• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yellow headed Amazon smell infection?

Amazon

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum but have kept parrots for a while but I’m looking for advice and maybe a second opinion.

here’s the story: I purchased a yellow headed Amazon from a guy who didn’t have much time for her anymore, she had this really foul smell coming from her which we thought some showers might help. Once we realised it wasn’t helping we booked her in with a vet who confirmed there was a smell coming from her crop and a swab was taken and I paid ALOT of money for it to be examined for yeast and general infection. The results came back negative for yeast but there was an infection present - I was given a course of anti biotic which I had to give her 2 times a day for 10 days after that the smell was still there so I booked another appointment and W as given another course for 10 days! Again the smell is still there.

I have been reading up online and have seen a lot of people saying Amazon have an unpleasant smell when they are nervous or stressed and I’m wondering if this could be the smell? (But then I’m unsure why the infection showed on the swab) or do I rebook with the vet knowing I’ll probably get another course of anti biotics! she is over a year old now, normal chatty very loud flies around the house so no sign of illness really (I know parrots can hide illnesses very well from flock) - diet includes fresh fruit and veg (fruit is twice a week), sprouts And tops pellets. (She only has sunflower seeds when we trick train and recall)

any advice would be really appreciated

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would get a 2nd opinion from a different vet.

I know nothing of smelly crops.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it possible that she has a slight infection but that it has nothing to do with the smell? Stressed amazons smell like dirty socks. Although everyone describes it differently. Happy amazons smell like fruit loops. She could be stressed because of medical treatment and new home. I'd go with a second opinion from a different vet. I seem to remember that some parrots will have a slight over growth of bacteria when stressed with a new home. Some vets choose to treat this and some don't. So, you would need more information from the vet before deciding to skip treatment. More information would be things like what species of bacteria were present? Was there an especially pathogenic species that was cultured or was it just an overgrowth of otherwise normal bacteria? Asking the vet about some pro-biotics might also be a good idea. I would not worry about the smell or even consider it an indicator of infection considering the species is well know to have an odor and people describe the smell differently. Some people just think amazons stink. Also, make sure to weigh her every day in the morning before she eats using a gram scale. Get a few days worth of weight data from her so you know her normal and then watch to make sure she doesn't start losing weight for no good reason. The vet should have weighed her at the office, so you should have a general idea of what she weighed as of her first check up.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pionus have a similar smell and when it changed for My Maxis they generally were sick but when they get excited or stressed it's really noticeable. Nerd smelled like old oranges, but when he was sick he smelled like musty wheat.
Your bird might be just fine but I agree, get another opinion just in case.

Amazon

Checking out the neighborhood
Is it possible that she has a slight infection but that it has nothing to do with the smell? Stressed amazons smell like dirty socks. Although everyone describes it differently. Happy amazons smell like fruit loops. She could be stressed because of medical treatment and new home. I'd go with a second opinion from a different vet. I seem to remember that some parrots will have a slight over growth of bacteria when stressed with a new home. Some vets choose to treat this and some don't. So, you would need more information from the vet before deciding to skip treatment. More information would be things like what species of bacteria were present? Was there an especially pathogenic species that was cultured or was it just an overgrowth of otherwise normal bacteria? Asking the vet about some pro-biotics might also be a good idea. I would not worry about the smell or even consider it an indicator of infection considering the species is well know to have an odor and people describe the smell differently. Some people just think amazons stink. Also, make sure to weigh her every day in the morning before she eats using a gram scale. Get a few days worth of weight data from her so you know her normal and then watch to make sure she doesn't start losing weight for no good reason. The vet should have weighed her at the office, so you should have a general idea of what she weighed as of her first check up.
Thanks for everyone's advice - I totally agree i think she may (or may have) had an infection but i think the smell isn't to do with the infection - i'll try to book her in with another vet and see what they say :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I 100% agree with Melissa. My son has forever told me that our amazon smells... my amazon also does not like my son. ;)

When he is unhappy I say he smells like feet, our happy amazon smells like flowers ( which is good because I'm not fond of fruit loops ).
Happy or not my son still insists he smells bad and that it is a quite heavy smell to him.