• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would You Ever Consider Cloning Your Beloved Pet?

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Ah finally my experience in writing research papers pay off...I knew this day would come. Simply put some organisms clone better than others. In plants, we have it down. No variation. In animals some factors like size, health concerns, and surprisingly athletic ability seem to be consistent. Other factors like cognitive intelligence, temperament and even looks are not consistent.

One of the main working theories is that a mammal's brain tends to do a lot of development outside of the womb. Think about a human baby. A baby could have genius gene (just an example not real) but if there isn't enough cognitive stimulation early on in that baby's development...you will see developmental delays in that child's cognitive ability.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d be more likely to try getting a semen sample from my current springer spaniel and get one of his puppies after his death. That is tried and true technology. Cloning is still a little sketchy IMO. My only issue is the yuck factor for collecting the semen. You can tell I’ve really thought about it. I want one of his puppies but don't want to live with two spaniels at the same time. A more logical approach may be to consult his pedigree and get a pup from the same lineage.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I want to thank everyone for posting. If I wasn't having such a hard time posting I would thank each of you personally. I have so enjoyed reading about your beloved animal companions as well as your perspective regarding cloning.

To those who knew more about the subjective than myself, thank you for educating me.

To those who have endured the unbearable pain of losing a special friend, I can only say that their lives were enriched by knowing you. HC, Hank left this world finally knowing the meaning of the word friend.

To those who think that cloning won't bring back the spirit of an animal, you are right. Jeff's spirit belonged to her and nobody else. She owned the rights to her own soul, and no amount of money will ever be able to buy those rights.

I have always thought that cloning was fascinating and I am thankful that they are considering it for animals who are facing imminent extinction.

Yes, I am having a very hard time with losing Jeff. This was a cat who had the unique gift of making me feel as though I was the only person in the room, the only person in her world.

If I could have found a spell to bring her back, I would not have hesitated in using it.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I am having a very hard time with losing Jeff. This was a cat who had the unique gift of making me feel as though I was the only person in the room, the only person in her world.
You did the same for her. I know it hurts, but your life is still so much better for having known her. I know you wouldn't trade any of your time together for anything, even if it was too short. :bluhug:

I have always thought that cloning was fascinating and I am thankful that they are considering it for animals who are facing imminent extinction.
For real? That would be amazing! :excited1: I had no idea there might be a practical application for cloning. That would be so cool to Jurassic Park some functionally extinct species. Wouldn't it be neat if there were flocks of Carolina parakeets again? :pinklol3:

Last edited:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I'd have to say no...the concept just doesn't sit quite right with me.

Same here! My Bella was my first feathered friend and I love and miss her so, so much. I have so many sweet memories of her. But, I just think that when losing a beloved animal companion, I would rather open up my heart and home to another animal looking for a home, rather than trying to recreate my lost loved one. In Bella’s case, after her passing, I found Skittles and Nico... and well, here we are! I love these two little guys so much now and, I personally wouldn’t trade them for a copy of Bella. I’m just holding on to all of my wonderful memories of Bella. :heart:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
faislaq, I can't personally comment to your reply because someone is having way too much fun on this site, but I do want to say that scientists have recently discovered the tiger gene in India, in the hopes of cloning them,... just in case we lose those beautiful creatures.

I am convinced that they will soon be able to bring back animals that left a long time ago, like many different breeds of birds.
As far as Jurassic Park goes,.. lets hope not.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
As far as Jurassic Park goes,.. lets hope not.
After everything that went wrong in the movies..... I don't think that any company would consider it... (if it was posible)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'd also say no. I lost my heart cat in 2017 and while you could replicate her genetically, there's something about neuroplasticity that I think contributes to personality that can't be replicated except by nature. She was there for me during the worst period of my life, after I lost my father, and I'm sure that my grief aided in our bond. Also, I wouldn't want her to suffer the same illness again and that is affected by genetics only so far.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If cloning could 'reincarnate' at a certain age, I'd do it in a heartbeat with one of my dogs.
But cloning is only a genetic duplicate.
The animal we've lost can never be remade.
It's life's experiences that shaped them into the beings we loved.