• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would it be cruel to take away all weaving materials?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Guys, I'm not sure what to do. I've been giving Blu weaving materials for so long now, and since it's really the only activity he does, I feel it would be cruel to take it away now.

He used to just build until things were up to his own standards, or until the mood was over over with, and then he'd go back to being my sweet little friend.

But I think ever since I've transitioned him off of straws on onto tri poly rope it's become a nonstop obsession that never seems to end. He does it from the minute he wakes until the minute he goes to bed

And he's so mean and bitey now. He'll come over to try spend a minute with me here and there but then he just bites me constantly. He barely eats too. It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to be around him. He actually looks possessed. His eyes are not the same. He's on a mission.

Another issue is, hr's become so accustomed to sleeping in the nest on top of the cage that I feel bad that he'll be so unhappy sleeping in his cage like he used to do. Bed time is going to be a nightmare.

I just want to know - would it be cruel to completely deprive him of weaving? Like absolutely nothing to weave? He doesn't play with toys so that's really the only enriching thing he has to do.

I'm at a loss now. I know you're not supposed to let a parrot have access to nesty things but somehow I worry that if he can't weave he has nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is a hard one. I understand though; Ripley LOVES cardboard boxes. If he had it his way, he would be in a cardboard box chewing 20 hours a day. Unfortunately, when in cardboard boxes, he gets even more hormonal than he is now, holds his poop for hours on end (won't poop in the box), eats and drinks very infrequently, and overall I had a lot of the same concerns as you.

In the end....I took away cardboard boxes. Since then he has transitioned to chewing toys outside of the boxes and has a much healthier appetite, more frequent droppings, and overall is healthier (has put on some weight which he needed to do).

Here's the thing - you can take it away and see how it goes. If it really doesn't seem to help the situation after a reasonable amount of time, then you can always introduce it back to him :)

I think of it this way - if my child was so obsessed with an activity that they were being mean to me, and potentially physically harming themselves, it would not be cruel for me to make changes to prevent that.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
This is a hard one. I understand though; Ripley LOVES cardboard boxes. If he had it his way, he would be in a cardboard box chewing 20 hours a day. Unfortunately, when in cardboard boxes, he gets even more hormonal than he is now, holds his poop for hours on end (won't poop in the box), eats and drinks very infrequently, and overall I had a lot of the same concerns as you.

In the end....I took away cardboard boxes. Since then he has transitioned to chewing toys outside of the boxes and has a much healthier appetite, more frequent droppings, and overall is healthier (has put on some weight which he needed to do).

Here's the thing - you can take it away and see how it goes. If it really doesn't seem to help the situation after a reasonable amount of time, then you can always introduce it back to him :)

I think of it this way - if my child was so obsessed with an activity that they were being mean to me, and potentially physically harming themselves, it would not be cruel for me to make changes to prevent that.
That was very helpful, Shawna, thank you!
I'll take it all away this weekend and see how it goes.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That was very helpful, Shawna, thank you!
I'll take it all away this weekend and see how it goes.

If he didn't do the bad stuff w/ the straws, maybe swap out the polly rope for the straws. If you can do it while he can't see you, even better.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
If he didn't do the bad stuff w/ the straws, maybe swap out the polly rope for the straws. If you can do it while he can't see you, even better.
That thought actually crossed my mind but the whole reason I stopped using straws (besides knowing they're really bad for the environment) is because they're going the be banned in January, I believe. I won't even be able to buy them after that.

Tell you the truth though, he barely touches straws anymore since discovering the paper rope. I may give him just a few straws so it doesn't feel like he has absolutely nothing. Atleast for a very short time until I can get him to calm down. Thank you for the idea!

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I’ll put it into human context, having ocd makes my life so much harder than it has to be. If I was fixated on a thing and someone could just remove it from my life completely, that would instantly improve my quality of life. I personally would pull everything weave-able and see if that doesn’t relieve Blu and restore him to his normal self.

You’re not taking something away to strip him of anything pleasurable. From your description this has become an obsessive fixation, you’ll be helping Blu snap out of it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Does he like those woven mats? I'm wondering if he can busy himself with snipping off the grass bits from that to make his sculpture.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I’ll put it into human context, having ocd makes my life so much harder than it has to be. If I was fixated on a thing and someone could just remove it from my life completely, that would instantly improve my quality of life. I personally would pull everything weave-able and see if that doesn’t relieve Blu and restore him to his normal self.

You’re not taking something away to strip him of anything pleasurable. From your description this has become an obsessive fixation, you’ll be helping Blu snap out of it.
I appreciate that perspective, thank you!!

Does he like those woven mats? I'm wondering if he can busy himself with snipping off the grass bits from that to make his sculpture.
He doesn't really pay much attention to them right now. There's one on the side of his cage. Maybe if there's nothing else weave-able around he'll resort to that. I'll keep you guys posted! Thank you all again!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's always a compromise. Nesting season does not last all year. But nesting season comes every year. So let him have a season.

Without it you'll need to fill that stimulus hole.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
There's always a compromise. Nesting season does not last all year. But nesting season comes every year. So let him have a season.

Without it you'll need to fill that stimulus hole.
I would like to let him keep doing his thing but I'm just starting to wonder if it's just getting worse and worse, and if his urge is getting stronger and stronger, instead of filling his stimulus hole?

Should I get him some dummy eggs or something so that can get this over with? Lol! It just feels like it's been going on too long & I'm afraid it's becoming too engrained in him now he's getting so used to biting me that I'm afraid that will be a habit too.

Will he really ever naturally get over it if I let him be nesty? I just want to do the right thing but I don't want him to go into overload or something

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would like to let him keep doing his thing but I'm just starting to wonder if it's just getting worse and worse, and if his urge is getting stronger and stronger, instead of filling his stimulus hole?

Should I get him some dummy eggs or something so that can get this over with? Lol! It just feels like it's been going on too long & I'm afraid it's becoming too engrained in him now he's getting so used to biting me that I'm afraid that will be a habit too.

Will he really ever naturally get over it if I let him be nesty? I just want to do the right thing but I don't want him to go into overload or something

I doubt fake eggs will help but you never know till you try. This behaviour is what they do. He's just taking it a bit far.

What I meant by season is let him have his nest for somewhere between 6 - 12 weeks and then take it away for a number of months.

This is all an experiment.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I doubt fake eggs will help but you never know till you try. This behaviour is what they do. He's just taking it a bit far.

What I meant by season is let him have his nest for somewhere between 6 - 12 weeks and then take it away for a number of months.

This is all an experiment.
Ok, thanks John!

I can't remember dates very well because it seems like he's been doing this for so freaking long now. He never really gave it a break even with straws for a few months towards the end. It's just the meanness is getting worse with the tri paper ropes. But from looking back at pictures these tri paper rope nests have been going on for a little over 4 weeks. So I guess I can him a max of 2 more months and then no more weaving for a very long time. I will try to hold out. These bites are getting ridiculous though :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ok, thanks John!

I can't remember dates very well because it seems like he's been doing this for so freaking long now. He never really gave it a break even with straws for a few months towards the end. It's just the meanness is getting worse with the tri paper ropes. But from looking back at pictures these tri paper rope nests have been going on for a little over 4 weeks. So I guess I can him a max of 2 more months and then no more weaving for a very long time. I will try to hold out. These bites are getting ridiculous though :(

His 6 weeks is up.