• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yes it works - Home Remedies for sick birds

Goodegg

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
I am creating this thread for those who are low on funds for vet care and are feeling helpless. There are things you can do that will help your bird without making matters worse.

I am asking other members to please help me create this thread as a collection of home remedies that have worked for their birds.

Please include information on the symptoms or diagnosis your bird had, the product you used with links if possible, the dosage you gave to your bird and how you administered it so that people who are in a panic trying to help their sick birds can get help fast. below are a couple things that have worked for my bird, Icarus a Meyers Parrot.

My bird Icarus was experiencing the very first signs of an issue → Diarrhea with something that resembled sand in her pooh. She was otherwise "ok" however, the proof was in the pooh. Rather than wait I successfully used the following remedies and the results were pretty outstanding within just one day.

aloe detox → 1/2 capful to a pint of water *** poop may change color temporarily *** I gave this to her in her morning water when they drink most and the rest of the day was just water (clean filtered water)
this is a link to the exact brand of aloe detox that I used for Icarus as of 9/2017
Amazon.com: Lily of The Desert Aloe Herbal Detoxifying Formula, 32 Fluid Ounce: Health & Personal Care

More detailed instructions on dosage of aloe detox and other helpful remedies in this article.... for aloe detox instructions just scroll down till you see the big bottle of aloe detox
Liver and Kidneys...Just some FYI - Just Cockatiels!

This is herb salad → I gave this to her in a separate dish, I left it available to her at all times. She used it to medicate herself choosing the herbs she needed. I was in awe watching her sift through it and furthermore impressed as she healed she sifted through less often. I learned never to underestimate their instincts to help themselves as they are not nearly as confused as we are ;) and Thank God for that ! It really helped her.
Amazon.com : Herb Salad for All Birds (4 Ounce) : Pet Supplies

Thank you in advance to all of those who take the time to create an easy to read detailed post for people seeking help for their sick companion birds. We all know how stressful and worrisome it is for both bird an owner when there is a health issue. Please post → your information may save a birds life and save their human a lot of grief. May all those who need this information find it at the right time. Blessings to all and
Be well :hug8:
:heart:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If your bird is bleeding, you can use flour or cornstarch in stead of styptic powder to stop the bleeding! Just make sure if you're using flour that it's unbleached white flour! Press some on the spot that's bleeding, and put pressure on it for a few seconds. Should work like a charm!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Great idea! For bird species that frequently get AGY or avian gastric yeast like budgies I have taken it upon myself to give them unfiltered vinegar in the drinking water for one week out of each month. It is not a cure but the additional acidic environment created in the birds GI system is not friendly to the growth of yeast. 2 Tsp. to a quart of water and keep the unused portion in the refrigerator until finished. In addition to that I not longer feed fresh corn. Reason for this is corn can be difficult to digest and may
stay in a birds crop longer than other foods, thus creating the possibility for the formation of fungus. I have had no incidence of gastric yeast since Murphy was diagnosed.

One side note about herb salad is that its best to serve in a shallow dish as a bird can better forage though the herbs to self medicate. Also if you are treating you bird with home remedies it is best to speak to your avian vet about what you are using because herbs can interfere with some medications prescribed for a bird.

Goodegg

Avenue Veteran
Great Information on the Vinegar, Lady Jane !!!! :) Thank you so much for sharing !!! Vantcors, Great question about the fresh aloe plant... I have a plant as well and have no idea how to use the fresh aloe with birds, hopefully we will get a good answer to that question here soon....

KeriKeri

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Keri
Great idea! For bird species that frequently get AGY or avian gastric yeast like budgies I have taken it upon myself to give them unfiltered vinegar in the drinking water for one week out of each month. It is not a cure but the additional acidic environment created in the birds GI system is not friendly to the growth of yeast. 2 Tsp. to a quart of water and keep the unused portion in the refrigerator until finished. In addition to that I not longer feed fresh corn. Reason for this is corn can be difficult to digest and may
stay in a birds crop longer than other foods, thus creating the possibility for the formation of fungus. I have had no incidence of gastric yeast since Murphy was diagnosed.

