• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

yellow faeces in my cockatiel's poop

sayu1920

Moving in
Real Name
Sonam
Hello, I got Mio a month ago and she has been pretty well and healthy. She loves to try new food and vegetables (capsicum, beans, carrots, spinach, coriander, corn, peas, etc) are her favourites. However, I noticed that my baby cockatiel Mio (approx 7 months) has yellow/mustard yellow faeces in her poop since morning today. Her urates are normal chalky white, her urine is also clear, the shape and consistency of the poop also looks normal however it worries me that the color of her faeces is yellow in color. Apart from the color change in her faeces, her behaviour is normal like everyday. She's been eating well but she's been drinking really less since morning. I gave her carrot which changed the colour of her poop to orange for a while but it changed back to yellow later. I have fed her sprouts, coriander, carrots today and she had her normal seed mix. Yesterday she had spinach and her normal seed mix so I don't think her diet has brought any change in her poop. I tried to feed her water but she bit me really hard (till I literally bled) because she's not used to the hand yet.

I have been reading all day about yellow faeces in poop and the internet has given me the scare of my life as it claims it could be chlamydiosis or liver disease. I do not believe it could be chlamydiosis as I have a whole cockatiel family for the last 3 years and their health is great. I also don't want to believe it it is liver disease as I have been trying my best to give her and all of bird family the best I can. I am hoping it's just some normal change and her poop returns to normal tomorrow.

Mio has eaten the same things as they had but Mio is the only one who has yellow poop. I consulted an online vet and he told me to wait for 24 hours if there is any other sign of illness arises. I plan on taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning in case her poop doesn't return to normal no matter she has any other issues or not. However, I want to know if other people have faced similar situation as me and what did they do before visiting the vet.

In summary, her behaviour is normal, eating is also normal, her health on top looks fine however she's not drinking water properly and her poop's faeces are yellow.
I'd really appreciate all the help I can get regarding this situation. I have also attached the photos of her poop with a difference of 3 hours.

Thank you.
Sayu
Mum of Chibi, Cheeko, Iri, Chiro, Fi, Fu, Ari & Mio.

Photos:
IMG_2926.jpg IMG_2934.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If she's eating a lot of moist foods then you may not see her drink a lot - that's normal :)

Usually it's the urates or urine that would indicate liver problems, not the feces.

sayu1920

Moving in
Real Name
Sonam
If she's eating a lot of moist foods then you may not see her drink a lot - that's normal :)

Usually it's the urates or urine that would indicate liver problems, not the feces.
Yes thank you so much for your reply. That is what I am very assured of that her urates are normal but I have been wondering why her faeces changed to yellow since she did not even eat anything yellowish, and none of my cockatiels' have ever faced this issue in the last 3 years so I got really worried. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Any yellow toys in the cage?

sayu1920

Moving in
Real Name
Sonam
Any yellow toys in the cage?
Some beads of her toys are yellow and she's been biting off the perch toy she sits on everyday. I have given them them dry Indian lilac (Neem Tree) branches to perch on and Mio have been peeling it off since the last two days.