• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would it be cruel to take away all weaving materials?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
View attachment 315179
Skittles was able to get one stick to stay by putting it through the hole of her food door. The others fell and she's actually worn out and decided to take a nap. She worked so hard lol
Good job Skittles! Just be careful not to let her start getting obsessive because Blu is still weaving crazed and mean. He's going so far as to stealing paper towels and trying to weave them now :facepalm:

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Good job Skittles! Just be careful not to let her start getting obsessive because Blu is still weaving crazed and mean. He's going so far as to stealing paper towels and trying to weave them now :facepalm:
NO WAY! So now you have to hide paper towels!!!! I feel like no matter what I do or don't do she's cage aggressive. She loves one of her toys that has little plastic pacifiers on a string. She pushes the pacifiers through the cage bars and pulls them out to play with them when she's done playing she pushes them all back through the cage.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
NO WAY! So now you have to hide paper towels!!!! I feel like no matter what I do or don't do she's cage aggressive. She loves one of her toys that has little plastic pacifiers on a string. She pushes the pacifiers through the cage bars and pulls them out to play with them when she's done playing she pushes them all back through the cage.
I think he was aggressive because I didn't think it was bad that I left like 5 old straws on his cagetop from a long time ago that he's resorted to have to weave with and I just took them away and he's already nicer. I don't usually hide the paper towels because there's always a roll on the table but when I have one single one laying around or in my hand he makes his move and runs off with it and brings it to his cage. He usually just lays it down in his wood box that's part of the java stand up there. Today is the first day he's actually trying to weave one in to his ladder.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I also meant to say that I think Blu's cage aggression is actually more room aggression because this whole room is his. He has alot of days where he's nice but today he's crazed.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
I also meant to say that I think Blu's cage aggression is actually more room aggression because this whole room is his. He has alot of days where he's nice but today he's crazed.
Blu is soooo pretty and his room/house is amazing. Skittles thinks everything belongs to her also and I don't have anything like what you have! She is not even a year old yet so I see what I have to look forward to lol

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Blu is soooo pretty and his room/house is amazing. Skittles thinks everything belongs to her also and I don't have anything like what you have! She is not even a year old yet so I see what I have to look forward to lol
Aww, thank you! Hopefully since Skittles is female she won't be as mean as Blu can be. I'm not sure but I thinks males can be more aggressive

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
I'm a mean mom but I'm tired of the biting so I've resorted to putting something scary up there (jolly ball) so he can cool his jets a little. I will take it down before I leave.
Not mean at all! I use a long stick to keep her from biting me. It works very well when I put it between her and myself. I hadn't thought of leaving on her cage though like you have the ball. I'll try that

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I hadn't thought of leaving on her cage though like you have the ball. I'll try that
Oh gosh! Now I really feel bad! I only did that because Blu is crazed today and keeps flying over to me just to bite me because he's frustrated he can't weave. I don't want you to scare Skittles and make her think her cage is a scary place! Blu is pretty fearless so it's hard to scare him.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
:laughing12:
I'm a mean mom but I'm tired of the biting so I've resorted to putting something scary up there (jolly ball) so he can cool his jets a little. I will take it down before I leave

View attachment 315190

And now he's changed his tune

View attachment 315191 View attachment 315192

I love how he’s staring down the scary jolly ball! Lol
Blu is such a little spitfire. He’s sooo adorable too, so it’s gotta be rough during these times:dead:

I’m glad you found something to calm him down...even if it’s only temporary!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Forgot to add, I also love his room! I really need to get an orbiter, I like how you have it on the hanger instead of using the ceiling!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:laughing12:

I love how he’s staring down the scary jolly ball! Lol
Blu is such a little spitfire. He’s sooo adorable too, so it’s gotta be rough during these times:dead:

I’m glad you found something to calm him down...even if it’s only temporary!
Thank you! I'm not home anymore so I took the scary jolly ball away and the remainder of the old straws I forgot about before. I hope when I get home later he'll be a little sweeter.
Forgot to add, I also love his room! I really need to get an orbiter, I like how you have it on the hanger instead of using the ceiling!
Thank you! I did that not only because I'd prefer not to screw stuff into the ceiling but also because I don't want to give him any ideas about flying onto the ceiling fan. So far, so good

I like your setup especially the nice tree with a window view.
Thank you! I got that one on ebay

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
3 of my 7 Quakers are weavers, 1 of them is really quite the weaver, When his nest gets to big, I dismantle it, and put all the pieces back into his cage, and he restarts all over again, keeps him busy too, as he doesnt play much with toys, but loves to shred the new ones I give him as he uses the pieces he gets off his toys to weave, my other 2 weavers, have just started to show an interest in weaving, they usually just weave pieces of newspaper thbetween their cage bars and sometimes they will even use their long dried chili peppers to weave between bars too.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
3 of my 7 Quakers are weavers, 1 of them is really quite the weaver, When his nest gets to big, I dismantle it, and put all the pieces back into his cage, and he restarts all over again, keeps him busy too, as he doesnt play much with toys, but loves to shred the new ones I give him as he uses the pieces he gets off his toys to weave, my other 2 weavers, have just started to show an interest in weaving, they usually just weave pieces of newspaper thbetween their cage bars and sometimes they will even use their long dried chili peppers to weave between bars too.
Thanks for sharing! If you have any pics of any of their creations I'd love to see!

I've decided that I can not take away Blu's weaving materials completely because he gets into trouble (like trying to get into the heating vent or engraving my wooden door frames) and because he really doesn't play with toys so it's a good outlet to keep him busy, as you say. And now I do as you do too. I don't let his projects get too large and out of control. I dismantle them either every day or every other day and we are both ok with that, I think.