• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

X Fingers Crossed X, got an egg :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Love the Spanish moss in the cage....and that tree is great!
Don't think mailing a tree up here would be too good right now...temps are in the teen's today...:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Carole brought me down some Spanish moss when she came down for Gryphon :)

I just noticed that the other female in the cage looks a little pouchy in the abdomen, so I put more moss in the other nest. Hopefully now the first pair won't go over and toss the bedding again...grrr...LOL

Last year theyt BN were laying but no-way would they use the basket nest or any other types of nest that the whote-backed would use. So I found some hanging platforms and used some wire to attach to them to hold the bedding, and this trip to Home Depot found some sheet moss to line the nest. The last pix shows Plan B, the widower, whom I might try as an experimental foster egg sitter if needed, and foster parents. I've learned, like any species the males love eggs and babies :)

Attachments

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Don't think mailing a tree up here would be too good right now...temps are in the teen's today...:hug8:
------------------------------------------

Today it is in the 70's, but is overcast and dizzly...YUK! Good for the tiels though, cause their hatching eggs and the humidity was needed.

This place: www.TopTropicals.com - rare plants for home and garden sells seeds and plants. I have it at the pigeon peas in the link because when the SS check comes in the end of the month we may go up there and look at and buy several plants/seeds for growing for mousers. The pigeon peas have alot of nutrients, and have good protein plus loaded with amino acids. Since the BN won't eat mealworns, I'm going to try these as plan B. I found some at the grocery store and they ate them. And in reading ALL parts of the plant are edible.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I'm not sure what is going on. A male was over tearing up the bedding in the other nest. He grabbed some and took it to the other nest. But, there was another mousebird next to the hen. I can't see the bands (females have pink) to see if it is the other hen with her. Mousers will share nests. And in a colony situation all the singles (have 2 females and 4 males) act as helpers to sit on eggs, feed babies, or if it gets cold others will pile in the nest to cover the parents and keep them warm. Last year I had 3 white-backed mousebirds stacked on top of each other, with babies under the bottom bird!

Oh...what a Peyton Place...LOL

Oh...Carole... the last pix is the pinch on the thigh that that Bratty Gander, Dot did while I was on the phone to you :(

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh...what a Peyton Place...LOL

Oh...Carole... the last pix is the pinch on the thigh that that Bratty Gander, Dot did while I was on the phone to you :(
:rofl::rofl:Sorry..the peyton place part made me laugh...ok..no..:embarassed:...really it was the gander. He hates my voice!!!:hehe:
This is so interesting!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
My fingers and toes are crossed.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
How exciting! This already is just a amazing thread. Can't wait to see what happens. :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
ok..no..:embarassed:...really it was the gander. He hates my voice!!!:hehe:
---------------------------------------------

He's ususally such a chicken. But when I was on the phone he did a sneak attack....twice! I know their ears are good, so he must've heard you...LOL Kirby said if he did that to him he would be a Christmas Goose :( I raised him from a tiny goosling :( ...bad Dot.

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
How exciting! This already is just a amazing thread. Can't wait to see what happens. :)
-------------------------------

Thanks Susan :) I don't have 'textbook' pairs, so it will be interesting. By the book you are supposed to stay away from them, and give them as much privacy as possible. From raising cockatiels I learned that that can be bad because then you don't know there is a problem til it is too late. So I have conditioned all my mousers to be used to changes, and lots of movement around them, with hopes that they will be more stable parents. It worked very well when the white-backed first went to nest, and I was able to do daily pix's of the babies from hatch to fledging. (a no-no, according to the book and other mousebird breeders) I'm curious to see blue-naped babies, because according to the books their beaks are strange looking upon hatch, and I'm guessing the chick growth is very fast like the white-backed babies were.

So this thread will be the Unoffical way to breed mousebirds...LOL

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
:omg::omg::omg: I just pm'ed you regarding their progress THEN I saw this thread for the first time....I think it is meant to be ;)

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
P.S. Yes, Carole, I have changed my mind! LOL I can't keep these little cuties out of my daily thoughts! :heart:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I swear...once an egg hatches, I'm going out & buying a flight cage! :dancing:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
:omg::omg::omg: I just pm'ed you regarding their progress THEN I saw this thread for the first time....I think it is meant to be ;)
-----------------------------------------------------

Yes...they really surprised me with going to nest and an egg so soon. Hopefully later today another egg :)

I will keep you posted.

