from the bird cages with Blue. He was uncomfortable at first and looked like he wanted to fly away, but I think he saw how Blue was very comfortably preening himself and started to do so as well. To our surprise he even reached over while Blue was preening and began to preen his head.

Unfortunately our budgies had to scream and fly across the room right at that moment which scared Blue, causing him to jerk his head to the side. I think it made Yolky accidentally hurt Blue’s pin feathers (he has quite a few on his head) because Blue let out a yelp, and then became angry and a bit scared of Yolky :(

Right after Blue ran away, Yolky did something I did not expect him to do for at least a few more weeks. He lowered his head for me to pet him! He only allowed it for a few seconds but it wasn’t that long ago that he would try to bite if our hands were anywhere near his face or head. I’m honestly amazed right now and had to share the news. I’m so glad that Yolky is becoming more comfortable with us, Blue and his new home.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baby steps have turned into giant leaps! That's awesome progress.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like you´re make steady progress :)

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Yolky has been a very anxious bird since we got him, he knows how to step up but would bite or run away from us if we tried to get him to step up in the beginning. He wasn’t aggressive to our other cockatiel Blue but generally avoided getting too close to him as well, and would get irritated when Blue tried to preen him.

Today we got him to sit with us on the couch across from the bird cages with Blue. He was uncomfortable at first and looked like he wanted to fly away, but I think he saw how Blue was very comfortably preening himself and started to do so as well. To our surprise he even reached over while Blue was preening and began to preen his head.

Unfortunately our budgies had to scream and fly across the room right at that moment which scared Blue, causing him to jerk his head to the side. I think it made Yolky accidentally hurt Blue’s pin feathers (he has quite a few on his head) because Blue let out a yelp, and then became angry and a bit scared of Yolky :(

Right after Blue ran away, Yolky did something I did not expect him to do for at least a few more weeks. He lowered his head for me to pet him! He only allowed it for a few seconds but it wasn’t that long ago that he would try to bite if our hands were anywhere near his face or head. I’m honestly amazed right now and had to share the news. I’m so glad that Yolky is becoming more comfortable with us, Blue and his new home.
He's obviously very happy to be with you and wants to be part of the family. He's also quite smart

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad things are going well. :)