One side note about herb salad is that its best to serve in a shallow dish as a bird can better forage though the herbs to self medicate. Also if you are treating you bird with home remedies it is best to speak to your avian vet about what you are using because herbs can interfere with some medications prescribed for a bird.

Would apple cider vinegar work? (With the “mother”)
I’ve started all of my chicken chicks with ACV in their water and never had any GI issues.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Aloe Vera
There are many plants called “aloe” so first make sure you have the right plant.
The gel (and only the gel) is good for birds’ skin - and yours, if you get a parrot bite!

To mix it, fill a clean spray bottle with fresh water and cut off a fresh aloe leaf. squeeze out the gel. I don’t know the exact amount, maybe for a 6 oz spray bottle use 1/2 to 1 tsp. of gel. You want it to mix well so it will spray out easily.

Do NOT let your bird eat the aloe plant. the leaves are toxic.

I have aloe plants in my front and back yards and yes, I use the gel for birds.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
In addition to that I not longer feed fresh corn. Reason for this is corn can be difficult to digest and may
stay in a birds crop longer than other foods, thus creating the possibility for the formation of fungus.
Does this also aply to cooked corn?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aloe tonic is amazing stuff! 115 grams peeled aloe to 4 cups sterile water ,,place it in the fridge for 24 hours, then remove the aloe vera, can be used as a spritz for picking/ plucking issues..can be given as an oral drink, or in a syringe ,, the tonic will stay in the fridge for up to 3 months...its natural and will not hurt your baby! You can also use fresh aloe for wounds, cuts, scrapes, even on humans. It's good for burns, help lesson scaring...its just awesome stuff.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The corn thing is just my experience with budgies. It makes sense to me but I don't want other people to think corn is a bad thing because it is something not proven to be factual.

As far as the aloe gel----is the commercial aloe gel good to use topically? Humans and birds.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Apple cider vinegar in cockatiel water 2times a week helps my Bebe . He has permament liver and kidney problems, from former owner feeding him human junk food.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Not a remedy but willow bark works pain releaving.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Be very careful about using any willow bark some willow trees are sprayed with pesticides.

Last edited:

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
As far as the aloe gel----is the commercial aloe gel good to use topically? Humans and birds.
I'm not a fan of most commercial gels. Personally, I find that most of the ones I see in stores have a strange taste and smell and just aren't as good. I've used fresh gel on my cuts and burns as well as commercial, and it just doesn't dry the same. Store bought gels always leave my hands feeling sticky and gross.

Goodegg

Avenue Veteran
Apple cider vinegar in cockatiel water 2times a week helps my Bebe . He has permament liver and kidney problems, from former owner feeding him human junk food.
This is great information, Thank you. How much vinegar do you add to the water?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ACV apple cider vinegar

Avıı

Moving in
Real Name
Avi
If your bird is bleeding, you can use flour or cornstarch in stead of styptic powder to stop the bleeding! Just make sure if you're using flour that it's unbleached white flour! Press some on the spot that's bleeding, and put pressure on it for a few seconds. Should work like a charm!
One of the vets on Petcoach doesn't suggest flour tho...
(for those who haven't heard of this) Petcoach is an app where you can ask vets a quick question and receive a brief answer for free. A must have.
anyways.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
One of the vets on Petcoach doesn't suggest flour tho...
(for those who haven't heard of this) Petcoach is an app where you can ask vets a quick question and receive a brief answer for free. A must have.
anyways.
It's the only thing my (board-certified) vet suggests for cuts and wounds on the body, and for blood feathers. She only uses styptic powder on nails.

It kept my bird alive while I rushed him to the ER at 8pm after he flew into a wall twice. Over an hour's drive one way. Better than putting goodness knows what into a wound.

I keep both in my kit (in my opinion, all parronts should have an emergency kit) just in case, but flour will always be my mainstay.