• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would like to add a GCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrybird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CHRISTA
I currently have one tiel and have been thinking about adding another bird. I know that it can be tricky adding another bird of the same kind to the same cage. The thing is, I really would like a GCC, does that mean I absolutely will need to keep it in a separate cage. Wondering if anyone has successfully housed a tiel and GCC together?

I am planning to get a bigger cage so regardless I will have two cages, although my current one is on the small size. My hubby has even suggested moving the old love seat out of the den and putting the new cage in there so he is definitely on board with the idea:dance5:I just need to think it through because I could easily end up with wall to wall cages lol. Any suggestions....what to do...what to do?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
There are no guarantees that a GCC and Cockatiel will get along, it depends entirely on them. Caging them together isn‘t something I would do (nor really recommend…), however, out of cage time together can be possible, again depending on the two pretty different species. GCCs are very hypo, or to put it simpler, full-on, maybe too full-on for some Cockatiels, so I am not sure that a smaller bird could deal with one.

My two GCCs aren‘t a fan of my Cockatiels (they will give them the “I WILL EAT YOU!” threat), and like I said, considering Cockatiels are so laid back, I don‘t know if they could deal with such a hypo, full-on bird even if they didn‘t give them the I will eat you threat. With that said though, one of my GCCs, Leila, does get along fantastic with my Indian Ringneck, but they are
n‘t caged together either, so it is possible, but it all depends.

alys

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alice
Personally, I would not house either of my conures, GCC especially with another similarly sized bird. The reason is that Hippo is *extremely* temperamental and has never failed to express herself by ripping out a chuck of my finger (literally, a chunk!) or a beakful of feathers from Dino's head. I don't know about your future bird, who may or may not be as feisty as my Hippo, but I would err on the side of caution and start them out in separate cages. In my experience, having owned a 'tiel many years ago, GCCs and 'tiels have very different personalities. My 'tiel was very sweet, hardly ever bit anyone, and would run away when our tiny budgie displayed the slightest bit of aggression toward her. Hippo, however, is a very in-your-face type of bird who won't hesitate to push another bird (in this case, Dino...) off a perch or even attack (even though he's bigger!) if he were in her way.

Again, your future GCC may not be as feisty as mine, but keep in mind that many GCC owners at one point or another tend to describe their GCC as very nippy and stubborn, while 'tiels in general are considered more docile and laid-back. That's not to say that they won't become friends with a lot of supervised together-time though! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My thought would be that regardless, you will need two cages, even right away. Even though birds are completely different than people, I try to find a parallel between what I expect from birds and what I expect from people.

Personally, if I had been living in my house, alone, for x amount of years, and then my best friend told me that I was to be forced to live with someone new (someone they didn't even really know that well themselves!) I think I would be pretty ticked off! While in time we may become friends, thrusting me and a stranger together would not make it easier, and in fact may make it harder.

So, with birds we also of course want to quarantine, and then I believe in out-of-cage introductions first. So, while this is happening and they are learning about each other, it would be best for them to be separate. If, after a while, they seem to be bonding well, then you could arrange some sleep overs and see how it goes :)

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
:agreed: While I have seen the occasional tiel/conure odd couple, I would never consider caging the two together. Even a little GCC beak is bigger and stronger than that of a tiel, and they are much more likely to chomp right down and do damage than a tiel is. There is high potential for serious injury to the tiel if they get into a quarrel, even if they are otherwise friendly.

Countrybird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CHRISTA
Thanks for the input. My tiel is pretty calm, but I've never had him around any other birds so don't know how he'd act. My mom had a GCC and it was a really sweet bird (that's what made me want one), didn't seem hyper or unruly at all, but I know they are all individuals. I don't want to put my tiel at risk, so it probably is better to house them separately and I should go meet a few GCC before I make any decisions. I may end up getting another tiel, but I like to research things to death before I make any decisions.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I have both a gcc and a tiel. My gcc, Paris, lived fairly peacefully with my tiel and lovebird in their own cages. I think her gender may have a lot to do with it - the 2 males that are now in the flock don't get along with either of the smaller girls. My cockatiel is very docile and is kept flighted so she can escape that annoying situation where they won't stop bugging her. I wouldn't house them together, and be prepared for the potentially aggressive GCC - however, you may find they do okay for the most part. :)

Gcc's are wonderful fids!

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
My gcc was VERY high energy, very nippy and very bird aggressive. He played rough and if he was ever allowed too near other birds, he'd be out for blood.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
Even adding another GCC after jak was a guess on the result. Any time you add a new bird be prepared for them not to get along. They have a number of nice cages out there with a split level to them and you don't have to necessarily have two cages next to or near each other taking up additional space.

Status
Not open for further replies.