• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would it be cruel to take away all weaving materials?

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks for sharing! If you have any pics of any of their creations I'd love to see!

I've decided that I can not take away Blu's weaving materials completely because he gets into trouble (like trying to get into the heating vent or engraving my wooden door frames) and because he really doesn't play with toys so it's a good outlet to keep him busy, as you say. And now I do as you do too. I don't let his projects get too large and out of control. I dismantle them either every day or every other day and we are both ok with that, I think.

Attachments

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I took some pictures of Sweetpeas weaving, he is not finished weaving yet, pictures are up above, I think I have pictures, in this section of Quakers , also. I would of liked to have taken pictures of the inside of his cage, but he hates my camera, and takes a major hissy fit.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I took some pictures of Sweetpeas weaving, he is not finished weaving yet, pictures are up above, I think I have pictures, in this section of Quakers , also. I would of liked to have taken pictures of the inside of his cage, but he hates my camera, and takes a major hissy fit.
Those are great pics! Thank you for sharing! The look so similar to what goes on at my house! Lol! I will have to browse through Quaker causeway later when I have some more time.

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
Sad to say but animals of all species feel a very distinct urge to reproduce. I doubt that this can be suppressed. The photos here are so amazing, what a talent this little bird has! All I can think is that he needs a mate and to become a family, which is exactly what is natural. Beautiful parrots were not created for our amusement, they are wild animals in spite of the fact that we take them into our homes. It must be heartbreaking to see such devotion to his nest but that is a fact of life. Perhaps you could let him have his family? Or put him into a breeding program.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sad to say but animals of all species feel a very distinct urge to reproduce. I doubt that this can be suppressed. The photos here are so amazing, what a talent this little bird has! All I can think is that he needs a mate and to become a family, which is exactly what is natural. Beautiful parrots were not created for our amusement, they are wild animals in spite of the fact that we take them into our homes. It must be heartbreaking to see such devotion to his nest but that is a fact of life. Perhaps you could let him have his family? Or put him into a breeding program.
I doubt a breeding program would be on the list of "to do's" for Blu.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thank you! I will tell him you were impressed by his building skills :)

I do agree that humans are selfish to keep wild animals but unfortunately, he was already imprinted on and depended on humans when I met him. So I just do the best I can to try to make him as happy as I can. I definitely wouldn't let him breed, as much as he might want to, because in the US we have far too many birds needing homes already and I would never contribute to that problem. I will let him continue to mate with his perch when he gets the urge and he gets over it as soon as he's done. :lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This thread was my inspiration for imposing some limits on Ripley. He now has to go to his cage for bedtime was the biggest change... Usually he has 24/7 free access. It has helped SO MUCH with his regurgitating on everything. I think I was so caught up trying to give him the world that I wasn't seeing that too much freedom can be as harmful as too little.

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
Thank you! I will tell him you were impressed by his building skills :)

I do agree that humans are selfish to keep wild animals but unfortunately, he was already imprinted on and depended on humans when I met him. So I just do the best I can to try to make him as happy as I can. I definitely wouldn't let him breed, as much as he might want to, because in the US we have far too many birds needing homes already and I would never contribute to that problem. I will let him continue to mate with his perch when he gets the urge and he gets over it as soon as he's done. :lol:
I used to live in Sarasota, Florida and there was a fabulous colony of escaped Monk parakeets who had made a huge community nest where it seemed to be dozens of mated pairs. I have very mixed feelings about birds in captivity but knowing how intelligent they really are it does seem a sad thing to keep them isolated from their own kind and especially alone in a cage. I also think some people do a very good job of keeping captive birds happy and safe, and then it is a sort of mutual benefit since birds have the power to captivate human beings! I also support rescue organizations here in Canada, Parrot Partners in Ontario do a wonderful job educating prospective parrot rescuers and giving homes to abandoned birds. Here in Vancouver, we have another good rescue group, Greyhaven, which does a similar service. :bliss:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Getting somebirdy a companion bird doesn't guarantee happiness though. My Quaker girls bonded to each other even though they each came from separate homes and wanted nothing to do with the two boys. JJ Quaker bonded to gcc Beni (both males) though JJ has his own cage. Baby Blue bonded to me and lives in his own cage too; he and JJ are not "amigos". Blind Polly prefers to be by herself in her own cage though she can hear the other birds.