• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Yellow poop?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
I'm sorry i am posting this in emergency because i am kind of freaked out
i just noticed Mitthu's poop are kind of yellowish green and also a bit runny one or two of them were actually verry runny!! i also saw couple of normal poop at the bottom.
And also maybe i could be wrong but i don't see her eating like a pig the way she used to eat though she eats her dinner like a before but the rest of the day she doesn't eat much i think but again i might be wrong
Other than that she looks perfectly normal
I'm really worried
I dont have an avian vet around
what should i do?
please help

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Has she eaten anything Yellow lately? Yellow pellets, Yellow veggies/fruits?? any thing with a lot of water? Melons, Iceberg lettuce etc?

I know the feeling of no Avian vet, do you have any Normal Vets that see birds at least?? I'll use those when I absolutely have to (and when we have no other choice it's the best we can do!)

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
she got corn on cob today but even chhotu got the same her poop are normal!
though i doubt mitthu ate any of the corn she just like to take the kernels off the cob!
thats the only yellow thing she got today
and i have a canine vet nearby but he doesn't see birds and honestly i don't trust him. because ppl here don't take theirs birds to vets EVER so i'm pretty much sure he doest have any experience with birds

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Is she playing, and preening okay? How do her eyes and nares look? Any thing stuck to her vent?

Ginger

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Is she playing, and preening okay? How do her eyes and nares look? Any thing stuck to her vent?

Ginger
yes she's playing and preening okay and i just checked her vent area its clean she look fine

here is the pic of her poop (passed 10 or so mins ago)
She has never had such poops before its looking scary
Picture 025.jpg

Picture 024.jpg

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
does she by chance have a Pineapple mineral block in her cage??? or any yellow mineral block

that looks exactly like the dust from ours, when the birds gnaw on them and If she was using it and doesn't use it often then It would most likely give her a yellow tinge to her poop

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It may have just been something she ate. Monitor the poops for the next 24 hours. If it continues then there may be a problem. You could give her some ACV in some juice or water which will help to clear up any "low" grade bacterial infection.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OK, trying to help here by finding more information for you to read:
Parrot Poopology 101
Green and/or yellow colored urine or urates is attributed to liver disease, although there are reports that a diet with high amounts of vitamin A may cause changes in the color of the urates.
Scoop on Poop
Another cause of yellow poop is a giardia infection. Giardia are tiny Protozoan parasites that can invade the intestines and result in severe yellow diarrhea. It is a dangerous and contagious affliction that doctors are obligated to report to the Center for Disease Control
http://www.avianweb.com/poopology.html
This is just a heads up for you...make sure he is DRINKING water! Don't want him to dehydrate!
Hope some of this leads you in a direction....
Do you have Papaya? It is great to help with a sick bird not only in the crop but intestines...also cayenne pepper will help also...:hug8:
:hug8:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Juhi,

Try emailing and sending pics to Dr. Burkett from the Bird Boutique in NC. He always answers my questions and he might be able to offer some insight.

It is tough not having an avian vet around.

www.birdieboutique.com i think that is the link. He is in North Carolina

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Juhi,

Try emailing and sending pics to Dr. Burkett from the Bird Boutique in NC. He always answers my questions and he might be able to offer some insight.

It is tough not having an avian vet around.

Parrots Foraging Roudybush Harrison's ZuPreem Lafeber Pet Birds African Grey Volkman Aviary Breeder Parrots Birds Board Certified Avian Veterinarian Oxyfresh Lafeber Nutriberries Pets Toys The Birdie Boutique Poop-off Camicide Pet Focus i think that is the link. He is in North Carolina
Thanks a lot!
he's on fb i'll also leave a msg there

OK, trying to help here by finding more information for you to read:
Parrot Poopology 101
Green and/or yellow colored urine or urates is attributed to liver disease, although there are reports that a diet with high amounts of vitamin A may cause changes in the color of the urates.
Scoop on Poop
Another cause of yellow poop is a giardia infection. Giardia are tiny Protozoan parasites that can invade the intestines and result in severe yellow diarrhea. It is a dangerous and contagious affliction that doctors are obligated to report to the Center for Disease Control
http://www.avianweb.com/poopology.html
This is just a heads up for you...make sure he is DRINKING water! Don't want him to dehydrate!
Hope some of this leads you in a direction....
Do you have Papaya? It is great to help with a sick bird not only in the crop but intestines...also cayenne pepper will help also...:hug8:
:hug8:
its night here and i don't have any papaya on hand right now will get it first thing in the morning
and i have no idea what is the local name for cayenne pepper here, have been trying for ages...
Is cayenne pepper similar to red chilli powder??

I hope he doesn't have anything serious. will look into those article right now
thanks
It may have just been something she ate. Monitor the poops for the next 24 hours. If it continues then there may be a problem. You could give her some ACV in some juice or water which will help to clear up any "low" grade bacterial infection.
I hope its something she ate!
What is ACV? where can i get it?

does she by chance have a Pineapple mineral block in her cage??? or any yellow mineral block

that looks exactly like the dust from ours, when the birds gnaw on them and If she was using it and doesn't use it often then It would most likely give her a yellow tinge to her poop
no she doesn't have anything yellow in her cage, i just remembered she had a dab of curd today

Thanks everyone :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
ACV - Raw organic unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. You should be able to get it at almost any health food store.

