• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would it be cruel to take away all weaving materials?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
He's still being sweet but now his focus has turned into trying to get into the curtains.

20190908_222945.jpg
He went through this obsession a while back and I wasn't positive about what his intentions were. But I had a suspicion it was to try to find a nesting spot. Now I think I can confidently say that that's what he's looking for. I'm not allowed to touch them when he's by them :rolleyes:

I was a bit worried because he pushes the edge of the curtain over and tries to chew on the metal rod underneath. I worry about metal toxicity. Luckily, I had some vet tape around and I wrapped it up. So now I don't care if he wants to go at it all evening! Good thing I only keep the curtains up before bed and while he's sleeping.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
So glad that Blu has (hopefully!) forgotten about his obsession! It reminded me of when I had been obsessed with this game, The Sims -- I could play it for HOURS! and not do anything other than the minimum for keeping myself alive that I actually had to see the doctor to get a cortisone shot for carpal tunnel :o: To this day, whenever I see the opportunity to play that game again, I don't even dare play even one minute because of my fear of that slippery slope!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
So glad that Blu has (hopefully!) forgotten about his obsession! It reminded me of when I had been obsessed with this game, The Sims -- I could play it for HOURS! and not do anything other than the minimum for keeping myself alive that I actually had to see the doctor to get a cortisone shot for carpal tunnel :o: To this day, whenever I see the opportunity to play that game again, I don't even dare play even one minute because of my fear of that slippery slope!
Thank you! Wow, I'm glad you beat your addiction too! Those games can get out of hand sometimes. I know of a young guy who plays from the minute he wakes up till the minute he goes to bed and he never really moves from the chair. Hopefully he'll snap out of it too.

This morning Blu was still mostly sweet and then he found a qtip and was desperately trying to weave it. I didn't work though because it wasn't long enough :wacky:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
@CrazyBirdChick That young guy is my fear, too! I feel like its so easy to be glued to our phones, computers, TV, etc, these days, that I do try to make a conscious effort to be disconnected from the online world :sleeping3:

By the way, Blu's beak always looks so healthy! The end of Wally's beak is usually flake-y and Ive tried with more chew toys, but its tough to find one that she will play with consistently. Do you have any advice or let me know what you do with Blu?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
@CrazyBirdChick That young guy is my fear, too! I feel like its so easy to be glued to our phones, computers, TV, etc, these days, that I do try to make a conscious effort to be disconnected from the online world :sleeping3:

By the way, Blu's beak always looks so healthy! The end of Wally's beak is usually flake-y and Ive tried with more chew toys, but its tough to find one that she will play with consistently. Do you have any advice or let me know what you do with Blu?
It's good that you make an effort to be disconnected from the internet sometimes. I realized just how addicted I am when I cracked my phone screen last week. I took it to a Sprint store for repair and was without it for an hour and a half. I can not even count how many times I reached for it even though I didn't have it. It was a wake up call. But sadly I'm too weak to try to stop. :lol:

Thank you for the compliment about Blu's beak! Honestly he doesn't really chew on toys either! Every once in a while when I'm putting on makeup he chews on my plastic Caboodle makeup carrier. When he does that I always worry he's going to break his beak so I don't allow it to go on too much. His beak definitely gets flaky & rough looking though! It's nowhere near perfect.

One time a huge chunk came off and I freaked out but it just naturally shed and I have no idea how it happened
20190628_103430.jpg

The only thing I can think of that might make it shiny and smooth is that he loves to sit by and preen my coconut oiled face :roflmao:

Dragooness

Sitting on the front steps
Wow that best was amazing for a single boy!

I do believe that is the most handsome quaker I have seen. I hope my bird looks that great some day! All the glossy feathers!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Wow that best was amazing for a single boy!

I do believe that is the most handsome quaker I have seen. I hope my bird looks that great some day! All the glossy feathers!
Awww, that's such a nice thing to say! I will tell Blu you said when I get home!

Do you have a Quaker? Please forgive me for not knowing off the top of my head. I am working and don't have a chance to look back at your other posts right now.

Dragooness

Sitting on the front steps
I have one I rescued. I never wanted a quaker actually, I wanted a blue peachy. But I got the call and couldn't... Wouldn't say no.

I'll post another thread I've found out a bit more and I am disturbed and discusted at what this bird has been through. He is doing better, I don't know that he will ever be as friendly as your guy. I am okay with that he will have a life.

I AM so jealous though. Your guy is sweet and beautiful

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have one I rescued. I never wanted a quaker actually, I wanted a blue peachy. But I got the call and couldn't... Wouldn't say no.

I'll post another thread I've found out a bit more and I am disturbed and discusted at what this bird has been through. He is doing better, I don't know that he will ever be as friendly as your guy. I am okay with that he will have a life.

I AM so jealous though. Your guy is sweet and beautiful
Thank you sooo much for rescuing! That is such a wonderful thing! :hug8:

To tell you the truth, I never wanted a blue Quaker! I had my heart set on a green one. But it just kind of happened and I'm thankful that it did.

And also, to tell you the truth, Blu has his sweet moments but he's still a Quaker and can be very mean and a handful too. But I love him through thick and thin!

Can't wait to read more about your rescue!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
OMG that game is a literal rabbit hole! Jumped down that one myself a few times :lol::dance4::dance2: I had to banish my gaming rig to snap outta that..

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Man it never gets old for me, I can game all day every day. Been a few years since I dropped everything. For me it was mostly Sims, WoW, and CoC after I packed up my rig, now I don’t even watch tv :shrug: but I use my PS4 for streaming so that comes with its own addictive temptations...;) I’d much rather spend my time with my fids ❤

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Man it never gets old for me, I can game all day every day. Been a few years since I dropped everything. For me it was mostly Sims, WoW, and CoC after I packed up my rig, now I don’t even watch tv :shrug: but I use my PS4 for streaming so that comes with its own addictive temptations...;) I’d much rather spend my time with my fids ❤
I went back to WoW with the new xpac but stopped in April and have no urge to go back, even with Classic. My rig is just a gaming laptop due to space and I use it all day. Slade likes to watch movies and shows with me though so there is that benefit. I think the only thing I've played lately is Gears 5 and that's cause my husband is making me :laughing2:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I’ll put it into human context, having ocd makes my life so much harder than it has to be. If I was fixated on a thing and someone could just remove it from my life completely, that would instantly improve my quality of life. I personally would pull everything weave-able and see if that doesn’t relieve Blu and restore him to his normal self.

You’re not taking something away to strip him of anything pleasurable. From your description this has become an obsessive fixation, you’ll be helping Blu snap out of it.
Great post. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I gave Blu some vine twists the other day and he's been trying to weave them

This was what I came home to yesterday
20190911_203942.jpg

And believe it or not, this is what I came home to today!
20190912_205621.jpg
It's a perfect triangle!:shocking:

I promise I had nothing to do with it!