• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would this bird fly?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Hey bird people,
So. A 20-30 yr old Red Lored Amazon, cage bound since he went through parrot puberty in a 20"x20" cage. Do you think he still knows how to fly? (Not my bird btw.)

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think he would need daily wing exercises & maybe eventually he will be able to fly. It will take weeks, months of working with the bird to help him build up his flight muscles. You won't know unless you try. If it fails at least you gave that poor bird a chance at flight.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There is also a difference between ability and want. I know Ripley CAN fly but the drive after not being able to for so long just isn't there

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Sad to hear about this, poor thing. You've got some great advice though!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I took in a BFA from a similar situation. He had not been out of his tiny, one-perch cage in many years. When he would try to fly I thought he would have a heart attack. It terrified me, he'd be breathing so hard. But we worked to get in better shape and he really loved getting places via flight and would even launch from the floor and gain height almost vertically. That takes power. And he loved flying. I loved watching him.