• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would You Get One Again?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
They all would! I don't have one, but I think the pionus parronts on here are the most smitten with their species. :pinkgrin:

@Eloy @tka @zoo mom @Dartman

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I have one and I did.
My first Pionus Olivia died from internal injuries after flying into a wall when spooked. After getting the necropsy results back along with histology reports to be sure she didn't have any illnesses that contributed, I started looking for another Pi. I hot Andre 3 months after Olivia passed. I couldn't imagine not having one.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My question is, if you have a Pionus, would you get one again?
In a heartbeat! If I had space for another big cage, I already would have a second.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The same here. Lost one, and have two now.
But I'm in love with Maxi Pi´s. <3

But really I think that Q is strange.
I never get in loved with the specie that way, I got in loved with the individual.
So they can be whatever they want, it doesn't matter that much too me.
The only thing that was important to me was that they didn't scream that much and was pretty independent.
I think almost any specie can be what you want them to be. Mine are very active, and they love to do trick-training.
I'm also very active as a person, so they part be what you are.

More think about how much time you have every day for them, and what kind of life you live. And that is not for now, that is for 30 - 110 years forward depending on what specie you chose.
In the end it's always the bird that comes first. If you can't give a bird a descent normal life, better to chose another animal.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Is also learning about this, as pionus is on my list of potentials, my opinion though I dont have one, the more I learn about it the more I like it.

It seems to have a nice wellrounded and balanced personality, one of the things stearing me away from many birds are to strong traits in one or another direction, that can be fine for periods..but unless you are a person with those same traits consistantly, then it could get old after a while.

And since they live for decades they also need to fit into your future lifestyle to the best of your knowledge.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
My first two I'm sure were wild caught brothers in 78, Ferd and Nerd bird. Nerd grew up with me and was my friend till 2009 Xmas. Then my family got me Lurch who was a mad at the world and scared to death Maxi. He took a mere 5 years to trust me and decide he was happy but he got there. He escaped in 2016 and I tracked him but eventually he flew away and haven't seen him since :sad1: Mamazon offered me Dobby after knowing everything I went through getting Lurch to be a happy loving bird when she couldn't keep him any longer. He's the most outgoing, social, gentle Maxi I have ever known. Nerd trusted me completely, Lurch would bite and was grumpy but grew to love me in his own way, and he talked. Dobby will not bite, prefers to back away, and loves everyone he meets. His chosen one is my sister but I'm allowed to provide protection, walnuts, and home maintenance. He will step up for anyone who asks nicely.
They all were similar but unique souls so generally you'll get a gentle quiet bird, but that isn't a guarantee. Lurch bit a LOT till we came to a understanding with each other. Once that happened he started flying after me anytime I left the room and I learned what he was trying to ask for when he nipped me. Remember used parrots can have a lot of baggage to work through before they'll trust anyone again. Or you can end up with Dobby who has only known love and happiness his whole life. Let them go at their own pace and you'll get a lifelong loyal friend for the rest of their life.

Lilbirdapp

Moving in
Real Name
Trisha
My first two I'm sure were wild caught brothers in 78, Ferd and Nerd bird. Nerd grew up with me and was my friend till 2009 Xmas. Then my family got me Lurch who was a mad at the world and scared to death Maxi. He took a mere 5 years to trust me and decide he was happy but he got there. He escaped in 2016 and I tracked him but eventually he flew away and haven't seen him since :sad1: Mamazon offered me Dobby after knowing everything I went through getting Lurch to be a happy loving bird when she couldn't keep him any longer. He's the most outgoing, social, gentle Maxi I have ever known. Nerd trusted me completely, Lurch would bite and was grumpy but grew to love me in his own way, and he talked. Dobby will not bite, prefers to back away, and loves everyone he meets. His chosen one is my sister but I'm allowed to provide protection, walnuts, and home maintenance. He will step up for anyone who asks nicely.
They all were similar but unique souls so generally you'll get a gentle quiet bird, but that isn't a guarantee. Lurch bit a LOT till we came to a understanding with each other. Once that happened he started flying after me anytime I left the room and I learned what he was trying to ask for when he nipped me. Remember used parrots can have a lot of baggage to work through before they'll trust anyone again. Or you can end up with Dobby who has only known love and happiness his whole life. Let them go at their own pace and you'll get a lifelong loyal friend for the rest of their life.

Such a great story. Thank you for sharing

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Your welcome. They can make you earn their trust, but once you have it the journey will be worth it and you'll both be happy.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I am in my 4th week (almost 5, i think.. could be week 3?) and i tell you.. i am SMITTEN indeed!

i have two rescues, and having had rescues before i can tell you.. its a very rewarding feelig when you notice the little steps they make. Each day is a blessing becaue you know they came from a bad place, and you can give them the happy life.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Each day is a blessing becaue you know they came from a bad place, and you can give them the happy life.
Yes it is. ❤

The feeling when I was on my way home with Eliy was that now you are safe and I will never ever let anyone hurt you again is still their.
I will say that you create a different kind of bond to the one you resqued.

It's a great feeling that you did change everything for that animal and that's why we always should chose to rescue as our first option.
And that is the same with every animal.

Lilbirdapp

Moving in
Real Name
Trisha
Yes it is. ❤

The feeling when I was on my way home with Eliy was that now you are safe and I will never ever let anyone hurt you again is still their.
I will say that you create a different kind of bond to the one you resqued.

It's a great feeling that you did change everything for that animal and that's why we always should chose to rescue as our first option.
And that is the same with every animal.
I want to rescue this 3yr old Pionus so badly. hopefully it will happen

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I want all of them! There are 2 on the Dutch graigslist, i swear if i had the money i would buy them! Build a nice outdoor aviary for the summer day, grow me a nice bonded flock of Pi’s :heart:

oh well... one can always dream i suppose!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I try to keep myself to one bird as it's hard enough to keep up with the buzz saw known as Dobby. Trying to keep up with a bunch of critters and keep everyone happy and their houses clean would bury us. I will take in any bird /critter needing help and have before but I also know my limits. A nice big aviary where everyone could live and have plenty of safe space so they aren't sitting in one place would be quite different. I look at birds on Craigslist occasionally but because of costs all around, time, and proper care and feeding that's usually as far as it goes.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I think, having birds doesnt have to cost much. At least, that is what i am now learning ;-)

the last 26 years have been about cring for my parents. Thats mentally and physically very heavy, and i really need to learn to care for myself. Amongst that is eating healthy, veggies etc. And how nice... my birds can eat along!

ofcourse, i am alone so i dont have a family to provide for. I am growing a willow to make toys of etc. Lots of DIY for the next few years :D and i must admit, drying veggies and fruits means i can buy in bulk without having to throw anything away. In the end thats much cheaper then the constant buying of small packages that costs huge money.

But yah, i see what you mean ;) nothing is for free ofcourse :)