• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

X Fingers Crossed X, got an egg :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I wish I could be there to help too.

So wow...they're popping more eggs out? Whats going on? Are we sure that some are fertile? I'm a worry-wart! Maybe I wouldn't be any help even if I was there :rolleyes: So why would you need to incubate them? Because the hens' hinies aren't big enough to sit on them all?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I would have to incubate some because as the babies hatch the pairs are not as diligent as to incubating the remainding eggs. Plus the eggs would get soiled or damaged from the chicks that already hatched. If they are viable, they have a better chance being incubated.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Well that makes perfect sense!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I just went out to feed the mousers some breakfast. Ruby looked like she was feeding a baby and I thought I heard some little cheeping sounds. Right now their sitting tight. Once I know for sure I'll post with hopefully a pix :)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:laughing12::laughing12::laughing12:
Can't wait to see what is going on!:dance4::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:omg::omg::omg: oh wow..the moment has finally arrived!!!:dancing::laughing12: I am so excited!!!:dance4:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I hope Ruby WAS feeding a baby chick! I've been following this thread, so exciting!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
:confused:Yikes!...I don't know if there is a baby or not. I took a shot of the nest from 2 angles, and there are 5 eggs, whereas yesterday there was 6. I blew up the pix's to see better, and if there is a baby it has to be hidden under a feather or bedding. I could not find any shells, if a baby hatched, and I looked all over the cage. :eek: I didn't want to go reaching and moving things in the nest. Puzzeled in Ft. Lauderdale :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Can't you shoo them off and look real good? What if he fell out or is wedged somewhere.:eek:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
& the drama continues! We'll be patient! Maybe just let the parents do their thing?

I DUNNO! :shrug:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Can't you shoo them off and look real good? What if he fell out or is wedged somewhere.:eek:
------------------------------

I shooed them off, and took the pix's. I didn't want to go messing in the nest too much. I searched the entire bottom of the cage for shells or a little one if it got caught on a parents foot as they rushed off the nest...Nothing :(

I'll wait a little bit, and look again. I have to be in the area where their at to do the food for the other birds, so I'll see what they are doing.

When I blow up this pix it looks like a wing behind the farthest egg...but I don't think so, cause it should be bigger.

Attachments

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
:chin:Oh chickie, chickie, chickieee???

Do you think it would be peeping if it was in there? Still...the question of the missing 6th eggie, right???

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Missi...the peeping sound could've been the sound of a piping egg.

I went out and looked all around the cage, and the inside of the bottom of the cage...no eggshell. The mousers are looking at me like I'm crazy :(

To divert myself I went out and looked at the tiels, which have babies in the nest. Found one little 3-4 day old one chilled, warmed it up, fed it and fostered it to another pair with a smaller clutch.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I still don't know if there is a baby yet.

When I went out to top off food so that they had some for the early AM, it looked like one mouser was nibbling on a portion of a shell. You can see it front and center in the bedding. And the male sure gave me the evil eye.

I could kick myself because earlier today I should have candled all the eggs. Hopefully better news in the AM.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Those are some awesome shots Susanne!:highfive: Where do you think the baby is, if there is one?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I'll be up early tomorrow to see if they have a baby.

I tried to phone Kateri to see if they eat the eggshells after a chick hatches, but she wasn't in.

I ordered the legbands today. Need to have them on them for when I have the little ones sexed. That way when they are sexed I can put the pink or blue plastic bands on to see what they are at a glance.

The WB have 4 eggs that look good. They should start hatching by the end of the week. Hopefully there'll be some New Years babies.

vancha

Sprinting down the street
I'm sure you already know this, Susanne, but I wanted to say that because a lot of birds do eat the eggshell after a chick has hatched, including cockatiels, I'd bet it isn't beyond mousebirds to do the same... Eggshells, after all, are a great source of calcium. From what I can tell of the picture, there might be a bit of a chick visible? There has to be a logical explanation for this! I'm hoping you see that they have a baby in the AM.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
. From what I can tell of the picture, there might be a bit of a chick visible?
-------------------------------------------------------------

I thought so at first too, and then I blew up the pix with the magnifier on the computer and it was the leg of the glaring mouser.

Sigh...hopefully tomorrow.

vancha

Sprinting down the street
Best wishes for you, Susanne. Mousebirds are just beautiful birds, I think you've got me hooked. You'll have to tell me what their personalities are like some time.

I'm hoping for a little baby tomorrow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.