• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

X Fingers Crossed X, got an egg :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I've been watching the BN mousers all day. The male spent the morning rearranging the nest, and even dragged a peacock downy feather to add to the nest.

Since before dark the hen has been sitting and just not willing to budge. I must've went out 20 X's to see if she got off the nest. I just checked (8PM) and there is an EGG! I'm eggcited :) So fingers crossed that they will incubate and hatch out some little mousers.

Attachments

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OH Boy!!!!!
This is going to be exciting!
Keep us posted....have they hatched a clutch before?:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Billie Faye thanks :), No they've not had babies before. They were wild caught imports and it has taken quite awhile for them to adjust. They've layed before, but had no interest in the eggs. I tried to foster to the WB (white-backed) but their eggs are solid white, and they rejected/tossed the speckled egg. This time the hen is staying close to the nest and egg. I shooed her off to see if there was one, and she went right back on it.

I think part of the problem in the past was they were wild caught and not secure with alot of movement in their environment. I spent the last several months to get used to changes and movement, and my face always peeking in the cage...thus they are more stable.

I have the Widower (single Red--faced mouser) as Plan B. He is a lounge lizard...meaning I gave him a nest and he sleeps and stays in it all the time. I'm going to make a fake egg out of Fimo (oven bake modeling clay) and give it to him. If he will sit on the fake egg I will try to have him as back-up to be a foster sitter and baby feeder.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
congrats I will look forward to reading updates. How long does it take before the eggs hatch?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks!

They should lay an egg every day. So she might lay 2-3 eggs. With the WB (whitebacks it took 10 days to hatch. Most books say about 12 days, but I feel our warm climate helps to excelerate hatch times by a day or so.

I just checked and she is still in the nest...Yay :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That is a really interesting looking egg! I've got everything crossed that it hatches. :D

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The egg is approx the size of a lovebird egg. The blue-naped eggs have maroone specles. The red-faced will have brown speckles, and the sharp eyed white-backs will be white.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so excited for you..woohoo!! I cannot wait to see and hear every moment of this process. If I know you, you will be documenting every step of the way. WTG mr & mrs mouse!:highfive:
I think bringing them in and giving them more privacy might have spurred them to start. How wonderful! I call dibs, first girl:lol:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: Look at that eggy!!! :heart: oooh I hope all goes well!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wowwwwwwwwwwI sure hope it hatches..how exciting..they certainly are wonderful birds.....

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Have you peeked yet to see if there are more?:knockknock::dance1:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks all :)

We have alot of early birds this morning. I got up at 6 to put on the coffee. I went out to check on the mousers, and got out there in time to see the shift change on the nest. I keep the digital camera nearby for any 'Kodac moments' so got pix's (post later today) of Daddy mouser climbing up to the nest, getting in and changing places, with him fusing with the nesting material. Hopefully later this afternoon there should be another egg.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I went out to check on the mousers, and got out there in time to see the shift change on the nest. I keep the digital camera nearby for any 'Kodac moments' so got pix's (post later today) of Daddy mouser climbing up to the nest, getting in and changing places, with him fusing with the nesting material. Hopefully later this afternoon there should be another egg.
OOhh..how exciting!!!:laughing12::)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Oops!...I had to run back out and put some banana out. Momma bird would be hungry.

Here is some morning pix's. The first is Daddy bird coming to relieve Momma from the nest. He got in next to her (look close and can see 2 tails) Then he fussed with the bedding, and she went down to eat. I missed the shift change when she went back to the nest. She climbed on him with her wings out as he got off the egg, and the last pix is her back on her eggie :)

This pair must be the dominant pair in the group. I had another hanging nest setup, and the male tossed the bedding (twice) from it. Now that this pair has layed I will fix up the 2nd nest, and hopefully the other pair will go to nest too.

Later today I'll post a pix of the cage and what I'm using for nests.

Hopefully the WB (white backed) group will go to nest soon. They are a prolific group.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh my goodness, they look like little angels! Pic# 1 &3:heart::heart:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I am glad they are so calm with my face looking in at them all day long :) They'll change places several times a day. When she is on the nest, and if she gets hungry, she will call him to bring her some food to feed her. The Noni leaf is close enough...so maybe they may nibble on it while on the nest.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OH Love the pictures!
So she lays everyday????
The Noni leaves....do you get the fruit? I understand the fruit is good for birds also....

NONI (Morinda Citrifolia) -- Noni fruit is a natural food remedy useful as a preventive of bird problems. Tropical fruit is a mainstay of the diet of many wild parrot species. Fruits supply the quick energy necessary for flight and other vigorous activities of birds, as well as trace nutrients that maintain health. Noni is a tropical fruit that is unknown to many birdkeepers even though it has been used for over 2,000 years as a preventive and healing herb by the people of the South Pacific. Noni fruit grows on the Morinda Citrifolia tree, indigenous to areas of Malaysia, Australia and Polynesia. Native to Southeast Asia, it grows from India to the Eastern region of Polynesia.
Morinda Citrifolia is a small evergreen tree of the Genus Rubiaceae and it is known by various names, depending on its location. In Hawaii, it is referred to as the Noni tree; in India, it is called Indian Mulberry tree; and in Tahiti, it is called the Nono tree. In various other regions, it is referred to as the painkiller tree, the headache tree and other names indicative of its medicinal uses. Although most parts of the tree have medicinal value, it is the noni fruit that is considered most valuable as a healing agent.
The noni fruit is fleshy and resembles breadfruit. It has a lumpy surface covered by polygonal-shaped sections. It resembles a small, lumpy potato. The fruit tastes bitter and has a distinctly unpleasant odor. Ancient Polynesian healers used the noni fruit and other parts of the Morinda Citrifolia tree to treat ailments such as arthritis, candida, coughs and colds, fevers, hypertension, infections, parasites, and skin problems. Ongoing scientific research at the University of Hawaii, the University of Illinois and other research centers has confirmed the value of this ancient remedy. Noni fruit contains phytonutrients, selenium, and "xeronine" as well as its precursor, "proxeronine". Xeronine is an alkaloid that helps to repair damaged cells by regulating the particular proteins comprising those cells. Although noni contains only small amounts of xeronine, the content of its precursor, proxeronine, is considered important to the healing effects of noni juice. The phytonutrients in noni prevent and correct damage caused by chemical pollutants in the air, water and food supply. Selenium is a well-known antioxidant considered responsible for some of the healing properties of noni fruit.
Taken from:
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician XIV - A Few Ounces Of Prevention
Haven't seen any up north to use it....:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Haven't seen any up north to use it....:hug8:
-------------------------------------

You can find the plants on Ebay...Nipa Huts has nice healthy ones. They can be potted in a big pot and kept indoors, or in a mild climate, outdoors. My vet gave me a small plant. He had told me that all birds will eat the leaves. So when I brought my mousers back inside I put my Noni plant in the cage. I didn't realize that they would munch on it. So I'll take some cutting from it to start a few more plants before they eat it all up.

It was just starting to fruit prior to putting it in the cage :(

I've never given the Noni fruit, but another breeding friend has a huge tree, and I'll ask her for some leaves and for fruit once available to try on all the birds.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.