• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yeast Crop Infection & Diet

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone,

I did some reading on pellets on the forum and saw something about Zupreem pellets (which have sugar in them) - not feeding too much sugar in the diet on top of the pellets to prevent the chance of yeast infection.

I'm now wondering if I've caused Preeno her crop infection by feeding her Zupreem pellets? I don't give her any other sources of sugar though. I cannot remember if her symptoms started right after I gave her the pellets. Also it's not confirmed that she has a crop infection (vet says her crop feels good) and that it's caused by yeast infection. :(

At the moment, the vet has advised me to continue her Nystatin treatment for an additional 5 days as she's still showing her regurgitation/coughing behaviour, then get back to her about her progress and we'll go from there.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with pellets and yeast infections. Thank you!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry your bird is sick, and I hope she gets better soon. I don’t think that pellets will cause a yeast infection. Many people feed Zupreem pellets, and it is a very respected brand even though they contain sugar. Also, I think that even though they contain sugar, it’s not like they have a crazy amount. While I think it’s good to avoid sugar if possible, if Zupreem is a pellet your bird will eat, it’s better than not eating them at all.

clarousel

I’m sorry your bird is sick, and I hope she gets better soon. I don’t think that pellets will cause a yeast infection. Many people feed Zupreem pellets, and it is a very respected brand even though they contain sugar. Also, I think that even though they contain sugar, it’s not like they have a crazy amount. While I think it’s good to avoid sugar if possible, if Zupreem is a pellet your bird will eat, it’s better than not eating them at all.
Thanks @Tiel Feathers! She's more active and alert but somehow still doing the regurgitation so fingers crossed she'll get better/the cause will be identified.

It just suddenly occured to me when I read a post here. I'll experiment with other pellet brands once I get some funds but for now, like you said, at least she's getting some good stuff from it!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
While there is a small amount of sugar in Zupreem, I've fed it to 5 birds over 8 years and never had a crop infection.

Mantis64

That's great to know. Thanks for the reassurance! :)
Yep but your budgie is a smaller bird so needs less sugar than larger birds. @Mizzely have you fed these pellets to any bird similar in size to a budgie.

Reactions: Ali

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep but your budgie is a smaller bird so needs less sugar than larger birds. @Mizzely have you fed these pellets to any bird similar in size to a budgie.
A budgie also eats less than a larger bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does a 54gram green cheek suffice?

All birds eat 10 to 20% of their body weight so the size of the bird shouldn't matter.

clarousel

I feed Preeno some quinoa (literally around 5 seeds or as much as her attention span would allow) and seeds daily too. I also offer her salad leaves and sprouts which she'll nibble tiny bits off, can't say she eats much of those.

I guess majority of her diet is still pellets... not sure if I should be concerned?

Mantis64

Do you feed seed I believe budgies require seed in thier diet.

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
Can I say something? Prenno is adorable!!!!!! Did I already say that? Oh well :lol:
I know that many members here feed their birds zupreem. I think @Kiwi's Mom feeds it to her two budgies, in fact! Personally, I feed Kaytee, but am planning to switch to zupreem and harrison's mix. I am also quite sure that Kiwi and Blizzard have never gotten sick from eating their pellets, sooooo

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can I say something? Prenno is adorable!!!!!! Did I already say that? Oh well :lol:
I know that many members here feed their birds zupreem. I think @Kiwi's Mom feeds it to her two budgies, in fact! Personally, I feed Kaytee, but am planning to switch to zupreem and harrison's mix. I am also quite sure that Kiwi and Blizzard have never gotten sick from eating their pellets, sooooo
That have never gotten sick from their pellets, they're currently on fruit blend, but I plan to switch them to natural (no artificial dyes)

I give them their seed when they come out of the cage everyday (makes out of cage time fun)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I feed Preeno some quinoa (literally around 5 seeds or as much as her attention span would allow)
Make sure it's not uncooked or unsprouted, plain dehydrated quinoa expands in a birds crop and can cause impaction.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'll experiment with other pellet brands once I get some funds but for now, like you said, at least she's getting some good stuff from it!
This is helpful ;)

clarousel

Make sure it's not uncooked or unsprouted, plain dehydrated quinoa expands in a birds crop and can cause impaction.
Yes! I only give it to her cooked cause somehow I can't get them to sprout...

Thanks everyone for your knowledge!!! :')

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes! I only give it to her cooked cause somehow I can't get them to sprout...

Thanks everyone for your knowledge!!! :')
I give it to mine cooked too, they usually get it when we have black bean soup and have leftover quinoa.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you have links for this information? I’ve never heard this before and I’m interested in finding out more.