6 - 10 drops in a mug sized bird cup or about 1 tablespoon per quart of water.

Last edited:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
ACV - Raw organic unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. You should be able to get it at almost any health food store.
Oh ok.
But its not available here, atleast not where i live i tried almost every store here! :(
any other substitute i can use?

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
he looks fine though, she just ate her dinner and is preening right now.
i'll put them to bed in an hour or so

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Juhi...This is Cayenne pepper and the different names it is under:
also known as the Guinea spice, Cow Horn Pepper, aleva or bird pepper[1] or, especially in its powdered form, red pepper
Cayenne pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What spice in India do you have like this?:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I cropped and enlarge your pix. it does not look like there is any feces in the droppings...which means something slowed down digestion or he/she is not eating. The urates are discolored. it can be as simple as a sign of dehydration to an infection going on. The urates (white part) do not look good at all. They are flat and chalky looking which can be a sign that something is going on with the kidenys...and if hydration and this is not corrected this can contribute to renal failure.

Even if you do not have an avian vet, you can call around to other vets to see if the labs they work with process avian specimans and samples...such as cultures. Also if the bird needs hydration a regular vet should be able to do this by Sub-Q with Ringers or Normosol. The important thing is to get sluids into the bird and get back better kidney function and the GI tract moving.

What is the current diet? If fed alot of foods with protiens cut back on those. Sometime that will help with the kidneys is to put some cranberry juice in the water. If you can find frozen cranberries thaw some, and if the bird like fruit let it eat a couple.

Attachments

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle
'Chili powder' is typically a combination of several peppers, usually including Cayenne- but is sometimes cayenne by itself.

Most hot peppers in general are viewed as very good for birds- their spices are natural antibiotics, and birds lack the ability to taste capsaicin, chemical which we taste as 'burning' spice.

Be very careful to look at the ingredients of what you buy- some of the red pepper or cayenne mixes have salt added; salt can definitely increase dehydration and will act as a toxin in higher concentrations.

Give me a moment, and I'll ask one of my friends who's from Delhi what they call cayenne.
[Edit: He says 'lal mirch' is the what you'd see Cayenne under. No idea if that's just the word for it- hope it helps.]

Last edited:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
'Chili powder' is typically a combination of several peppers, usually including Cayenne- but is sometimes cayenne by itself.

Most hot peppers in general are viewed as very good for birds- their spices are natural antibiotics, and birds lack the ability to taste capsaicin, chemical which we taste as 'burning' spice.

Be very careful to look at the ingredients of what you buy- some of the red pepper or cayenne mixes have salt added; salt can definitely increase dehydration and will act as a toxin in higher concentrations.

Give me a moment, and I'll ask one of my friends who's from Delhi what they call cayenne.
[Edit: He says 'lal mirch' is the what you'd see Cayenne under. No idea if that's just the word for it- hope it helps.]
Lal mirch is red chillies( lal=red, mirch=chilli)
i have some dried red chillies i can ground them if that can help?

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
I cropped and enlarge your pix. it does not look like there is any feces in the droppings...which means something slowed down digestion or he/she is not eating. The urates are discolored. it can be as simple as a sign of dehydration to an infection going on. The urates (white part) do not look good at all. They are flat and chalky looking which can be a sign that something is going on with the kidenys...and if hydration and this is not corrected this can contribute to renal failure.

Even if you do not have an avian vet, you can call around to other vets to see if the labs they work with process avian specimans and samples...such as cultures. Also if the bird needs hydration a regular vet should be able to do this by Sub-Q with Ringers or Normosol. The important thing is to get sluids into the bird and get back better kidney function and the GI tract moving.

What is the current diet? If fed alot of foods with protiens cut back on those. Sometime that will help with the kidneys is to put some cranberry juice in the water. If you can find frozen cranberries thaw some, and if the bird like fruit let it eat a couple.
They get pellets, fresh fruits and veggies, corn, small amount of seed(not everyday) millet as treats birdie bread and sprouts (whenever i can manage to sprout)
Fruits they get - banana, apple, guavava, pear(depending on what i have)
veggies - Bottle gourd(chotu gets this everyday almost, its her fav.), boiled potatoes, peas again depending on what i have

Anything i should avoid or add??
they don't get any kind of supplemet
i friend of mine sent me one though
its ANIMA STRATH - herbal yeast food supplement
Haven't yet given them because i wasn't sure abt the dosage
i have no idea what food are protien rich and which aren't

most important quetion - how do i get her to drink water??
its 9.30 pm here and i'm about to put them to bed will offer her water before that.
i'm really worried now
Pls pls pls pray for my Mitthu thats its nothing serious
i wouldn't know if it is!!:(
and th others vets here i don't trust them at all but will call them in the morning anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.