• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Yeast Infection Cockatiel Help! (Sad Update #15)

NotKayli

Moving in
hello first time on the forum but i use it to get opinions on bird things big n small but unfortunately today my heart is breaking.
yesterday night he seemed really cold it’s been uncomfortable in our home due to a number of things & we’ve been doing what we can & thankfully tomorrow we’ll be moving into a new home that will be better for everyone involved anyway so i tried my best to keep him warm till i was falling asleep myself
this morning he wasn’t doing any better eyes closed all morning, no squeaks, again originally thinking he was cold attempted to keep him warm then we gave him his food & he wouldn’t touch it he’s almost always hungry & i started to worry. then he started to run (doesn’t have his flight feathers in yet) into the kitchen towards the sink since he knows there’s water there took a few sips & puked it back up as a clear thick liquid. then i was scared & called my avian vet & scheduled him an appointment for earlier today in the meantime he was extremely lethargic stayed in one place damn near the entire time with eyes closed.
vet checked him out but did not run a single test, “assumes” based off his symptoms that’s what it is. is this normal? didn’t write his diagnosis on any kind of paper work, i was given nystatin & syringes with z e r o directions on how to administer it besides make sure it’s on an empty stomach. im worried since we didn’t run a culture/swab test that we’re treating the wrong thing & i don’t want to waste any time. also was told that she’s not worried about him losing weight over the next couple days even though he’s a young bird not even a year since his hatch date yet. i want to hope that’s what it is & his medicine will work but im just having a lot of anxiety about it. any info will help, or anything i can change in his diet to help the process. thank you so much.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Vet should have given dosage on gram weight ! Can you do a phone consult with another vet? Usually a yeast infection will make them vomit, try soft foods, keep him hydrated and as warm as you can.. Im trying to find a scale on gram/ med weight..if I find it, I'll post it, but I'm not a vet, this will be a guide, you need the gram weight and the dosage to ask another vet....

NotKayli

Moving in
Vet should have given dosage on gram weight ! Can you do a phone consult with another vet? Usually a yeast infection will make them vomit, try soft foods, keep him hydrated and as warm as you can.. Im trying to find a scale on gram/ med weight..if I find it, I'll post it, but I'm not a vet, this will be a guide, you need the gram weight and the dosage to ask another vet....
im sorry my fault i guess it wasn’t zero information it does say .25 every 8 hours i meant more so the safe way to hold him & how to actually get him to take his medicine ive never had any of my babies get sick & he wasn’t a huge fan of a syringe in his face i looked up how to hold him eventually got him to take it little by little. i finished that around four p.m. trying to keep him warm & let him rest but if it says every eight hours i should be giving him his next dose at midnight which of course ill do im just scared to mess with him too much he’s been sitting still eyes closed still all night hasn’t made a single noise.. :(

NotKayli

Moving in
im sorry my fault i guess it wasn’t zero information it does say .25 every 8 hours i meant more so the safe way to hold him & how to actually get him to take his medicine ive never had any of my babies get sick & he wasn’t a huge fan of a syringe in his face i looked up how to hold him eventually got him to take it little by little. i finished that around four p.m. trying to keep him warm & let him rest but if it says every eight hours i should be giving him his next dose at midnight which of course ill do im just scared to mess with him too much he’s been sitting still eyes closed still all night hasn’t made a single noise.. :(
but thank you so much i will try soft foods i wish he would eat anything but hoping he’ll feel at least any better tomorrow, he isn’t rushing for water every ten minutes now like he was this morning so hopefully he can at least try to hold something down soon

NotKayli

Moving in
this morning still the same he’s just sitting in his cage didn’t care when i opened it (always runs out) & he seems weak when he moves but he’s a strong boy going to give him his meds in 45 mins & hope for the best

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Perhaps you need a different vet. One that is more thorough. Don't forget that you can ask for any test you want to ask for and then let the Dr. talk you out of it ( or agree) if he wants to. Vets, like Dr.s aren't all knowing and unapproachable.

Keep giving the Nystatin - it is most common for gastric fungal infections.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
If no tests were done what if it’s bacterial needing antibiotics? Did they do a gram stain?

NotKayli

Moving in
If no tests were done what if it’s bacterial needing antibiotics? Did they do a gram stain?
no they didn’t do any kind of test on him, again something like that is what im worried about i know we don’t have much time to waste treating the wrong thing ill be upset but he did manage to take one sip of water so far & didn’t throw up just gave him his medicine for the morning. laid millet in the bottom of his cage (not his normal diet just want him to eat anything) just so he doesn’t have to move very much if he’s hungry.

NotKayli

Moving in
Perhaps you need a different vet. One that is more thorough. Don't forget that you can ask for any test you want to ask for and then let the Dr. talk you out of it ( or agree) if he wants to. Vets, like Dr.s aren't all knowing and unapproachable.

Keep giving the Nystatin - it is most common for gastric fungal infections.
[/QUOTE/]
i would consider seeing a different doctor but it’s the only avian vet near me i would take him to somewhere three hours away if it comes down to it this weekend ill do anything for him i just can’t right now i work with one other person not including myself so there’s no one to cover my shift & im signing lease papers today but i will look around. i just gave him his morning dose i plan on continuing it as it’s my only hope.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
no they didn’t do any kind of test on him, again something like that is what im worried about i know we don’t have much time to waste treating the wrong thing ill be upset but he did manage to take one sip of water so far & didn’t throw up just gave him his medicine for the morning. laid millet in the bottom of his cage (not his normal diet just want him to eat anything) just so he doesn’t have to move very much if he’s hungry.
See if you can take in a fresh poop sample and get a gram stain. Save him the stress of a vet trip. If they see yeast buds then of course it’s a yeast infection. If there’s gram negative bacteria he needs antibiotics ASAP. The gram stain will provide the information to the vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you're having trouble giving the meds, there are some good youtube videos on how to give a bird medication. I think saroj12's suggestion is a really good one. And keeping millet by him is a good plan too.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your bird will be okay. I would call the vet back to discuss your options, or call a different vet.

NotKayli

Moving in
okay wanted to post an update earlier but had to go into work, he puked up his meds at 10:30am he revived his medicine at 10:30 called my vet & they’re now prescribing him another kind of med (ill put what it’s called when i get it) to give to him before the nystatin & it’s supposed to help his stomach im so scared please send good thoughts my way cross your fingers whatever i believe in my baby but i know he’s going through it. <\3

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am so sorry :(