• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Yellow Crowned Night Herons

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So in addition to my luck with the pair of Black Vultures yesterday I also had a magical experience with a flock of 4 Yellow Crowned Night Herons.

I was at the park that the Red Shouldered Hawks reside in and was on the look out for them. I checked the section of marsh that the female hangs out at a lot and didn't see her but I did see 4 Herons. Now admittedly I first thought they were juvenile Great Blue Herons since they were quite short and seemed younger because of that but they did seem a little odd looking but I've photographed adult Blues there multiple times but had never seen any other species.

It was actually @Mizzely Who figured out what species they were I sent her pics since I know she adores GBH and she was able to discover their proper species which was awesome since its a species I've never seen in person so that made it extra special.

I was thrilled to find these guys hunting in the marsh and with 4 I had quite a few subjects to get shots of. Unfortunately nothing was caught as I was watching but still it was a magical experience and so fun to watch them interacting with the environment.

Here's a few of my favorite shots it was quite tricky to get the camera to focus on them and not the vegetation... cause that's absolutely what I want and not the living breathing birds *eye roll*

I'm quite pleased with the last shot having gotten the Nictitating membrane!
DSC00488(1).jpg GBH babe .jpg DSC00543.jpg DSC00564.jpg DSC00638.jpg GBH babe (1).jpg DSC00728.jpg GBH babe (2).jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh wow I love them!!! Never heard of them before, they are absolutely lovely. Thank you for sharing.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow I love them!!! Never heard of them before, they are absolutely lovely. Thank you for sharing.
You're so welcome! Apparently they are fairly uncommon around here so it was definitely a special experience for sure.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Awesome photos!!