• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would you?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello, I’ve been thinking about moving my bunnies to the bird room. They don’t really have a good space of their own ( in the dining room now. Or what would be a dining room if we had a table)

The bird room has 2 air filters running all the time.

What do you think?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would say as long as the birds don't hang out on the floor usually (mammal saliva, etc), and they don't drop anything that your buns could get sick from if they ate it, it would be fine! My mother in law has a bunny and he lives in the same room as her birds and they all seem to be just fine!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know a woman who keeps three bunnies in her bird room. She has the floor sectioned off though so the bunnies are on one side of the room and the birds on the other.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Well, I had guinea pigs and a parrotlet living in the same room! They were fine, and totally didn't care about each other. Except sometimes the bird would fly over and perch on the cage. The guinea pigs actually liked her though, and they had this cage with really tall sides but no roof. So, when I went away, and a family member was taking care of them, she would actually crawl into their cage whenever she was let out of her cage, and she would go eat breakfast (fresh veggies) with them! She would also kiss them on the nose....Super sweet, but probably a terrible, unsafe, and/or unhealthy idea! But again, I wasn't there, so I didn't find out about this until I got back!
Bunnies in the bird room should be fine, but I just want to warn you about two things:
1. The bunnies might be scared of the noise from any shrieking parrots you might have (or maybe they are accustomed to it - I don't know, but you might want to think about it)
2. People will sometimes put bunnies/guinea pigs into their aviaries to stop their birds from breeding. I think the birds think that the animals are a bit of a threat, so they don't think it is safe to breed. if you a breeding your birds/currently have baby birds I wouldn't recommend it.

Apart from that though, you should be fine! :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My buns are across the room from my birds. I'd not keep them in close proximity as the buns will eat any spilled seeds & possibly hulls.

Also buns are really active midnight to 2:00 or 3:00 a.m., so much so that many breeders put males & females together overnight. I think that this was the cause of some night frights before I installed a night light.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You guys are so helpful! Thank you! :loveshower:
It’s good to know others have done this successfully. It’s good that someone else thought about them eating hulls already. That was a concern.

So is the night fright issue though-/ my buns are LOUD at night.

I’ll keep thinking on it.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My avian vet has actually purchased rabbits from me! I have too many rabbits and birds for them not to each have their own rooms/buildings but my avian vet houses her rabbits and birds together in one room. The main consideration is temperature. Rabbits do much better in cooler temps than they do in warmer ones. 80 degrees is too warm for a bunny, imho, so I would not house them with birds that need the extra warm temps. But if you have a cool tile or linoleum floor for the bunnies to rest on, and provide ventilation, it should be okay to have the room 72-74.
Dusty bird species are about as much work as all the dusty hay that rabbits need to eat so in that aspect the cleaning/maintenance of air filters might increase.
If you have long haired rabbits, bird poo can be a bit of a nightmare to clean out of wool- just a warning if the buns hang out underneath a big bomber!:D
And as long as your birds and rabbits are both healthy (fecals checked to ensure no parasite load, etc) there really isn’t a reason they cannot co-habitate.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Sparkles! thats some good information!

I live in SWFl so the room’s pretty warm. The house is about 75, the room gets closer to 80 in late afternoon.the buns do try to lay on the cool tile a lot.

More food for thought…

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@finchly

If they’re short haired buns, you can always give them a recycled frozen water bottle to help keep them cool. We like re using Gatorade bottles because they seem to hold up better to the freeze/thaw cycles.
Rabbits really expel heat through their ears. If your birds can tolerate it, having a fan on the floor that the buns can take advantage of would help them dissipate heat. And check your actual floor temps. Your thermostat might be reading 80 degrees, but if it’s mounted at face level it’s taking a face level reading which may differ from a floor surface level temp reading.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Your thermostat might be reading 80 degrees, but if it’s mounted at face level it’s taking a face level reading which may differ from a floor surface level temp reading.
Good point!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m working on planting a row of trees to shade the room

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you raised Dutch? They're my favourite. I've pet sat a Netherland dwarf (first bun I knew). Then I got a Flemish cross as my first (at the bridge), a Dutch as my second, & a Flemish as my third who came hopping across my parents' lawn (& went totally unclaimed despite extensive efforts to find the owner). I also fostered a rescue lionhead for my sister.

They're all adorable, but I think I prefer the ease of care of Dutch. Daisy is easy. The others, not so much. I can't imagine how much grooming you have to do!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve raised many Dutch. They can be a beast to exhibit at shows because those classic markings have to be pretty perfect! One of my favorite Dutch rabbits was a chinchilla (that’s a color variety as well as a breed of rabbit, but in this instance I’m talking about it as a color).

Yes. Extensive grooming for angora and woolies! But very rewarding.