• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yellow sided turquoise conure and cinnamon conure, what will their babies be?

Seulregi

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys! as I mentioned in the title. I have a female yellow sided turquoise (tic-tac) and a male cinnamon conure (Ricky) who have just started mating and the female is working the nest, I’m just curious as to what colours they are expected to throw? I haven’t been able to find much information on what coloured babies could produce. Thanks for any help you can give me! :)
also, looking for recommendations on a good brooder, or how to make a brooder yourself? I’m considering hand rearing. I’ve hand reared ring necks before with assistance from my dad but this would be my first time doing it myself.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yellow sided and cinnamon are sex-linked recessive traits. Turquoise is autosomal recessive (not sex-linked).

Your male is cinnamon, so all female offspring will be cinnamon. All male offspring will be split to cinnamon (visually normal, but carrying the cinnamon gene).

Your female is yellow-sided and turquoise. So she can't pass yellow-sided to her female offspring, but all male off-spring will be split to yellow-sided. All off-spring of both genders will be split to turquoise. Unless your male happens to be carrying the turquoise gene or the yellow-sided gene. In that case, half of the offspring end up visually turquoise and some of the cocks/hens could be yellow-sided.

Most likely outcome - Normal green cheek cocks (split to turquoise, cinnamon and yellow-sided) and cinnamon hens (split to turquoise).

Seulregi

Meeting neighbors
Yellow sided and cinnamon are sex-linked recessive traits. Turquoise is autosomal recessive (not sex-linked).

Your male is cinnamon, so all female offspring will be cinnamon. All male offspring will be split to cinnamon (visually normal, but carrying the cinnamon gene).

Your female is yellow-sided and turquoise. So she can't pass yellow-sided to her female offspring, but all male off-spring will be split to yellow-sided. All off-spring of both genders will be split to turquoise. Unless your male happens to be carrying the turquoise gene or the yellow-sided gene. In that case, half of the offspring end up visually turquoise and some of the cocks/hens could be yellow-sided.

Most likely outcome - Normal green cheek cocks (split to turquoise, cinnamon and yellow-sided) and cinnamon hens (split to turquoise).
thank you so much for taking the time to write that up and answer my question, I really appreciate it! Again, thank you!! <3 I’m really looking forward to seeing their babies if they have any.

Reactions: Ali

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
No problem. I love genetics.

If I had the time and space to devout to it, I would be strongly tempted to get into breeding just so I would have an excuse to play around with Punnett squares.

Reactions: Ali