Carole will have to start a thread of her 'Day with a Mousebird' That Gryphon has her wrapped around his big toe...LOL

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi

Yes...they really surprised me with going to nest and an egg so soon. Hopefully later today another egg :)

I will keep you posted.
:dancing::highfive::laughing12:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
ok..no..:embarassed:...really it was the gander. He hates my voice!!!:hehe:
---------------------------------------------

He's ususally such a chicken. But when I was on the phone he did a sneak attack....twice! I know their ears are good, so he must've heard you...LOL Kirby said if he did that to him he would be a Christmas Goose :( I raised him from a tiny goosling :( ...bad Dot.
LOL!!! Aww..he would not eat him..:rofl:
I was thinking of you yesterday as I rounded a corner in my neighborhood. There is a fenced/gated area across from this guy's house...on an inlet part of the lake. It is an access for the county. The guy who lives across the street puts food out. There is a big flock of wild mallards that live with a big grey goose like yours. I will try to get a pic of them and post it.:)

So this thread will be the Unoffical way to breed mousebirds...LOL
:laughing12::dancing:

P.S. Yes, Carole, I have changed my mind! LOL I can't keep these little cuties out of my daily thoughts! :heart:
I swear...once an egg hatches, I'm going out & buying a flight cage! :dancing:
Hahaha..I know, once that MBS hits, it's impossible to shake it sometimes.:lol:I am so happy.:D We can compare mouse stories!:dance4: You can call yours Mickey, and we'll have a Mickey Mousebird Club!!!:hehe:

I will keep you posted.

Carole will have to start a thread of her 'Day with a Mousebird' That Gryphon has her wrapped around his big toe...LOL
Hehehe..he is just so cool Susanne..how could you not fall in love with a bird that wants to be with you all the time. And calls that mournful pitiful cry for your attention.:heart: He is just so adorable. I can reach in and take him gently to me, and he will just cling to me. Until I go in the kitchen or my office. Then he is all over and back to me. He loves to chew on my fish shaped calculator. I showed Troy the other day, and he did it then too. He has to open his mouth real wide to get a bite on it. It's rubbery and kind of squishy. It's hilarious.:p

Any more eggs yet???

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you people are all nuts!!!!!!! and wonderful..:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Hmmmm:confused:...something is going on in the Mousebird 'Peyton Place' The dark pink banded hen, Ruby has been the hen that layed the first egg. Pinks (light pink banded hen) has also looked pouchy in the abdomen. At 9:25AM there were 2 eggs, and Pinks was wanting in the nest.

I just went out, because I'm waiting for a letup in the rain to feed the tiels, and I saw an egg behind a mouser (couldn't see the band to know if it was a male or female. But, a 1/2 hour before there was a mouser on the nest acting strange...wings spread and panting heavily. I should have stayed to watch because it might have been Pinks ready to lay. And Ruby has the big belly, so if this afternoon there is another egg, it was hers. So I shooed it off to get the egg in the clutch. it was warm still, but at 12: 18AM there are 3 eggs:eek: Sooo...this will be interesting to see how many eggs. If more than this I have 2 hens sharing the nest. And since there are 4 males there are plenty of helpers to feed a large clutch.

And the white-backed also have an egg! :)

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
WOOT!!!!:dancing::dancing::dancing:3 eggies!!! Congrats MOUSELADY!!:lol:
edit: correction-4 eggs!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks!...I have tiel babies in the nest, which I am ususally excited about because I should get some interesting rare colors, and I have been ignoring them and watching the mousers :(

With the tiels I have the 'possiblity' of a couple of tiels producing a 'possible' new color variation, and not even as eggcited as the mousers.

My project this afternoon is to make some fake eggs. I'll have to weigh a mouser egg for the weight so that I can pinch off and weigh the same weight clay to make the fake egg. I'd like to give the Widower a fake egg, just in case I need an extra sitter or feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.